Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's his parent club who pay his wages, the "loan" club usually contribute a % which can be any amount. Could be 100% could be 10%. Whatever is agreed between the two parties.

Although in the case of "development loans" usually there's often no contribution in exchange for the loaning club being expected to give the player game time for "development".

Alternatively as was probably the case for Hastie, Rangers would probably cover the bulk of it in exchange for getting him out the door as he wasn't going to be playing. Pretty much an "out of sight, out of mind" scenario.

We'd have made a nominal contribution relative to the wage he's on at Rangers.

So basically Hastie is being paid something like £4K a week by Rangers to underperform for Motherwell?

8 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

So basically Hastie is being paid something like £4K a week by Rangers to underperform for Motherwell?

The rumour at the time was £5k p/w but...yes, pretty much. And he has another 2 years of his Rangers contract to run.

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The rumour at the time was £5k p/w but...yes, pretty much. And he has another 2 years of his Rangers contract to run.

What a mental club, they really are...frittering away £200-250k a year on utter dross...no wonder the wolves are never far from their front door...!!

2 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

What a mental club, they really are...frittering away £200-250k a year on utter dross...no wonder the wolves are never far from their front door...!!

You can see why he jumped at the chance to sign for Rangers. No way was he going to earn that amount of money for any other club.

12 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

You can see why he jumped at the chance to sign for Rangers. No way was he going to earn that amount of money for any other club.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't begrudge JH for jumping at the opportunity, it's life changing money at any age, let alone at 19, 20 years old.

3 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Not sure if I'm misreading this but just in case, we haven't actually signed Hastie this window. But aye that was probably the case last year. 

On the other hand, when we signed people like Hartley and Aldred etc, who were out of favour at similarly sized clubs, I'd imagine we basically took on their entire wages or close to it anyway.

This isn't a massive surprise given O'Connor's been popping up on the IG follower/following list of players over the past week or so (and he was playing as a trialist last weekend).

The story is Nixon's fwiw.

696987690_ScreenShot2021-07-04at12_44_42.thumb.png.e7ba06f0e344c345af62b90adb953ea5.png

Also:698142622_ScreenShot2021-07-04at12_47_00.thumb.png.37a32019221f12244f7e13c49c088457.png

Edited by capt_oats

@capt_oats has already covered the main points here but aye. He's got the rough makings of a PLER but looked so completely and utterly devoid of confidence he done bugger all last season.

There was a massive heads gone from the usual suspects when he left but honestly I couldn't blame him. It's genuinely life changing money. 

With the benefit of hindsight, we lucked out getting the development fee for him. His purple patch was the anomaly here, he was hardly pulling up trees on his loans. Wouldn't grudge him getting a move and having another go at it somewhere else.

Mind we used to get actual highlights of these games.

Anyway, Hastie, Campbell, Turnbull, Scott all on the park in a 9-1 win against Aberdeen. What a laugh that team was btw.

Hastie scores 2.

4-3 win from 3-0 down against Accies who have 2 men sent off (including IIRC Lewis Ferguson).

Hastie hat-trick. The 3rd is an absolute pearler.

Edited by capt_oats

I think saying a player needs to "drop down a level" is a pretty meaningless/vague platitude most of the time but definitely rings true in Hastie's case. There definitely is a player in there, possibly at Premiership level but definitely not for Rangers, really just feel he needs to play at least 30 odd games for an Inverness or Morton right now.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Mind we used to get actual highlights of these games.

Anyway, Hastie, Campbell, Turnbull, Scott all on the park in a 9-1 win against Aberdeen. What a laugh that team was btw.

Hastie scores 2.

4-3 win from 3-0 down against Accies who have 2 men sent off (including IIRC Lewis Ferguson).

Hastie hat-trick. The 3rd is an absolute pearler.

My takeaway from these videos is that James Scott turned himself into an absolute unit by the time he left us.

If the rumours of Kelly signing are true then it could be our most important signing of the summer. I've said it before but a having a good keeper in this league can be the difference between having a shite season or not.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

If the rumours of Kelly signing are true then it could be our most important signing of the summer. I've said it before but a having a good keeper in this league can be the difference between having a shite season or not.

If it's true, and if it's as suggested a permanent deal that we're pushing the boat out to complete then it's a pretty massive change in direction as far as transfer strategy goes.

I mentioned it before but we've had Robinson's rhetoric over the past however many seasons about "budget" and the "type of market" we're shopping in dictating what we can/can't do recruitment-wise. In fairness to Alexander while he's talked about us having a "strict" budget he's kind of swerved the "one of the lowest budgets in the league" chat.