Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Maybe when I was a bit younger and more of a football manager addict it would have been different, but I have rarely heard of any English lower league players when they are linked with us, unless they have played in Scotland before. I'm sure most of us are the same.

I hadn't even heard of half the England team that Scotland were playing against the other night. So as far as I'm concerned, everyone we're signing is a household name who's guaranteed to bang in 20 goals a season.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What defines "who the f**k is that?" territory.

Maybe when I was a bit younger and more of a football manager addict it would have been different, but I have rarely heard of any English lower league players when they are linked with us, unless they have played in Scotland before. I'm sure most of us are the same.

I hardly know about any players outside our own league, I'm happy to admit that almost everyone we've signed in the last 10 years were a "who the f**k is that" for me. 

I prefer to wait until a player is slated on Steelmen after his debut 45 mins in a pre-season game before I form an opinion.

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Woolery is one of the ones I mentioned on trial along with ex Spurs youngster Shayon Harrison. Malta international is Joe Muscatt.

Aye, and most knew they are all residing at The Moorings going by various chat groups last night. 

What defines "who the f**k is that?" territory.
He looks a right handy big guy going by his official photo. Hopefully unearthed a gem. Trying to stay positive. [emoji4]

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Transfermarkt has him down as a left winger fwiw.

Feel like I spend too much time of this thread posting things nobody asked for, nor cares about, but he seems to have played the majority of last season on the right wing.

woolery.png.8a5cb00b186fb65b8e304ba7b85eda30.png

Wolley.thumb.png.c284fa1c7812668fcb42d9d00af98879.png

Over the last 3 seasons hes played enough to be in both winger and striker databases.

Both make him look like another individual attacker who cant pass the ball. Think his "defensive" stats are so high as a striker due to him playing as a winger, while his goal threat is so high as a winger due to playing as a striker. Seems to go for a lot of headers, so maybe a Jordan Roberts-esque role for him?

Your club know far more about these things than me, and have a far more advanced model, but all 3 of your signings so far are relatively quick attackers who love to run at defences, but are poor in terms of linking play. I've a hefty feeling you're in for a season of defence/midfield staying pretty compact while the attacking players are just left to do their own thing and see what comes off. Either that or Watt is going to be doing a lot of heaving lifting linking attack and midfield.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I have a soft spot for Tranmere, even before Ged Brannan and Tony Thomas, so I’ve heard of him and if he’d signed for someone other than us i would have been gutted at Tranmere losing him.

He’s played against Alexander’s teams in the past so he’ll know a fair bit about him. 3 year deal is a surprise though

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feel like I spend too much time of this thread posting things nobody asked for, nor cares about, but he seems to have played the majority of last season on the right wing.

woolery.png.8a5cb00b186fb65b8e304ba7b85eda30.png

Wolley.thumb.png.c284fa1c7812668fcb42d9d00af98879.png

Over the last 3 seasons hes played enough to be in both winger and striker databases.

Both make him look like another individual attacker who cant pass the ball. Think his "defensive" stats are so high as a striker due to him playing as a winger, while his goal threat is so high as a winger due to playing as a striker. Seems to go for a lot of headers, so maybe a Jordan Roberts-esque role for him?

Your club know far more about these things than me, and have a far more advanced model, but all 3 of your signings so far are relatively quick attackers who love to run at defences, but are poor in terms of linking play. I've a hefty feeling you're in for a season of defence/midfield staying pretty compact while the attacking players are just left to do their own thing and see what comes off. Either that or Watt is going to be doing a lot of heaving lifting linking attack and midfield.

My worry is the midfield at this point, a real lack of creativity as we saw last season. All the strikers in the world won’t help if the service is poor.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I hardly know about any players outside our own league, I'm happy to admit that almost everyone we've signed in the last 10 years were a "who the f**k is that" for me. 

I prefer to wait until a player is slated on Steelmen after his debut 45 mins in a pre-season game before I form an opinion.

tenor.gif.e39360eed24e3ef2beddd4b99bc4603c.gif

3 minutes ago, Yorky said:

My worry is the midfield at this point, a real lack of creativity as we saw last season. All the strikers in the world won’t help if the service is poor.

Wonder if that's why you're stocking up on quick forwards who love a dribble? 

Idea is they make chances for themselves?

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would be genuinely amazed if we didn't try to sign a Polworth replacement of some sort. We're only 3 signings in so far and it's still June.

Pretty much where I am.

Alexander was talking about expecting between 7-10 in (and that was at a point where we were still talking to folk like Cole). We've brought in 3 so far.

Like you, I'd be surprised if a Polworth-like isn't one of the remaining 7.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wonder if that's why you're stocking up on quick forwards who love a dribble? 

Idea is they make chances for themselves?

You think last summer we had a midfield of Turnbull/Campbell/Donnelly/Polworth. Losing Donnelly early in the season then Turnbull absolutely killed any creativity.This summer as it stands only Donnelly remains along with OHare/McGuire/Crawford. There is not a huge amount of ability there.

Edited by Yorky

I spent the afternoon convinced I'd heard the name Kaiyne Woolery before, then I realised it was actually The Fault In Our Stars actress Shailene Woodley I was thinking of. Boom Clap! indeed.

giphy.gif

Anyway, it turns out the bold Kaiyne played with Doidge at FGR and here are his two goals at Wembley from the Play-Off Promotionfinal of 2017 against Tranmere.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats