Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't know if anyone can help me but I've been having a clear-out and found some old paperwork for The Motherwell Supporters' Trust (or Motherwell FC Supporters' Society Limited) from 2004 when I set up a monthly direct debit. Is this still on the go or was it wound up and replaced by the Well Society? I think my payments rumbled on for quite a while with nothing ever being announced but I haven't paid in or heard about it for years.

I assume this is also where WellTrust FC came from that started the forum which preceded Steelmen.

Not a clue about the first part, but spot on about the last bit.

Was initially started as an organisational/discussion forum for the trust team, which quickly became a wider Motherwell FC board. Partially why there was the name change in 2007 as it had long moved on from a trust team thing.

I see that Reece McAlear has joined ICT on loan from Norwich for the season.

I think he might have played about 10 mins in that Linfield friendly a few years ago but we didn’t see much else of him before he left - unless I’m forgetting other appearances. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was just coming on to ask that.  I'm guessing he never broke into the first team?

Less he never broke into the first team, more that he was sold before he really had a chance to break into the first team (if you see the distinction). He hadn't really made many u20s/Reserves appearances either.

Basically he'd been in the pre-season match squads for the 19/20 season but he only had a year left on his deal. I think we'd have been keen to keep him on but the Norwich interest (amongst others) came along and IIRC the discussion with the club basically ended up with him indicating that it was unlikely he'd sign a new deal so we sold him rather than waiting to do the whole development fee thing once his contract expired.

The deal was reported as £250k + add ons. 

It was around the same time McKinstry moved to Leeds (in slightly different circumstances in so much I think he'd have been happy to stay but was sold on Leeds being an opportunity for him). The two of them moving feels like it's left a bit of a gap in terms of progression from the Academy to First Team.

From what I remember of the limited times I saw him he was a box to box midfielder, seemed a good size and was good on the ball. The fact he's still only 19 but has been playing u23s football at Norwich (and made a first team appearance) suggests he definitely has the tools.

Edited by capt_oats

I posted this over on SO as well, thought i'd chuck it in here since we have little else to talk about on the transfer front, other than outgoings;

The Luke Mccormick link is genuinely very, very exciting btw, if this is the change in approach hinted at, I am all for it, As fans we have cried out for quality over quantity.

I didn't necessarily agree with Robbo's approach but I can see why he took that route. Paying tens of millions doesn't guarantee success, and the further down the ladder you go, those percentages decrease, So taking a few cheap gambles in the hope that one worked maybe wasn't the worst idea in the world, on paper, the reality of it was we were stuck with some absolute dross. Fortunately we had the youngsters breaking through which papered over those errors.

although not the most entertaining window, YET, the approach is definitely much more refreshing.

FWIW, Reegan Hendry at Raith would also be a nice addition, whether or not we are interested or not is anyone's guess, remember seeing him linked with Aberdeen as well which might price us out of a move.

Edited by Neil86

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

We’ll be linked with all those lined up by our new Head of Recruitment in his previous role.

ahh, makes sense. Wimbledon were linked with the Chelsea boy a few weeks ago as well. Now us. 

Moult signs for Burton. Good for him.

Alan Burrows twitter should be good reading later. The reply guys will be out in force over this indiscretion I imagine.

But yeah, good for Moult. More money than we’d offer I’d imagine, doesn’t have to uproot his family, and playing at a broadly similar level to where he excelled with us.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Alan Burrows twitter should be good reading later. The reply guys will be out in force over this indiscretion I imagine.

But yeah, good for Moult. More money than we’d offer I’d imagine, doesn’t have to uproot his family, and playing at a broadly similar level to where he excelled with us.

It's one of those where it feels like the right thing to do is for everyone to make nice about it and say the right things.

The club were presumably an option for him because...why not?

He doesn't rule it out because he's a fan favourite, we don't rule it out because he's a fan favourite but really everyone knows that his preference is going to be the option that allows the Moults to stay in their "Cheshire Home" but the Burrows reply guys will still get bent out of shape because they have zero perspective on anything.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Genuinely though, good luck to him. Hopefully he's clear of his injuries.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

And so it begins...

Sadly the usual nonsense you see at every club. Supporters will react with joy at any early signings only to state they are useless and we jumped in too soon without doing due diligence. We got the signing in early the last two summers and that failed to work out well. Alexander prefers to take his time and wait for the right players, quality over quantity. Two different approaches and we will see if the latter works for us at a later date. It’s never about when they sign, just who we sign that matters in the end.

2 hours ago, Yorky said:

Sadly the usual nonsense you see at every club. Supporters will react with joy at any early signings only to state they are useless and we jumped in too soon without doing due diligence. We got the signing in early the last two summers and that failed to work out well. Alexander prefers to take his time and wait for the right players, quality over quantity. Two different approaches and we will see if the latter works for us at a later date. It’s never about when they sign, just who we sign that matters in the end.

Wait till you see the groupie reaction to one body we have in training next week...