Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's been pretty consistent, some of the panelists changed, but they bring out a new one every couple of weeks. 

I thought I’d read that Andy was doing some official podcasts for the club maybe a few years back and it’s not been on my “latest episodes” since. I just thought that was it done.

Oh, that's right, forgot about those, they didn't last too long. You can find it on the usual apps now. It's pretty good, but they don't spend enough time talking about which players to bin or sacking the manager to be considered an authentic motherwell fan experience. 

Nice to hear the good things said about Andy, sounded like an amazing guy. Very interesting to also hear about the difference in recruitment policy between Robinson and Alexander, I always used to think getting the signings in early was a positive but after the last couple of summers it will be interesting to see how the extra scrutiny and time taken will pan out. I certainly sounds like we will be looking down in England again and with Alexander’s experience down there it obviously makes sense. Burrows is excited and that gives a level of optimism that we are looking a little more at quality over quantity.

Enjoyed that a lot.

I'd been hoping we'd get some sort of a season debrief from Flow so it was nice to get one and he covered pretty much everything that piqued my interest on the podcast.

I thought he was suitably diplomatic in terms of the difference in approach to recruitment between Robinson and Alexander and it was also interesting to hear his comments on Foyle leaving and Daws taking the HOR role.

Similarly his comment about Alexander pretty much patching any notion of philosophy after the Accies and St Johnstone games and just focussing on getting results confirmed what I think a lot of us suspected to be the case.

Edit: In other recruitment news...this is interesting: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/chelsea-midfielder-luke-mccormick-becomes-motherwell-transfer-target/

Sign him up...

Spoiler

The next Lampard lads...

Edited by capt_oats

43 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Has the same name as that Plymouth goalie that got done for manslaughter.

Doing a bit of digging beyond his namesake and it appears Millwall were taking a look at him back in March and the story seems to go that Chelsea were happy enough to release him from his deal this summer in exchange for a bumped up sell-on clause. It was a Nixon story in The Sun.

I don't know how much stock you can put in Bristol Live's sports journalists but make of this what you will:

Statistics of six goals and two assists for a player in his first full season of senior football are impressive in their own right, but it has been the mentality, the crunching challenges and the relentless engine that has made him the outlier of a team which collapsed in a heap long before the finish line was in sight.

Championship side Millwall are the first club reportedly interested in taking McCormick on, and they certainly will not be the only ones chasing a player who has grown immensely in his nine months as a Rovers player.

He can pass, he can tackle and he can score, but it is the intangible qualities that have set him apart. With Rovers waiting for the final whistle to put them out of their misery and essentially confirm relegation with defeat to MK Dons, McCormick kept going until the last, winning an inconsequential penalty through sheer bloody-mindedness in the sixth minute of added time.

That mentality, that personal pride, sets him apart and he fully deserves the chance to prove himself in the Championship. Don't be surprised if he's wearing a captain's armband in years to come.

Link

Hmmmm....

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Doing a bit of digging beyond his namesake and it appears Millwall were taking a look at him back in March and the story seems to go that Chelsea were happy enough to release him from his deal this summer in exchange for a bumped up sell-on clause. It was a Nixon story in The Sun.

I don't know how much stock you can put in Bristol Live's sports journalists but make of this what you will:

Hmmmm....

This will have been roughly when they were eyeing Campbell as well then?

Easter Rd is a place we seem to play well more often than not - and if we were allowed into the ground, that would be a great trip to bookend our last away trip to Edinburgh in March 2020. In December.

But as the first game is at home - Can't Fucking Wait.

Edited by Swello
Have now seen fixture list.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This will have been roughly when they were eyeing Campbell as well then?

Aye, roughly.

This is what Rowett was saying in February after the window closed in "London News Online":

Rowett said: “We had some really good targets, a couple of young players in Scotland who have done really well at their clubs and we saw real potential for the future – not necessarily right now.

“The offers that we made were rejected by their clubs and the clubs have every right to do that. They are contractually tied to the club – whether they are players we will pursue in the summer remains to be seen.

“We had some very good targets and we cast our net pretty wide – there were also players abroad as well as the UK. There was a lot we tried to pursue and that’s what I was really saying about us being really proactive."

Link

It's pretty much accepted that one of those offers they had rejected was Campbell.

The McCormick to Millwall story popped up 7th March (I'll not link to The Sun). That write up in Bristol Live is very Campbell-y.

I mean, I'm not sure how reliable NTOF are for breaking transfer stories (not very would be my guess so a pinch of salt and all that) but it's an interesting name and it must have come from somewhere as a Chelsea u23s player to Motherwell isn't an obvious transfer punt for the clicks.

It's a slight twist on our previous approach in terms of players from EPL academies when you consider that Grimshaw, Kipré and Seedorf had barely played any first team games before pitching up here. Yer man has had a full season in League 1 and by all accounts was a stand-out (albeit in a team that got relegated).

Edited by capt_oats

Wee Al signs for Luton

We have reached a financial arrangement with Luton based on our training compensation entitlement. We have also negotiated the addition of future economic rights.

“We wish Allan all the very best after earning a good move to an excellent club in the English Championship,” chief executive Alan Burrows said.

“Luton Town have been a pleasure to deal with. Throughout this process, they have been extremely professional.

“We have reached a compromise that is both fair in the short-term but also allows Motherwell the potential to share in future success, should Allan’s career continue in the same upward trajectory.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm reading that as we've agreed a reduced development fee for a sell-on clause.

I think we've tried that in other deals - I think it's a good approach in the right circumstances. I guess the question is if Wee Al can make another step up after this one....