Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Have season tickets been posted out yet, if so what is the turn around between buying and receiving it?

Was in the ticket office yesterday in passing to pick mine up , not in yet reckoned it would be another week or so.  

Still reckon at the top of their respective games, Carson is still your best keeper.

Crying shame the luck he's had with injuries. Looked set to get a much bigger club than Motherwell at one point, now his arse will be sat on the bench for the foreseeable.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Still reckon at the top of their respective games, Carson is still your best keeper.

Crying shame the luck he's had with injuries. Looked set to get a much bigger club than Motherwell at one point, now his arse will be sat on the bench for the foreseeable.

He's supposedly going back to Hartlepool so I doubt he'll be on the bench for long. Carson's exit would have predicated us confirming Kelly.

The Celtic move not happening is as obvious a 'sliding doors' moment as you can get. After that we ended up in the Scottish Cup final which validated the decision to keep hold of him but the anticipated move never came that summer, he ended up with the DVT, we'd signed a consistently excellent keeper in Gillespie as his understudy and we rushed him back after his injury last season which compounded the whole thing.

The fact Carson didn't get his move but Gillespie ended up at Newcastle is as illustrative an example of the way things can go in a football career I guess.

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm a big Carson fan, but even at his pre-injury best, I reckon I would still favour Kelly. 

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm a big Carson fan, but even at his pre-injury best, I reckon I would still favour Kelly. 

I'm not a big fan of Kelly although appreciate that every club he's been at in Scotland the fans end up loving him. Will no doubt have a blinder against us now.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It could be a bit of recency bias because its been about 3 seasons since Carson has had any consistent run of games but I think I would agree with this. Kelly was phenomenal in the second half of last season.

No doubting Carson is a fine keeper when fit and healthy, it's just a shame thats not really happened for a variety of reasons in the last few seasons.  

37 minutes ago, dezz said:

It could be a bit of recency bias because its been about 3 seasons since Carson has had any consistent run of games but I think I would agree with this. Kelly was phenomenal in the second half of last season.

No doubting Carson is a fine keeper when fit and healthy, it's just a shame thats not really happened for a variety of reasons in the last few seasons.  

Aye, I think recency bias is definitely a thing here. To me there's not much between peak Carson (17/18) and Kelly, in fact Carson might just shade it.

The caveat there of course is that Carson was 29 then. Kelly's still only 25 which is young for a goalkeeper. When you look at the uptick in form we saw when Kelly took over last season it's difficult not to lean towards him at this point.

49 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not a big fan of Kelly although appreciate that every club he's been at in Scotland the fans end up loving him. Will no doubt have a blinder against us now.

Genuinely curious as to why you aren't a big fan? I thought he had maybe pitched up on loan at you guys and was shite but it doesn't look like it. fwiw, I can't stand Martin Boyle, just something about him, there is absolutely no reason for it at my end although he is starting to get a reputation for diving which is maybe fuelling it haha.

Kelly is about a rounded a keeper as you could possibly hope to have at our level. 

His footwork, positioning and handling is all excellent. He’s loud, confident, decisive and comes off his line well to deal with things when needed. His distribution is spot on- he’s a better passer than any of our midfielders. He also seems to produce at least one massive save per game to bail us out the shit. 

I’m also a big Trevor Carson fan but Kelly is arguably already on a par with peak Carson despite currently being 5 years younger than Carson was in that 17/18 season. Getting him tied down on a 3 year deal is an outstanding bit of business by the club.

Best of luck to Trev as well btw. Genuinely hope wherever he ends up he gets a run of games and a bit of luck, if anyone deserves a break it’s him. 

Edited by Casagolda

25 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Pretty sure the club would have mentioned the joint record fee. It's likely we paid a modest fee, but cant imagine it being anywhere close to that. 

Neither the Motherwell or QPR announcements mention a fee at all joint record, modest or even "undisclosed".

Normally if a fee has been involved there's some sort of reference to it. My guess would be that we've got him on a free with some sort of favourable clause towards QPR at the back end.

Motherwell:

"The goalkeeper, who spent the second half of the 2020/21 campaign on loan at the club, joins on a permanent basis from Queen’s Park Rangers on a three-year deal."

Link

QPR:

1914888861_ScreenShot2021-07-06at14_29_00.thumb.png.1161306248c41a9dfc5dca6b3ac6e3d6.png

Since Gannon was manager, Kelly is the second best keeper we've had between the sticks after Randolph imo.  Just ahead of Gillespie, Ruddy and Carson.   The fact in just under 12 years we've had 5 top quality (for our level) goalkeepers as well as some dodgy ones inbetween is amazing.  

39 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

The Greenock local paper seems to think that Morton have been in discussions about bringing Scott Fox back in on loan, and that it was all hindering on Kelly's deal being made permanent. So maybe Carson isn't going anywhere?

That would actually explain something that I had been wondering.

Specifically, why the Arsenal and Macedonian goalkeeper Dejan Iliev had started following Kevin Van Veen (who's recently been announced as having signed but has been around the club for a while) and Darragh O'Connor (who's been around the club for a while on trial) on Instagram given there seems to be absolutely no connection between any of the players other than two have been around Fir Park recently.

Fox to Morton on loan wouldn't surprise me at all if he's getting offered first team football vs sitting on our bench and Carson going back to Hartlepool for football and family reasons is a really obvious move.

It'd put us in the market for a back-up GK assuming Morrison's also going out on loan.

Edited by capt_oats

With regards to any fee for Kelly, I reckon we'll have paid QPR £50k (so they basically get their money back) and included a decent sell on so there's still potential for them to turn a profit.

Not a chance we've paid anything close to a 6 figure sum.