Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I have to admit to not knowing enough about his style of play to accurately pass comment- but does 10 goals and 4 assists in a terrible Accies team not suggest a decent bit of creativity?

Fair point on his goals but to me he's an O'Hara style "Labrador chasing a tennis ball" sort of midfielder rather than someone who'll put his foot on the ball and actually make passes which is what I'd say we're lacking.

No doubt Callachan had a great season for Accies, but it's a pass from me too. 

I agree with @capt_oats (again) in that from what I've seen he's a very similar type of midfielder to Mark O'Hara - blood and thunder, hard running, but not a whole lot in the way of guile or ability to dictate play and pick passes.

Based on nothing other than the fact I've been really impressed with him whenever I've seen him, I'd like us to take a look at Regan Hendry at Raith , although I imagine his performances this season have put him well out of our price range. 

24 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I have to admit to not knowing enough about his style of play to accurately pass comment- but does 10 goals and 4 assists in a terrible Accies team not suggest a decent bit of creativity?

He was effectively played as striker though, remember.

He's absolutely hopeless unless you ask him to just run into folk and shoot whenever he gets the ball.

Edited by RandomGuy.

12 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Callachan would be a no from me as well. I don't imagine it would have been too difficult to be a stand out in a shite Accies team.

On the other hand, I actually think it's quite credible to get those "numbers" in a terrible team with dross around you but given the description from everyone else and the fact he didn't stand out to me when we played Accies this season is enough to be a no from me. We do need our next centre mid to be able to play a pass.

When you consider that we had a pretty dysfunctional midfield this past season, with no real creativity and no decent sitting midfielder - the fact we made it to a comfortable mid-table finish feels almost impressive. Campbell this season reminded me of Lasley's role at times in the past where he was popping up everywhere and trying to do everything - but without that, I think we would really have been toiling. 

Midfield (and the creative part of it) is a difficult thing to get right but you'd imagine that it must be a priority this summer..

40 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Donnelly, Callachan, O'Hara? Fans of weak willed teams calling us thugs? Top after 4 games because we've battered everyone to death?

tina turner auntie entity GIF

Make it so.

I can't help but think when that midfield has an off game we'd be atrocious and create nothing. 

But when it worked there would be nobody left standing by half time as we stormed to victory. 

Needing a creative midfielder and Dundee back in the league...what's Craig Tanner up to these days?
18 appearances in 2 years for Aldershot. Granted there's been a pandemic during that time but it would suggest his knee is still held to gather with Blu Tack.

34 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, dezz said:
Needing a creative midfielder and Dundee back in the league...what's Craig Tanner up to these days?

18 appearances in 2 years for Aldershot. Granted there's been a pandemic during that time but it would suggest his knee is still held to gather with Blu Tack.

He'd still score vs Dundee.