Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Horrible news.

Andy is best mates with a member of my family who always brought him up when we were talking football.

I’m sure many won’t find that surprising if they ever came across Andy - either in life or as Andy P on Steelmen Online - he always came across as a really polite, respectful and insightful guy.

RIP.

Yeah that's very sad news, both him and madwullie in the last few days.
That's terrible news about Andy P - I didn't know him personally but he always came across really well. What sort of age was he?

For those that didn't know about it, there's a thread about MadWullie's sad passing in the General Nonsense forum with a link to a Just Giving page for a charity which provides special days out for people with life threatening illness.

That's terrible news about Andy P - I didn't know him personally but he always came across really well. What sort of age was he?

I think he would only have been late forties/early fifties.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I think he would only have been late forties/early fifties.

I’d take a punt at mid 40s. Was as a regular on the Muirhouse bus in the 90s that I first got to know Andy. Was all relative on that bus but he sat at the more sensible end.  An absolute gent. His stuff in the fanzines was always worth a read. 

4 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

I’d take a punt at mid 40s. Was as a regular on the Muirhouse bus in the 90s that I first got to know Andy. Was all relative on that bus but he sat at the more sensible end.  An absolute gent. His stuff in the fanzines was always worth a read. 

Exactly where I first met him. Didn’t seem that much older than me at the time but always a voice of reason when us young ones maybe pushed it a bit far! 

Really sad to hear of his passing and will miss his sensible and reasoned thoughts and posts online.

RIP Andy

Guest superward

Noticed on Dumbarton's site (found my way there via a link to Kenny MacLean signing for them)  that we are playing them in a friendly on Saturday 26th June at 12pm. New season is nearly here already. 

14 minutes ago, superward said:

Noticed on Dumbarton's site (found my way there via a link to Kenny MacLean signing for them)  that we are playing them in a friendly on Saturday 26th June at 12pm. New season is nearly here already. 

Yeah, I noticed Tony Watt had an Instagram story that said “one week to go ⚽️ “ or something to that effect.

We might get to see what Max Johnston is all about with SOD being at the euros.

29 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

From the BBC Gossip page...

Bah humbug

Now that would be a genuine pisser if he ended up at a rival as I think he was sincere in wanting to stay on - but it's times like this that the boring fact that we won't/can't over extend ourselves needs to be remembered and if Utd are willing (able?) to go further than us, there's nothing we can about it. Of course, if English clubs took notice of how well he did for us - then I doubt Utd will be able to compete either.

In other news, surprisingly managed to get tickets on Friday for the Scotland game - so SOD needs to start today so that I've seen a 'Well player at a major tournament (I've stopped counting Gallacher).

As much as I like and rate Kelly I find it hard to get that arsed about keeping/losing goalkeepers. Even though the existence of people like Aaron Chapman disprove this theory I still feel it's a lot easier to find a good goalkeeper at our level than other positions, relatively speaking.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

As much as I like and rate Kelly I find it hard to get that arsed about keeping/losing goalkeepers. Even though the existence of people like Aaron Chapman disprove this theory I still feel it's a lot easier to find a good goalkeeper at our level than other positions, relatively speaking.

I was thinking about that earlier. I mean, we've obviously had the bad old days of Samson, Hollis, Twardzik and Nielsen in fairly recent memory but, I could be wrong, it feels like a lot of that is down to how arsed the manager is. Obviously he lucked out initially as he inherited Randolph but was the story not that McCall delegated everything goalkeeper related to Marshall or something?

Chapman was what he was, an emergency signing outside the transfer window in an extremely fucking weird season. If you look at our recent run of #1 goalkeepers then Carson > Gillespie > Kelly is pretty good. Even Baraclough signing Ripley was perfectly fine once he found his feet and McGhee benefitted from that in finishing top 6, it got fucked when we decided to just hand the gloves to the ginger prince because he'd been hanging around.

IIRC Alexander signed Hladky for Salford so if nothing else I'd take that as a sign that he's at least switched on to the importance of a decent goalkeeper.

Edited by capt_oats

On recruitment, I recommend this weeks MFC podcast btw. 

Alan Burrows was on and discuss the state of things at the club currently. Such as why we’ve not been as busy as usual(yet) as well as the new recruitment process etc. Also heavy hints that Campbell is close to signing for an English Championship side. 

They also spend the first 20 mins or so talking about Andy P. Even as someone that didn’t know him outside of Steelmen Online, it was touching and lovely tribute.