Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Lads, cards on the table - I hadn't even watched the full 10 mins when I posted that video. I was pretty much sold on the "Budget Bergkamp" line and the first of the ten minutes of goals being a completely unnecessary scoop over the keeper.

Having watched the full thing (more than once) and even allowing for the fact that the "exclusive" is coming from the Scunthorpe equivalent of Fir Park Corner or whatever I am absolutely all in on big Kev.

He's got cult classic, not best seller written all over him.

Make it fucking happen Burrows.

38 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I want to get on board with this so badly but surely that's just a Scunthorpe fan account looking at where Alexander is now and making a rumour up off the back of it?

Trust The Thread - we can make it happen.

This would make me go buy my season ticket tomorrow if he signed. Would be worth watching him just for winding the opposition fans up when he scores. Singing "There's only one Budget Bergkamp" will be a laugh

Edited by Well Well

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Have we #announcedkevin yet?

I see he is still under contract (wiki) until the end of June so they may delay his announcement until 1st July if indeed we have had any contact with him 🤔

52 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I see he is still under contract (wiki) until the end of June so they may delay his announcement until 1st July if indeed we have had any contact with him 🤔

We could all chip in a fiver for a £500 transfer fee to announce it a week early!

56 minutes ago, Well Well said:

To be fair, quite a lot of summer signings are announced as "will join officially when his contract expires at X date" so we could see him before then.

Normally highlights reels for rumoured signings include a lot of them beating a man and then skying a shot over the bar so that is a lot more impressive than we usually see, to the point where you wonder what the catch is. As Gallus Numpty has said, maybe it's his age and his recent injuries.

Judging by our apparent targets just now GA's market appears to be firmly in the League 2 to National League bracket..

I know we've found some gems in that market but I'm hoping our rebuild doesn't consist of filling our team with 10 guys who played well against Salford City. It feels like we used to atleast get guys kicking about in League 1. 

Don't get me wrong Ryan Bowman was okay for us but he looks like Ronaldo in League 2 down there.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

Judging by our apparent targets just now GA's market appears to be firmly in the League 2 to National League bracket..

I know we've found some gems in that market but I'm hoping our rebuild doesn't consist of filling our team with 10 guys who played well against Salford City. It feels like we used to atleast get guys kicking about in League 1. 

Don't get me wrong Ryan Bowman was okay for us but he looks like Ronaldo in League 2 down there.

I kind of get that and one of my worries with Alexander was/is that he replicates what Heckingbottom did at Hibs and brings in a bunch of players that don't really work up here or he underestimates the league. Especially with a new HOR who also has no real tangible experience of Scottish football.

Having said that, I think one of the things about this window has been that there haven't actually been many rumours of "targets". Do we count the mentions of offering a contract to Lafferty or us being "open" to Moult coming back?

So far we've announced 3 players: Connor Shields, on paper seems like exactly the type of player Motherwell fans have been saying we should be looking at for actual years. Justin Amaluzor granted seems like an absolute punt but we've had him in the building since last season, Kaiyne Woolery? Fair enough he came from a League 2 side (albeit one that finished in the promotion play-off places) but on the face of it he seems a fairly solid signing IMVHO - I mean, we signed Lionel Ainsworth off the back of playing in League 2 for Rotherham and Aldershot.

Other than that? We've obviously got a pile of players in to have a look at but that's not really out the ordinary. Previously we've had Jon Obika in and didn't take him on, even Martin fucking Woods was in training with us for a bit one summer so the only real difference about the players we have in at the moment is that people know (some of) their names.

As far as big Kevin Van Veen goes as that's the rumour of the moment that's causing all the excitement, it's probably worth pointing out that when Alexander (and Daws) were working with him Scunthorpe were a League One club (in fact they finished 3rd and 5th).

I'm not sure who else we've really been linked with? Beneghan? He's a known quantity and currently playing at League 1 level. Luke McCormick? Chelsea u23s and was playing League 1 last season with Bristol Rovers.

To me, I'm not really sure you can say one way or another what market we're in just now given Alexander was talking about potentially looking at bringing in 10 new players and we've only seen 3 in the door. Though as I say, I have a certain wariness.

Edited by capt_oats

There was a tweet yesterday who named 4 players Motherwell were apparently looking at, but I'm fucked if I can be arsed tyring to find it again.

Searching twitter for "Shayon Harrison" should show it though.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There was a tweet yesterday who named 4 players Motherwell were apparently looking at, but I'm fucked if I can be arsed tyring to find it again.

Searching twitter for "Shayon Harrison" should show it though.

Aye, they're named earlier in this thread and then by sheer coincidence appeared in the Lanarkshire Live section of the Record. :lol:

They're the ones I'm talking about when I'm saying that they're folk we've got in to have a look at. That news story had them as "targets" (if you see the distinction).

Edited by capt_oats