Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Yeah kinda, the first one, the deep vein thrombosis was a freak and pretty rare. The second seemed to be caused by our defence being a crock of shit am him overextending himself which again seemed freakish and not related to the first. To suggest on ongoing issue or long term crock seems unfair on two sidelines I'd attribute to bad luck.

He was an excellent keeper for us, intelligent distribution (always a fan of an overhead arm through skiting the ball to a free winger on the halfway line) and excellent shot stopper who more than earned his international call up.

That Celtic are in a hole, "Sliding Doors" thing I'm sure he'll discuss with Si Ferry and the ginger cokewomble in 10 years time.

Seems GA values what he can see rather than what he's promised and I guess reckons Kelly is worth +9 points a season through his contributions which is a good return at our level. One thing is for certain, based on where we acquired him from if nobody bites for three years like it did with Randolph then it'll be a big dent in the pocket. I suspect the wages offered to secure the move are factored on him moving in a year or 18 months.

Aye, I think it's easy to forget (I certainly did) that him not making an appearance in the curtailed 19/20 season was largely down to Gillespie having the jersey rather than injury. Sure, an element may have been down to not using him if we didn't need to off the back of the DVT but it's not the injury black hole it looks like on first glance, albeit it's bookended by 2 serious ones (if you can class a DVT an "injury").

As far as the Kelly wages go, I'd like to think that Burrows/the board are savvy enough to have realised that a goalkeeper is a tough position to make money off. As you say, we got hee haw for Randolph (not for the want of trying) and it's a probably unanswerable question but would Newcastle have paid us money for Gillespie if he'd another year on his deal? Maybe, but it's definitely not guaranteed.

The value of pushing the boat out for Kelly is that he's clearly a good goalkeeper with a good attitude and that in itself is probably worth the extra (I say that not knowing what the wages are or how far the boat has been pushed). So hopefully that's how we've approached it rather than leveraging against trading him down the line. Although, clearly that's something we'll be trying to do and we'll view him as a saleable asset. I expect a ton of shit-hot Liam Kelly #content incoming.

Replacing Randolph with the Hollis/Nielsen/Twardzik trifecta was probably the exception rather than the rule in that we somehow managed to finish 2nd with them whereas every other time we've just said "that'll do" it hasn't ended well - Samson almost single handedly relegating us one parry to the feet of an opposition striker at a time being a case in point.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't mind us taking a gamble on strikers etc. But having a sound goalkeeper is the difference between top 6 and getting relegated now. I said it a few pages back but if we hadn't signed Kelly we were absolutely going straight down. 

Hopefully it works out for him. He's got his coaching stuff on the go as well so he'll have something to do. Not sure what United's wage bill will look like though. 

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind us taking a gamble on strikers etc. But having a sound goalkeeper is the difference between top 6 and getting relegated now. I said it a few pages back but if we hadn't signed Kelly we were absolutely going straight down.

Definitely, look at the state Killie got themselves into with their keepers last season. They'd have stayed up if they didn't have Colin Doyle.

Although to be fair, they'd have probably stayed up with Doyle if we'd run with Chapman for the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

Definitely, look at the state Killie got themselves into with their keepers last season. They'd have stayed up if they didn't have Colin Doyle.

Although to be fair, they'd have probably stayed up with Doyle if we'd run with Chapman for the rest of the season.

Even with the small sample size I'm still having Chapman down as the worst I've ever seen. I'd fancy myself to save at least 2/3 of the goals at Accies just by simply standing there. 

Samson was awful but Chapman's never a keeper in a million years. 

41 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Even with the small sample size I'm still having Chapman down as the worst I've ever seen. I'd fancy myself to save at least 2/3 of the goals at Accies just by simply standing there. 

Samson was awful but Chapman's never a keeper in a million years. 

Aye, that performance at Accies was one for the ages. His attempts at saves looked like when you've been stuck in goals at 5's for a while and your choking to get back out so let a few in. 

Still blows my mind that he kept 2 clean sheets in 6 games, or 3 in 6 and a bit if you count the 30 mins he was on the park against Killie when we lost 0-2 but he didn't let one in.

I know it's hardly the benchmark for the likes of us but Chapmans performance when we lost 4-1 at home to Celtic in November was rotten.

I'm sure it was just after they got pumped off Sparta Prague and we didn't play too badly but Chapman didn't make any attempt to save anything. It was like when you play 5s and switch keepers after conceding a goal - he literally stood and watched all of Celtic's goals go past him.

Samson is still our worst ever keeper though IMO.

18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I know it's hardly the benchmark for the likes of us but Chapmans performance when we lost 4-1 at home to Celtic in November was rotten.

I'm sure it was just after they got pumped off Sparta Prague and we didn't play too badly but Chapman didn't make any attempt to save anything. It was like when you play 5s and switch keepers after conceding a goal - he literally stood and watched all of Celtic's goals go past him.

Samson is still our worst ever keeper though IMO.

Aye. For me it's context - Chapman was brought in as cover in a very, very weird season, Archer was brought in to replace Carson so we clearly knew Chapman wasn't up to being a first pick. The Accies game was on all timer and the circumstances worked against him in a way. We'd sent Archer back down the road (and he was about to sign for Boro anyway) presumably thinking Carson was back given he'd played the 90 mins at Tannadice in the 1-1 draw but ended up breaking again in the Kilie game.

Chapman just seemed like a player who had very quickly realised he was absolutely miles out his depth. Especially in the games like Celtic.

With Samson we just stuck with him in the first place and actually made him our #1 then we got to January and still didn't replace him. We just brought in Griffiths to replace Brill on the bench.

For me Twardzik was obviously proven to be massively out of his depth- didn't he retire straight away after?- but at least had a purple patch of form whereas Samson and Chapman never looked remotely competent.

The Twardzik thing is actually really weird in hindsight. How did three German brothers end up pitching up at various Scottish clubs, being utterly shite in various positions then going back home to the German pub leagues?

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Isn't Trev just switching our bench for United's bench really?

Utd have been trying to punt Siegrist all summer. They weren't trying to sign Kelly to have him sit on the bench.

Finding the right club to sell a keeper to is tricky. Managers rarely try and upgrade from a decent keeper so Utd are looking for a club with a bunch of shite keepers who will pay money. Probably doesn't help that Siegrist finished the season injured.

Carson is probably signed to be number 1 for when Utd find a buyer. Last thing they want is to punt a keeper and be scrambling to find a replacement.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

For me Twardzik was obviously proven to be massively out of his depth- didn't he retire straight away after?- but at least had a purple patch of form whereas Samson and Chapman never looked remotely competent.

The Twardzik thing is actually really weird in hindsight. How did three German brothers end up pitching up at various Scottish clubs, being utterly shite in various positions then going back home to the German pub leagues?

I think he's still playing for someone in Europe. Had a couple of shite injuries too I'm sure. 

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The heads gone from some sections when we binned him was genuinely mind-blowing.

Another time when I genuinely wonder what some of our support are smoking. 

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Utd have been trying to punt Siegrist all summer. They weren't trying to sign Kelly to have him sit on the bench.

Finding the right club to sell a keeper to is tricky. Managers rarely try and upgrade from a decent keeper so Utd are looking for a club with a bunch of shite keepers who will pay money. Probably doesn't help that Siegrist finished the season injured.

Carson is probably signed to be number 1 for when Utd find a buyer. Last thing they want is to punt a keeper and be scrambling to find a replacement.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/2322937/dundee-united-knock-back-ipswich-town-offer-benjamin-siegrist/

Seems strange they'd knock back an offer if they're desperately trying to pun him.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

They wanted more from Ipswich. Ipswich said  no and went and got Hladky (ex-Midden) from Salford instead.

Doesn't mean they aren't trying to sell him.