Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Nothing in the second passage quoted is near correct, you’ll find the story suggests not everything in the garden is/was rosy though.

Thanks onthefringes Don't think I could bear losing Watt just now, his work rate is immense

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Nope. Not having it. I simply refuse to believe that anyone is fitter than Wee Al. It's lies, propaganda and nothing else.

It’s big long legs v wee stocky legs, it doesn’t measure the steel in your heart.

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

As I've done every window since he's left, I'm wondering whether there's any chance of McKinstry pitching up on loan for a bit. Contracted until 2023 at Leeds, and a lot of promising noises.

Based on nothing, he's just Motherwell as f**k.

I saw him at FP on the 14th of this month (He was in club 100 really)

11 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

They both have California ties so the rumor was he wanted to get to the San Francisco team. Won't happen. However, being the Jeopardy! presenter when he retires is actually a possibility.

Rodgers was desperate to go to the 49ers IMO. He was gutted when they never drafted him.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Looks a bit too good for us, is he weird or something?

Alexander previously worked with him at Scunthorpe and it seems like he missed most of last season with injury (but still managed 21 appearances):

The Dutchman was offered a new deal with the club at the start of the year, only for that offer to be pulled, and leaving Van Veen on the lookout for a new club this summer.

“The contract offer was offered to me in December/January,” Van Veen told the BBC.

“That was just after my knee operation when I was doing my rehab and focusing on that every day.

“The gaffer and the chairman said ‘just focus on your rehab, get yourself fit as quick as you can, and then we will sit around the table about the deal.’

“Obviously, when time goes by and I got fit again, it was Oldham away when I set one up and scored one, straightaway I tore my whole hamstring off.

“We never really had the moment to sit at the table and discuss my contract, and when I tore my hamstring I was back in rehab again, the chairman pulled the contracts.

“I was thinking we were talking about the contract when I was fit, and obviously I had knock after knock, so I was basically just focusing on my rehab.

“I thought by the end of the season we could sit round a table and see if it would be extended or not, but then we got pulled in, a few of the lads, and the chairman made the decision that the contracts were pulled.

“I respected it and accepted it, and tried to finish the season for the club, and that was it.”

It proved to be a frustrating final season with the Iron for Van Veen, who managed just 21 appearances in a season ravaged by injuries."

Reflecting on his final campaign with the club, Van Veen said: “It was a very tough season due to my injuries. Mentally it was quite a knock because I don’t want to be injured, and there were two heavy injuries that cost me six or seven months, even though I came back earlier every single time.

Link

According to the Scunny forum he was on t'radio saying he was expecting to have to take a drop in wage:

1995863843_ScreenShot2021-06-24at07_38_34.thumb.png.689e288cb954a5a33c75bbfde1ab3a30.png

I Naively watch highlight reels of all our new signings, that is genuinely one of the most impressive i've seen. 

A big weird Dutch guy who scores ridiculous goals and cups his ears to opposition fans.

A cult hero in the making.

will my day be ruined if we don't sign him now? probably.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Hmmmmmm.....

Absolutely gone at the sub-heading of his YouTube compilation btw...

Sign him up....

I actually watched all  10 mins of that - wacky frame rates and all - looks like excellent fun and surely worthy of a "Motherwell: Van Veen is Keen" headline if nothing else. 

He looks class. Some quality finishes in there and a good bit of winding up opposition fans. Sign him up.

Wonder why he was kicking around Scunthorpe for 3-4 years with a highlights reel like that?

38 minutes ago, dezz said:

Wonder why he was kicking around Scunthorpe for 3-4 years with a highlights reel like that?

giphy.gif

Let's just move on from that and get back to the BIG UNECCESARRY SCOOPS

1 hour ago, dezz said:

He looks class. Some quality finishes in there and a good bit of winding up opposition fans. Sign him up.

A Chinese team actually offered a couple million for him which was accepted on deadline day I’m sure but he knocked it back...

Just read it was a 4 million reported but was no official bid.

Edited by supermarv