Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

My thoughts on Beneghan at the time were that he was a decent enough defender but utterly hopeless on the ball. Every team that played against us pressed so he was the one that would end up
on the ball and would inevitably lump it forward and lose possession.

I mean he might have improved in the years he’s been away but I’m leaning towards no thanks.

35 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

My thoughts on Beneghan at the time were that he was a decent enough defender but utterly hopeless on the ball. Every team that played against us pressed so he was the one that would end up
on the ball and would inevitably lump it forward and lose possession.

I mean he might have improved in the years he’s been away but I’m leaning towards no thanks.

well.thumb.png.5e50e6d181b4ca2fff042b4e048c1204.png

My stupid wee system says hes still pretty woeful in terms of on the ball stuff. But in terms of sophistication, yer Analytics FC boys are using a  brand new iPhone while im using cans and a wire, so theres that.

Fwiw, my take on Beneghan is we absolutely won a watch getting cash money for him. £400k or whatever it was for a boy that had played 1 season in a largely dugmeat side is a result in anyone's book.

That said, the team he was dropped into was pretty shambolic (finished on fewer points than we did this season). Robinson had left for Oldham, we'd promoted McFadden and the story was that McGhee was commuting from Brighton. Add that to the fact he'd signed with us from Chester and was making a step up means there's at least an argument that he wasn't in the best circumstances to shine.

I'll not pretend I've seen much of him since he left but generally speaking a quick Google search suggests he seems to have turned into a good EFL League 1 level defender that's had quite a lot of attention (or he has a very active agent) and going by Nixon's tweet he's currently the AFC Wimbledon captain. 

I'm pretty sure he teased a rumour about him coming back a couple of seasons ago but it never came to anything.

Free transfer? We could do worse (and have). Under contract and needing a fee? Hmmmmmmm.

Edited by capt_oats

Mind Tom Aldred was dug meat at Inverness? He went away and bounced about the English lower leagues for a few years and ended up doing okay with us.

Beneghan was never great but he was far from the worst defender in a team that included Zak Jules, Craig Samson and a whole load of other dross. I'd be quite willing to give him another chance and feel like he could do well in a half decent side (which we very much weren't during his first spell).

I wasn’t the biggest Beneghan fan when he was here and still maintain getting £400k for him after 1 middling to average season was some of the best transfer business the club has done in the last few years.

Freely admit I’ve not seen a single minute of him since he’s left but he seems to have forged a half decent career for himself down south. The more I see/hear from Alexander the more I like so if he thinks he’s the right man to fill a gap at CB then.. 🤷‍♂️ f**k it, why not.

I forgot Heneghan hung about for the first few games of that season. Maybe just me but it looked a bit weird seeing him hug Kipre and Dunne etc, those two teams feel miles apart from each other but it was really only 7 or 8 months between getting scudded 7-2 at Pittodrie and going to Hampden.

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I forgot Heneghan hung about for the first few games of that season. Maybe just me but it looked a bit weird seeing him hug Kipre and Dunne etc, those two teams feel miles apart from each other but it was really only 7 or 8 months between getting scudded 7-2 at Pittodrie and going to Hampden.

Watching that clip along with season ticket renewals has made me very excited to have fans back at Fir Park. 

7 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Mulgrew has 40 something Scotland caps, good at free kicks, vegan, wants to play until he is 40, can play in defence or midfield -

I dunno why but that sentence gave me massive Sinisa Mihajlovic vibes and I am 100% into that

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This video has broken my brain. Heneghan, Charlie Dunne's man bun, Craig Tanner, Cardoso with a complete face. 

27 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It's a bit odd that Gallagher is there but the likes of Long and Campbell aren't. Is that down to his contract extending to June, presumably as part of the 'gun to his head' negotiations in January?

Aye, he's not out of contract so he's still a Motherwell player.

I'm guessing Cole's still there because he's been offered a new deal along with Dunne and Fox. Same with Cornelius (and I'd imagine Johnston, Connelly and Devine - despite none of those three having been listed either way on the Squad Update)

Edited by capt_oats