Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm not sure that he will go there and start 40 games as a number #9 next season, but you really can not blame a guy of his age taking a three-year deal on high end Championship wages. 

There are shades of Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin with this one. Had we extended his deal in January, it would maybe have been a bit weird, but by the end of the season we are gutted to lose him.

On the plus side, considering the #numberpolis, hopefully this means we can get back to our first choice striker wearing number 9 and none of this 44 pish. 

I thought we might have convinced Devante to stay another season but that was on the assumption his other options would be a bunch of English League 1 dross.

Fair play to him getting a move to Barnsley. Can't really hold that against him.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

By my count this is where we are.

19 bodies in total (including Morrison, Johnston, Devine and Cornelius) and starting XI gaps for Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Roberts, Cole.

257560101_ScreenShot2021-06-08at12_45_12.thumb.png.a2177f0705375017b48f83314b293650.png

giphy.gif

Love this time of season.

26 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

We’re 100% bringing the tractor back out, aren’t we?

As long as the tractor isn't a 3 wheeled rust bucket driven by a drunk Eddie Nolan like January's was, we'll be fine. I'm sure we'll be just fine......

In Anstruther for a wee break. Wearing my away top from the Paddy Power sponsor free season. One of my favs....

Twice within 5 minutes a cyclist shouted “Mon the Well” and a car driver wound down his window and shouted Well well super well. I guess we just have to accept we are a Global brand 🤷‍♂️.

Now get signing some players 🙏

I'd say Devante was one of my favourite players in the last year or so. It's easy to see he has the attributes to play at a decent level and good luck to him at Barnsley, a really good deal for him. As much as I loved him I've always been very aware that we were quite overtly a short term stepping stone for him. And that's totally fine btw.

Looking at that graphic of the squad is quite eye opening, there's maybe like 5 bodies you would say are certain to start. GA and whoever winds up as the new Martin Foyle is going to have a job on their hands. I'm really interested to see what sort of team GA forms. I like the Shields signing, I think the last few years has proven there is good potential in the Championship with the likes of Dykes and Nisbett etc.

In terms of Moult, I honestly don't think its that pie in the sky. I think Moult genuinely does have an emotional connection to the club and if it was us vs as lower end L1 club we might have a chance. I'm not really sure if the likes of HIbs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc will be in for him. It's hard to say with his injury record, I think that will put a lot of clubs off tbh. Lafferty is probably going to go to the highest bidder so I'm not so sure but I would love him to come if even just for the #bants

Ideally i'd like us to try build a bit more stability with boys who will be here for the medium term but whether this is achievable I'm not sure. I look at the likes of SOD and Watt who probably to spend the next few years here and build something. I think having a solid base in that vein mixed with potential/short term guys would build more momentum than having to do a total rebuild every 2 years but I appreciate its really difficult for a club like ours.

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Since its that time of year and we need some players I'm going to put forward Greg Stewart as being worth a punt.

Discuss.

Is he still at Rangers or have they punted him? 

Long shot from me, but would be keen on Barrie McKay. Would certainly have a point to prove up here. 

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

Is he still at Rangers or have they punted him? 

Long shot from me, but would be keen on Barrie McKay. Would certainly have a point to prove up here. 

Stewart was officially punted today.

We were linked with him on loan ages ago weren't we? I'd have thought he'd be a shoo in for Dundee tbh.

Fully judging books by covers here but he doesn't seem the most obvious fit for Alexander's "I judge players on how they train" line.

Also, I like the Barrie McKay shout.

Edited by capt_oats

Re Moult, the recent interview seemed to suggest he was settled down south, so whilst there’s a pull there to return here he may not want to uproot his family again and may prefer to stay somewhere more local, enter Morecambe and Robbo- only half an hour-ish from Preston.

Since its that time of year and we need some players I'm going to put forward Greg Stewart as being worth a punt.

Discuss.

I was thinking about random punts earlier and Stewart was the first name to pop into my head.

Obviously hasn’t had much football in the last few years, and was shite at Aberdeen, but he’d be worth a look.

I’ll chuck Stevie Mallan into the worth a punt pot. Need more 30 yarders at FP.

Noticed this on Decanter's wee thanks to the club and that on his Twitter. When he's saying he was open to staying after the first talks but "it wasn't to be" I take it we've known for a while he was planning on making his move South.

Heavy "letting us down gently" vibes with some of that wording though :lol:

146440467_ScreenShot2021-06-08at17_26_29.thumb.png.9e85d99b6085fd942fe999535970e45d.png
307484666_ScreenShot2021-06-08at17_26_47.thumb.png.b649f410416dc1d398a0c297cebbb372.png

Edited by capt_oats