Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I was a massive fan of Scott as well to be fair. 

He basically had all the attributes you could want in a modern day forward. Six foot plus, quick and strong. Great touch, comfortable with either foot, could dribble etc. 

His end product was a bit hit or miss but he was still only 18 to be fair. If he stayed another year or two, smoothed out some rough edges and became a more consistent goal threat then we’d have been looking at Turnbull level money. 

On the other hand, he might not of and we could be left regretting turning down 7 figures for a guy who’d only scored 4 league goals for the club. So you can absolutely see why he and the club both jumped at the Hull offer when it came in. 

I think Covid, injures and a lack of game time has obviously hampered his development down there but he’s still only 20. Plenty of time for him to develop, a loan move and a run of games seems a fairly sensible move for him this season. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, beesher said:

Am I the only one that's not arsed about going back to games until social distancing has been binned?

I've been in this boat all along - in my mind, it was going to be everyone back for a big "homecoming" game (which I still think would have been a great SPFL wide marketing idea)

BUT - I don't think there is a realistic chance of fully normal fitba for a while - even as crowds go up, we'll be scattered about the ground for a while and so when I saw the email for League cup games, I was right into it as being at the Scotland-Czech game reminded me of how fucking much I miss being at games. 

I'm on holiday, so will miss the QOTS game but never again will I look forward to an Annan game this much 🙂

29 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I was a massive fan of Scott as well to be fair. 

He basically had all the attributes you could want in a modern day forward. Six foot plus, quick and strong. Great touch, comfortable with either foot, could dribble etc. 

His end product was a bit hit or miss but he was still only 18 to be fair. If he stayed another year or two, smoothed out some rough edges and became a more consistent goal threat then we’d have been looking at Turnbull level money. 

On the other hand, he might not of and we could be left regretting turning down 7 figures for a guy who’d only scored 4 league goals for the club. So you can absolutely see why he and the club both jumped at the Hull offer when it came in. 

I think Covid, injures and a lack of game time has obviously hampered his development down there but he’s still only 20. Plenty of time for him to develop, a loan move and a run of games seems a fairly sensible move for him this season. 

This is pretty much where I am on him as well.

He picked up an injury that required a surgery in his first training session with Hull, then there was the Covid break. Hull were comfortably mid-table when he signed for them but they sold Bowen to West Ham and by the time they re-started the Championship again they went into freefall (IIRC a couple of their players bailed and said they wouldn't play) and somehow ended up relegated having been 14th and 13 points clear of relegation at the end of the January window.

I mentioned this in the St Johnstone thread but he only managed 3 league starts in League 1 last season (15 subs) so if he wasn't getting starts in League 1 it's difficult to see him getting games in the Championship.

The Erwin comparison kind of fits in so much as he's presumably pulling in a decent wedge and going by his IG stories seems to enjoy "Young Footballer" lifestyle with his missus. No judging here but there's a "too much, too young" vibe (in a football development sense). It's been a while since I looked but I'm not sure the Hull fans were particularly enamoured with him.

Edited by capt_oats

Erwin was unplayable in one in every ten games or so. I remember him tearing St Mirren and Killie apart a few times but he was so inconsistent and rough around the edges.

I liked James Scott. I’d sign him just because the picture of him on the horse.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

Erwin was unplayable in one in every ten games or so. I remember him tearing St Mirren and Killie apart a few times but he was so inconsistent and rough around the edges.

I liked James Scott. I’d sign him just because the picture of him on the horse.

Amazing that this wasn't the first thing posted tbqhwy.

IMG_7440.jpg

Well...this is from Banderson.

On reflection I think bringing Jimmy Scott home is something "The Thread" should put its weight and considerable influence behind.

Make it happen Burrows.

Edited by capt_oats

I like Scott a lot but if we're signing him I'd be more happy with it from the POV of not seeing him play against us rather than thinking he's necessarily what we need right now.  But if we're big time enough to be doing that right now then fair fucks, it has my blessing aye.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I like Scott a lot but if we're signing him I'd be more happy with it from the POV of not seeing him play against us rather than thinking he's necessarily what we need right now.  But if we're big time enough to be doing that right now then fair fucks, it has my blessing aye.

Actually think he is exactly what we might need just now tbh. He did his best work out of the right hand side and coming in, as an out ball or as a baller. Given that Roberts has forgotten how to play football in Gorgie again, Woolery might be the guy out there, Amazluzor looked v v v raw, could be Shields, but I'd be more confident with Scott out there than any of them (before a ball has been kicked admittedly).

Anyway;

I get that this isn't necessarily how it works or if it'd be something that we'd be amenable to but given a chunk of our extra £500k on top of the £1m was add-ons I wonder if we'd be open to side-lettering an element of that to bring him home and if that would be a preferable option for Hull.

I mean, it's in our interests for him to do well given we'll have a sell-on built in and him disappearing into obscurity Hastie-style doesn't really help us cash in.

In terms of what we want vs what we need, I'm still not sure Alexander is convinced by Lawleff especially given he seems to have been trying him out as a #10 rather than a wide player.

It leaves us with "forward" options of Watt, KVV, Woolery, Shields and Amaluzor (who on the face of it seems a punt). It'd be pretty fucking bold but there's definitely room for Scott in that group (as @thisGRAEME's mentioned above).

if it was a choice of bringing Jordan Roberts back on loan or Jimmy Scott coming home for a season then....

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

I would have thought our forward recruitment was pretty much done. However as we have a vested financial interest in his progression then I'd think we'd play him more often than not and ultimately that is what his parent club wants.

I think the money we got for James Scott just proved that English clubs have more to spend than they know what to do with.

On his day* an excellent player, and it wouldn’t surprise me seeing him back up here at any of the teams mentioned considering he’s from through here in East Dunbartonshire and would probably be happy getting someone local to his family but then again last I seen he looked pretty settled in Hull, even if he wasn’t really getting the desired game time.

*playing against St Mirren.

Just got the home top today. The Rubber badge is not as good as the stiched badge in my own opinion. The detail looks great but you just don't get the charm of the stiched badge.

Atleast it isn't jsut MFC stiched onto it.