Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Jamie Semple thoughts on him please... 

I really, really wanted him to come good but for whatever reason it never really happened. He never really settled on a position, Craigan just stuck him out wide for our 20s, he's played as a #9 for Scotland and Mo Ross wanted to turn him into an #8 but he variously had folk like Turnbull and Polworth ahead of him in that area of the park.

He seemed to have dropped down the pecking order and his pathway was limited. He was around the fringes of the first team late 18/19 and 19/20 but he picked up an injury and drifted a bit. He's at the stage of his career where he 100% needs games.

We loaned him out to Cove last season but had him training with us through the week which sort of makes sense in theory but seemed weird given Cove's location and doubly weird as there's a pandemic happening. We had him at Dalziel Park then playing with Cove at the weekend. He seemed to start OK then just tailed off, which probably isn't a surprise given the circumstances.

He was one who was "highly rated" early on, I'm pretty sure McGhee was talking about him wanting to involve him with the first team when he was 14 or some such and had hype on account of interest from Liverpool, Man City, Southampton and Spurs: https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14623203.14-year-old-motherwell-striker-lined-englands-best-clubs-heads-sunderland-trial/

He's only just turned 20 so he's got time and there's a potential pler in there IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I really, really wanted him to come good but for whatever reason it never really happened. He never really settled on a position, Craigan just stuck him out wide for our 20s, he's played as a #9 for Scotland and Mo Ross wanted to turn him into an #8 but he variously had folk like Turnbull and Polworth ahead of him in that area of the park.

He seemed to have dropped down the pecking order and his pathway was limited. He was around the fringes of the first team 18/19 and 19/20 but he picked up an injury and drifted a bit. He's at the stage of his career where he 100% needs games.

We loaned him out to Cove last season but had him training with us through the week which sort of makes sense in theory but seemed weird given Cove's location and doubly weird as there's a pandemic happening. We had him at Dalziel Park then playing with Cove at the weekend. He seemed to start OK then just tailed off, which probably isn't a surprise given the circumstances.

He was one who was "highly rated" early on, I'm pretty sure McGhee was talking about him wanting to involve him with the first team when he was 14 or some such and had hype on account of interest from Liverpool, Man City, Southampton and Spurs: https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14623203.14-year-old-motherwell-striker-lined-englands-best-clubs-heads-sunderland-trial/

He's only just turned 20 so he's got time and there's a potential pler in there IMO.

Thanks for the info, Type of player ad like to see at Queens given game time and chance to improve & prove himself the same as Obileye & Shields did last season. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Type of player ad like to see at Queens given game time and chance to improve & prove himself the same as Obileye & Shields did last season. 

Here are some Semple goals from a while back.

giphy.gif&key=eebd5ec20a1e73431c64681678

giphy.gif&key=09a61af740a0d3df6130272fbc

giphy.gif&key=7e7f567d3cb91781e4760f2ac6

8 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Thanks for the info, Type of player ad like to see at Queens given game time and chance to improve & prove himself the same as Obileye & Shields did last season. 

Started the league cup game at Palmerston in July 2019 had a good game in our 3-0 victory.....but as Capt Oats says was highly rated but unfortunately never pushed on...... 

Not a particularly good look for Lafferty there. He could easily have said he doesn't want to play in the Championship. 

However, you don't know what he was getting paid by Killie last season. Maybe it was peanuts and he wanted a more realistic offer to stay, considering the level he was being asked to play at. Maybe he just asked for a stupid figure because he had no intention whatsoever of staying on. 

I think he'd do us a real turn but I'm not massively arsed if he doesn't sign for us. 

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

Not a particularly good look for Lafferty there. He could easily have said he doesn't want to play in the Championship. 

However, you don't know what he was getting paid by Killie last season. Maybe it was peanuts and he wanted a more realistic offer to stay, considering the level he was being asked to play at. Maybe he just asked for a stupid figure because he had no intention whatsoever of staying on. 

I think he'd do us a real turn but I'm not massively arsed if he doesn't sign for us. 

Nope, not for me. This type of mess in the media where the club has to respond does not bode well for the future. Lets look elsewhere

I imagine the truth is probably lies somewhere in between. 

His agents probably started high and hoped to stall Killie for a few days while he floats his name about for better offers. Killie have called his bluff and walked away. 

Which, given the speed Killie are going about there rebuild is not exactly surprising. I imagine Lafferty is a bit stung because he probably expected them to make more of an effort to keep him than they actually have. 

I’m on the fence regarding Lafferty but I do admire Killie’s approach to the whole thing. Hopefully we are taking a similar approach with Cole. 

2 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Nice kit.........possibly one of the best forward lines to grace FP that afternoon 

Borussia Dortmund: Klos; Reinhardt (Tanko, 74), Schmidt, Freund, Cesar Silva, Sammer, Reuter, Zorc, Chapuisat, Moller, Riedle (Ricken, 74).

You missed out Anders Frisk from the Dortmund line-up. 

37 minutes ago, brainier said:

Anders , the "look at me ref" ? Remember Big Drogba called him out , and he was never heard of again !

1 hour ago, brainier said:

If memory serves, it was an inoffensive Maltese or Cypriot ref in Germany (and I think in those days, the ref was generally the same across both legs) and then we had to put up with that prancing bastart in the 2nd leg. Whenever I've watched it back, I still got annoyed at some of the decisions during the Fir Park game, not just the Arnott stuff - it was dodgy as f**k. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Hopefully we are taking a similar approach with Cole. 

St Mirren fans are convinced they're signing him, so you have to make sure that doesn't happen.

We're in a similar battle with them over Kiltie.

Wee things need kept in their box.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Cole or Lafferty? I seen some of the Cole stuff on Twitter but it seemed to come entirely from wee guys and/or moonhowlers.

Cole.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren fans are convinced they're signing him, so you have to make sure that doesn't happen.

We're in a similar battle with them over Kiltie.

Wee things need kept in their box.

Do you make things up on purpose or do you just post any old shite that bounces about in your empty head?

Not one St.Mirren fan has said we're signing Cole.

A few have said that we'd like to, or that he's one that the club is interested in, which is an entirely different matter.

He'll either stay at Motherwell or end up at a club down south.

Edited by FTOF

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Cole or Lafferty? I seen some of the Cole stuff on Twitter but it seemed to come entirely from wee guys and/or moonhowlers.

Ignore Randomguy, he's talking shite. He made a complete c**t of himself a couple of days ago on our thread when he thought MOH was signing for us. Everyone laughed at him (which you'd think he'd be used to) and he's been pouting ever since.