Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between both of those versions of events.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not the type of guy I’d want to go for a pint with or who I’d want to marry my sister, but Lafferty is a good Scottish Prem striker, there’s no doubting that. Cole aside, I can’t see a better option of someone who’s proven at this level. 

If it came down to him or a guy from somewhere like Shrewsbury who scored 6 goals last season and can play “anywhere across the front”. 

I was probably in the “sign him” camp until those stories were going out. It seems like a step in the right direction getting rid of Polworth and Gallagher after their outbursts last season and I don’t know if this might just be a reminder that he’s very capable of being like that too. 

PS: another thing to consider is that if we signed him, it might adversely affect the #announcecharlie campaign.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Ignore Randomguy, he's talking shite. He made a complete c**t of himself a couple of days ago on our thread when he thought MOH was signing for us. Everyone laughed at him (which you'd think he'd be used to) and he's been pouting ever since.

You should get back to discussing the imminent capture of Curtis Main, m8...

Agreed that the truth will lie somewhere in between the two statements. I'll not lie, I'm not entirely fussed either way and a lot of the pearl clutching about it is quite funny.

I'm pretty on board with the whole Lafferty thing tbh. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn't be chucking money at him or bending over backwards to accommodate him but as an option who's available? Fine.

Alexander knows him, played with him, he lives locally and when it comes down to it he's a known quantity at this level coming off a purple patch of something like 13 goals in 13 games.

What interests me is that it feels like a bit of a shift in strategy for us to be offering him a deal. I suppose the best way to illustrate it is that it's a very "Motherwell January window" sort of situation. Think McFadden coming back from Sunderland, Pearson and McDonald in the Play-Off season, Nadz, Ross McCormack...Tony Watt to a lesser extent.

Going back to Alexander's comment when asked about Moult:

"I'm always interested in good players, regardless of whether they have a great history with our club or not.

"Any good player that's available is under consideration for us, so I don't think it's right that I go and talk about any individuals, whether they're attached or unattached, because there is a lot of time between identifying someone and actually bringing him in, or having the opportunity to do that."

Link

That's a world away from taking a punt on Sherwin Seedorf because he was rapid or Jordan White and Conor Sammon because they were big lumps or Christy Manzinga because he was pals with Cedric and, to me, taking a look at Lafferty feels like it's coming from that "interested in good players" sort of mindset.

Even showing interest in Lafferty at this stage is a bit different IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Lafferty scores goals at this level, we'd be daft not to inquire, I don't think he'll sign.

For how long though? Is he realistically holding up for a season at a decent rate? 

35 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If "this level" means against really bad teams.

No evidence he can do it against anyone even half decent.

Weren't all but one of his games for Killie against Bottom 6 sides? Small sample size obviously but you can only score against what's in front of you, which he did.

It's a few years ago now but I don't think he looks much worse than he did at Hearts.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

34 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If "this level" means against really bad teams.

No evidence he can do it against anyone even half decent.

Aside from the depressing top line, the rest of it satisfies me that there is plenty evidence he can score against half decent teams.

10B7589E-D5F4-4491-82B6-ED69390933CD.jpeg

15 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Weren't all but one of his games for Killie against Bottom 6 sides? Small sample size obviously but you can only score against what's in front of you, which he did.

It's a few years ago now but I don't think he looks much worse than he did at Hearts.

Yes so remains unproven against actual decent teams.

He was posted missing in the playoff games which should also be a warning sign.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aside from the depressing top line, the rest of it satisfies me that there is plenty evidence he can score against half decent teams.

Let's be honest, that top line is precisely the reason we should be signing the big weirdo.

100% an cnut of a boy but he would undoubtedly do us turn. 

I think Alexander is the type of manager who could keep him in check though , so I'd be all aboard the Big Weird Kyle train. 

Choo choo muthafucka's. 

Looks like that's Robinson taking over from Derek Adams at Morecambe.

Not the job I'd have thought he'd have been imagining to be his next step given this time last year he was applying for the Bournemouth vacancy and had the NI interview lined up but fair play Adams getting them promoted gives them a bit of profile and they don't seem to be an Oldham style basket-case.

By all accounts he was shortlisted and interviewed for the Doncaster gig but that went to Richie Wellens, in a weird way a L1 job where the expectation is to keep them up and/or consolidate probably feels like the right sort of role for Robinson's skillset.

(using that link rather than the story that ran in The Sun)