Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm still in a kind of 'believe it when I see it' mode re: Kelly. If it was Scott Burns reporting it then fine but I noticed that while Nixon had the info re: Archer to QPR and Kelly to us it was a different Sun journo who had the "permanent deal" story.

If you remember last summer Nixon had us looking at Lang on a permanent and he eventually ended up here on loan. The circumstances/finances around Kelly on a permanent still feel slightly ambitious to me. Even allowing for Carson leaving.

In terms of the full set I'd say there are a few ways you can look at it:

On a basic level Alexander's said he wants to run with a smaller squad than we had last season (no fucking shit!) to me that'd be roughly 23 or 24 players - two for each position and a couple spare for contingency. We're currently on 22 (including Morrison, Devine, Johnston and Cornelius).

Alternatively you had Alexander saying at the start of the close season that he was expecting between 7-10 players in. We've currently signed 4, Kelly would obviously make 5. In that respect I still kind of wonder whether we might see a couple of players move out either on loan or permanently (Carson is obviously gone, Morrison seems likely on loan given the way he was talking about needing games and would it be a massive surprise to see Lawleff end up back at Thistle on loan or suchlike?).

The third way is to look at who we've lost from our *cough* best XI last season and ask whether we've replaced them: IMO we've clearly not replaced Gallagher, Campbell and Polworth so those (along with Kelly) would be the minimum I'd say we'd be looking to add. After that there's an argument for a couple of squad options (and it'd squarely land us in Alexander's projected 7-10 range).

That's a really fucking long-winded way of me saying we probably need another 4 or 5.

In agreement with all of this. You mentioned Morrison, Johnston, Devine and Cornelius, it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see all four go out on loan. Given the total lack of any football last season, you have to think that they really do need to be playing every week this season. 

Johnston is probably still you enough that he would benefit from just being around the first team squad, Cornelius and Devine have had that for a few years now and probably need the game time. Would be interesting to see them get a decent gig in the championship and see how they do.

Ideally I would like to replace Allan Campbell as well but a creative type should be far higher up the list when it comes to midfielders. 

31 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

In agreement with all of this. You mentioned Morrison, Johnston, Devine and Cornelius, it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see all four go out on loan. Given the total lack of any football last season, you have to think that they really do need to be playing every week this season. 

Johnston is probably still you enough that he would benefit from just being around the first team squad, Cornelius and Devine have had that for a few years now and probably need the game time. Would be interesting to see them get a decent gig in the championship and see how they do.

Ideally I would like to replace Allan Campbell as well but a creative type should be far higher up the list when it comes to midfielders. 

Jackson Irvine is the ready made replacement for Alan Campbell ……… think he’s a free agent but doubt we could afford his wage demands

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm still in a kind of 'believe it when I see it' mode re: Kelly. If it was Scott Burns reporting it then fine but I noticed that while Nixon had the info re: Archer to QPR and Kelly to us it was a different Sun journo who had the "permanent deal" story.

Same.

I completely missed this Kelly "deal" because Scott Burns didn't tweet about it, or even like the story that was in the Sun which means that whatever is happening the info hasn't come out of Motherwell.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Same.

I completely missed this Kelly "deal" because Scott Burns didn't tweet about it, or even like the story that was in the Sun which means that whatever is happening the info hasn't come out of Motherwell.

Scott Burns has responded to a Dundee United fan’s tweet regarding Liam Kelly by saying he is on his way to Motherwell, so although he never broke the story he has confirmed it.

However until there’s either a photo with his scarf above his head or a video of him telling his dug that he’s signed for us then I will refuse to get too excited

37 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Jackson Irvine is the ready made replacement for Alan Campbell ……… think he’s a free agent but doubt we could afford his wage demands

Assuming that if he's not staying at Hibs, he isn't staying in Scotland.

That said, would love him.

50 minutes ago, weemac said:

Scott Burns has responded to a Dundee United fan’s tweet regarding Liam Kelly by saying he is on his way to Motherwell, so although he never broke the story he has confirmed it.

However until there’s either a photo with his scarf above his head or a video of him telling his dug that he’s signed for us then I will refuse to get too excited

If Kelly's dug is not a social media star for us this season we (ok, I) riot...

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed that yer man had posted a link to this on SO.

Couple of things I disagreed with but as a general bit of reading it was worth a flick through.

Sign every one of them man. Cult heroes aplenty in there. 

giphy.gif&key=cf11bf21153eb3f6430e14ec2b1c228765277d1312469f54387236d24647fe92
I thought I wouldn't be happier than when KVV signed but this tops it.

Think he'll prove to be the signing of the season. If he picks up where he left off I wouldn't be shocked to see him as Scotland number 1 by the end of it.