Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, normally I wouldn't waste my time picking out those posts and sticking them in here (lies, I absolutely would waste my time doing exactly that) but the mental gymnastics are sensational and 100% deserve a bigger audience IMO.

Looking at their forum last year it was obvious half the posters on there were complete loons. The amount of in the know “facts” posted by individuals that had suddenly become legal experts that was just made up twaddle was amazing, they then ended up just fighting with each other. Any half decent Hearts supporter should go nowhere near the place.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is it not the cas that staying in Scotland is a serious option for anyone until they are offered triple the wage down south?

Not when the lad had ambitions to move to England as his next stage of development - not a paper quote, that’s direct from him.

I’d discount anything claimed by the Hearts fan on that post.

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Not when the lad had ambitions to move to England as his next stage of development - not a paper quote, that’s direct from him.

I’d discount anything claimed by the Hearts fan on that post.

The English Championship is the graveyard for all Scottish talent 46 games 3 games a week, turns players into cogs in a machine.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The English Championship is the graveyard for all Scottish talent 46 games 3 games a week, turns players into cogs in a machine.

Whilst I do think the amount of games they play is ridiculous, You only need to see what it did to the likes of Kenny Mclean who looked pretty useless at international level when playing for Aberdeen.  One season at a higher level and he looked much better. It’s  a step up from the Scottish Premiership and way better paid.
Hearts would have been a terrible option given how badly run they seem to be I doubt a season or 2 with them would have got him a better move. A decent season or two at Luton may get him to a EPL chasing club.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Is it not the cas that staying in Scotland is a serious option for anyone until they are offered triple the wage down south?

Aye, if he hadn't already had a stated desire to move to England, didn't see the English Championship as a better development pathway, didn't have a number of EFL Championship options and hadn't been offered triple the best wage a Scottish team was apparently offering then staying in Scotland could have been an option and he might, possibly have considered signing for Hearts (and their weird not at all shady, off the books payment scheme).

So when you think about it like that it's really a win for them.

In other news the "only reason" I'm not going out with Bella Hadid is because she's more attractive and successful than I am....

Edited by capt_oats

If I were a player of mid-to-decent level Scottish Premiership standard and some middle standing English Championship level club came asking, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Without even looking at the financial aspect, if you're going to be playing against teams of the size of - (albeit perhaps past history / glories) - the likes of Nottingham Forest, Blackburn, Birmingham City, QPR, Stoke City etc., week in, week out...or staying here and playing against Livingston, Ross County, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee...for me it just wouldn't compare.

Perhaps that could be me accused of dumbing down our league, but personally I'd sure as shite want to try and prove myself at what I'd consider to be an undoubtedly larger, more competitive, more lucrative and more publicised league than moving sideways and remaining in the status quo of the SPL.

All the very best to wee Al.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that a Motherwell player would move to the next wage tier in our league - of course not. But in Campbell's specific case, it's been obvious to everyone for about 18 months that he's off to the English Championship, rather than a club just out the Scottish Championship.

Even if this guy's fantasy came true and he did go to Hearts - if Campbell played well and caught the eye, the best he would realistically do is get a move to an English Championship club like, er Luton. 

47 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Whilst I do think the amount of games they play is ridiculous, You only need to see what it did to the likes of Kenny Mclean who looked pretty useless at international level when playing for Aberdeen.  One season at a higher level and he looked much better. It’s  a step up from the Scottish Premiership and way better paid.
Hearts would have been a terrible option given how badly run they seem to be I doubt a season or 2 with them would have got him a better move. A decent season or two at Luton may get him to a EPL chasing club.

I wish Campbell all the best,we can debate all day long where the best place is for Scottish talent.
Whether it's Jack Hendry in Belgium or Liam Henderson in Italy or Ryan Gould  in Portugal.
The English Championship will only do one thing improve his bank balance.

46 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

If I were a player of mid-to-decent level Scottish Premiership standard and some middle standing English Championship level club came asking, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Without even looking at the financial aspect, if you're going to be playing against teams of the size of - (albeit perhaps past history / glories) - the likes of Nottingham Forest, Blackburn, Birmingham City, QPR, Stoke City etc., week in, week out...or staying here and playing against Livingston, Ross County, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee...for me it just wouldn't compare.

Perhaps that could be me accused of dumbing down our league, but personally I'd sure as shite want to try and prove myself at what I'd consider to be an undoubtedly larger, more competitive, more lucrative and more publicised league than moving sideways and remaining in the status quo of the SPL.

All the very best to wee Al.

I agree with this 100%.

I've got nothing but praise for Campbell's efforts in a 'Well shirt, but I've long been of the opinion that at the back of my mind that being a good Scottish Premiership midfielder is his ceiling.

However, the debate about whether he can play in the Championship is a different one to the debate about whether he should play in the Championship. First and foremost, it's a short career and if someone is willing to pay you a massively improved wage, then you'd be a fool not to take it. You can look at Carson not getting a move and Hastie getting a move as examples as to why. Also, as you say, he'll be up against a variety of teams, at a variety of grounds and even if he does end up back in Scotland in 18 months, I'm sure he'll be arriving back in Scotland a better player. 

If anyone has the attitude to make it down there then it's him and I wish him all the best.

Talking of the bank balances, does this site have any credibility whatsoever?
https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-premiership/motherwell/

I mean, that has Carson and O'Donnell on 600 quid a week.    Shurely shome mishtake

It had AC on 1,500 which seems reasonable.  For comparison most of the players at Luton, if the site can be believed, are on 3,500 - 4,500 per week.

I'm buckled at the idea of Anne Budge and Neilson spending weeks sitting about, coming up with convoluted transfer schemes involving Jordan Roberts, Craig Halkett and Allan Campbell, bringing in a shady outside investor to pay the compensation fee, trying to claw together an extra few quid a week to tempt Campbell only for Luton to swan in and treble their offer.

I don't know if anyone can help me but I've been having a clear-out and found some old paperwork for The Motherwell Supporters' Trust (or Motherwell FC Supporters' Society Limited) from 2004 when I set up a monthly direct debit. Is this still on the go or was it wound up and replaced by the Well Society? I think my payments rumbled on for quite a while with nothing ever being announced but I haven't paid in or heard about it for years.

I assume this is also where WellTrust FC came from that started the forum which preceded Steelmen.