Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

58 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Based on last season he made the right decision, he basically fooled quite a few people in a short spell before being found out. The club took quite a bit of stick when he left for not tying him down earlier to a long contract. Who would have know that those working with him every day would know best.

I think that's a bit unfair on Hastie tbh. The only people you could probably argue he "fooled" would be Rangers and f**k those guys.

He was a consistent performer for our u20s and scored a lot of goals (different types too). The club had watched him develop through the age groups from when he was a wean. What I'd say is that the club probably had a realistic idea of his value, which is why they were rumoured to have prioritised both Turnbull and Scott ahead of him when it came to sorting out contracts.

I've said this before though, if you look back at the club YouTube archive of u20s games (they're all there) Hastie's best performances came playing off the left (his natural side) or through the middle as a striker. I'm fairly sure that's where both Airdrie and Alloa played him as well. Craigan rarely, if at all, played him off the right.

What fucked him (IMO) was his purple patch coming with him playing as an inverted winger on the right cutting onto his left. That seemed to cement his position because he had  a good run of form when he broke into the side playing there. It was wild to me that Robinson was still trying to make that happen when he loaned him back last season.

In that regard even if Hastie had kb'd Rangers and signed that new deal with us I'm not sure he'd have fared any better because I don't think Robinson knew what to do with him.

I genuinely think there's a pler in there but it needs him to find a coach who is able to look beyond that purple patch in our first team and work out how to get the best out him as all the tools are there.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I genuinely think there's a pler in there but it needs him to find a coach who is able to look beyond that purple patch in our first team and work out how to get the best out him as all the tools are there.

I was almost caught out with last year's Hastie announcement being re-cycled as I got the impression that Alexander thought there was a pler there and so it wouldn't have been a vast shock to me.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think that's a bit unfair on Hastie tbh. The only people you could probably argue he "fooled" would be Rangers and f**k those guys.

He was a consistent performer for our u20s and scored a lot of goals (different types too). The club had watched him develop through the age groups from when he was a wean. What I'd say is that the club probably had a realistic idea of his value, which is why they were rumoured to have prioritised both Turnbull and Scott ahead of him when it came to sorting out contracts.

I've said this before though, if you look back at the club YouTube archive of u20s games (they're all there) Hastie's best performances came playing off the left (his natural side) or through the middle as a striker. I'm fairly sure that's where both Airdrie and Alloa played him as well. Craigan rarely, if at all, played him off the right.

What fucked him (IMO) was his purple patch coming with him playing as an inverted winger on the right cutting onto his left. That seemed to cement his position because he had  a good run of form when he broke into the side playing there. It was wild to me that Robinson was still trying to make that happen when he loaned him back last season.

In that regard even if Hastie had kb'd Rangers and signed that new deal with us I'm not sure he'd have fared any better because I don't think Robinson knew what to do with him.

I’m just not convinced there is. I would have said he would have developed further if he’d stayed with us for another 12 months but was genuinely surprised just how poor he was last season, he failed to improve at all. Robinson certainly did have form for playing players out of position for sure, Turnbull out wide left was a cracker and the full back positions need no explanation and maybe there is a fair point regarding playing on the left, I honestly never watched any  of his u20 games. Even given that though I just don’t see an individual going anywhere which is a shame, he’s just slowly looking like he will drift down the leagues.

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I read that as “I genuinely think there’s a PIER in there” and I was going to make a godawful joke about how he could get in the f**king sea, before realising what you had actually written

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

I’m just not convinced there is. I would have said he would have developed further if he’d stayed with us for another 12 months but was genuinely surprised just how poor he was last season, he failed to improve at all. Robinson certainly did have form for playing players out of position for sure, Turnbull out wide left was a cracker and the full back positions need no explanation and maybe there is a fair point regarding playing on the left, I honestly never watched any  of his u20 games. Even given that though I just don’t see an individual going anywhere which is a shame, he’s just slowly looking like he will drift down the leagues.

Aye, I mean if your frame of reference is what he's done (or hasn't done) for the first team then that's a totally logical and understandable conclusion to draw.

From my POV having watched him regularly as one of our better players over 2 and a bit seasons in the u20s alongside Campbell, Turnbull etc I'm probably a bit more open to what he can offer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we should be bringing him back or he'd be worth a run in our first team but there's definitely more to him that he was able to show last season.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: oh aye, wasn't a dig or anything. I was coming to this thread armed with the exact same thing until I seen you'd already posted it

Yaaaassss! Switched it now The Record have posted about it. I mean, they're also c***s but better them than The Sun.

f**k The Sun.

Edited by capt_oats

We sign Kelly that’s the signing of the summer for me, could be the difference between worst case scenario and having a decent season. The board and Alexander are starting to fill me with some hope/optimism for the season ahead. 

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

When a player goes "on loan" who pays his wages? In Hastie's case, Rangers or Motherwell?

Different cases for each loan but this one is likely rangers paying the bulk if not all of it. 

1 minute ago, Ill Ray said:

Different cases for each loan but this one is likely rangers paying the bulk if not all of it. 

So it's kind of a no-lose situation for Motherwell then?  

If he sucks, Well just sits him on the bench without having to worry about wasting money.

8 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

When a player goes "on loan" who pays his wages? In Hastie's case, Rangers or Motherwell?

It's his parent club who pay his wages, the "loan" club usually contribute a % which can be any amount. Could be 100% could be 10%. Whatever is agreed between the two parties.

Although in the case of "development loans" usually there's often no contribution in exchange for the loaning club being expected to give the player game time for "development".

Alternatively as was probably the case for Hastie, Rangers would probably cover the bulk of it in exchange for getting him out the door as he wasn't going to be playing. Pretty much an "out of sight, out of mind" scenario.

We'd have made a nominal contribution relative to the wage he's on at Rangers.

Edited by capt_oats