Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I see you're being linked with Josh McPake on loan. 

That was the other week (unless his name's appeared more recently). We've signed two wingers since we were first linked and we already had Lawleff in the building.

Tbqh we'd be as well just bringing Hastie back than McPake. Although, granted, he seemed to do alright at Harrogate last season. I'm advocating we do neither though.

Edited by capt_oats

Are there are any vantage points from where you can see the pitch at Dumbarton? I'm about to go out for a bike ride and I sometimes go out to Dumbarton Castle and back with a stop at the Erskine Bridge for the view.

I've got a feeling the view from the bridge will be more interesting than this kick-about though.

23 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Are there are any vantage points from where you can see the pitch at Dumbarton? I'm about to go out for a bike ride and I sometimes go out to Dumbarton Castle and back with a stop at the Erskine Bridge for the view.

I've got a feeling the view from the bridge will be more interesting than this kick-about though.

This is Dumbarton 

336D041E-FD24-4A60-AE97-F3495389F5A1.jpeg

14 minutes ago, dezz said:

Wonder if we’ll see any T.Rialist’s at the Dumbarton game today?

Hoping for more Frear/Manzinga levels of confusion.

Given the number of players we seem to have in the building that could be considered T.Rialists you'd imagine a number (if not all) of them would be involved otherwise what's the point in them being here.

Looking back to last pre-season (different circumstances, granted) we had two different XIs each half against United:

Motherwell first half: Fox, Cornelius, Donnelly, Hussain, McGinley, O’Hara, Turnbull, Semple, Hastie, Seedorf, Watt.

Motherwell second half: Carson, Grimshaw, Maguire, Lamie, Johnston, Campbell, Polworth, MacIver, Hylton, Robinson, White.

Link

9 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Jamie Ness is one of the trialists………

Injuries have absolutely ruined him - at least that's what it looked like whilst he was with us. I thought he'd be the best player in the league and he had a couple of decent performances but largely all he done was deny Finlay Robertson a taste of a Derby as he was selected instead after coming back from injury. The midfield was overrun and we lost 6-2. Scored a cracker against Morton though.

Cracking article on him here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-rangers-star-jamie-ness-23932452

If he's identified his issues and has overcame them, then you've got a quality midfield option. 

Edited by Ludo*1

Lost 1-0.

MOTHERWELL TEAM (NEW YOUTH INTAKE MARKED AS Y)

First half: Trialist, Johnston, Trialist, McGinley, Wilson (Y), Cornelius, Trialist, Maguire, Woolery, Watt, C O’Donnell (Y).

Second half: Fox, Trialist, Devine (Trialist), Dunnachie (Y), Carroll, Trialist, Crawford, O’Hara (McLeod (Y)), Lawless, Trialist, Shields.

Subs not used: Morrison, Tambwe (Y).

Just the 7 trialists then. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Outrage. We're going to lose every game for evermore and we're not going to have enough players and we're doomed. 

Imagine being one of the 2 guys that didn't get to play.

This. 

I am probably wrong but I do seem to remember us cruising through pre season and league cup games and thinking we were going to win the league only to have an indifferent league start.  More than once a decent pre season has not delivered in the league.

I will keep telling myself this until I calm down to a panic 😱 

In all seriousness the next several additions will be key to how we get on. 

As starters I have Watt, SODs, McGinley / Carroll, Lawless / O Hara, Shields / Wollery. After that I am struggling. Maybe throw in Fox but I would be hoping he would stay as back up. Possibly one of Mugabi / Lamie but NOT both. So we still ideally need 5+ 1st team starters coming in. Almost half a team.

What is the script with Donnelly. I notice he did not feature. I thought he was back training before the season ended. Still not fit to play 45 minutes 🤷‍♂️

“The trialist striker attempted a dinked finish over the onrushing goalkeeper” from the website. I smell a whiff of budget Bergkamp.

I thought exactly the same thing as soon as I read it! Haha.
Being boring though, I guess he’d be unable to play as a trialist seeing as he’s technically still under contract at Scunthorpe?

Just now, dezz said:

I thought exactly the same thing as soon as I read it! Haha.
Being boring though, I guess he’d be unable to play as a trialist seeing as he’s technically still under contract at Scunthorpe?

No, you can get dispensation. We have a CH on trial from Luton Town on our bench today to see whether we want him on loan or not.

If the names in that Record article are correct they possibly account for 4 of the trialists: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-target-four-summer-signings-24383277

King (GK)
O'Connor (CB)
Muscatt (MF)
Harrison (ST)

plus Ness who we already knew about c/o Busta.

@Onthefringes had mentioned an ex-Liverpool youth we've had about the place. If it's the person I'm thinking about (going purely by him following a ton on our squad of recent past, present (and possibly future) on IG) he was also at Arsenal, Millwall, West Ham and MK Dons (for varying lengths of time) and is a centre back.

Which leaves the trialist from the 2nd half side who going by the teamlines was playing RB.

Edited by capt_oats