Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

'Said to be'... Said by who, Alexander himself?, Magloires' agent?, some chunt at the wind up? 

Lamie and Mugabi already have the 'distinctly average' berths covered, think we should be aiming for better. 

The article that Tweet's lifted from is taking a fair bit of license with the quote that appeared on the OS.

The prospect of an addition in that area of the pitch will open up the prospect of one, or both of Carter and Magloire leaving on loan, but with Magloire into the final year of his deal, and turning 23 in December, Motherwell may try and tempt him with the offer of a permanent deal.

“We remain in positive discussions with a number of clubs in relation to one or two players we had on loan, with a view to doing something. But these things take some time,” Alexander said of possible interest in Magloire.

“The process of rebuilding the squad is well underway.”

Link

The context of the quote has f**k all to do with the bold Tyler.

2001872322_ScreenShot2021-05-29at14_32_42.thumb.png.5ad27cc1bf31bd3406bbccb5db3116cc.png

#announceCharlie

Edited by capt_oats

It’ll be the whole  ‘not a very good footballer’ thing. 
That's it exactly. The thing is, they're both big, strong athletic guys who look like they should be good at football. They just aren't.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Just had a nosey at Random Guy’s summer transfer thread to see if there is any decent centre backs been released in the Premiership.

Ash Taylor and Tommy Hoban were the best of a bad bad bunch. No thanks.

For fun here are links to Transfermarkt's OOC list for the lower leagues in England, feel free to filter down to centre backs.

EFL Championship
EFL League 1
EFL League 2
National League

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:
6 hours ago, 18May1991 said:
It’ll be the whole  ‘not a very good footballer’ thing. 

That's it exactly. The thing is, they're both big, strong athletic guys who look like they should be good at football. They just aren't.

Charles Dunne didn't look very good at football either but he turned into a player.

7 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Hmmm. Not sure what it is but Magloire gives me strong Zak Jules vibes.

My only memories of Zak Jules in a Motherwell shirt are 1) him stopping the ball going out for a goal kick leading to an opposition player (can’t remember who we were playing) gaining possession and running into score and 2) him heading the ball over Samson in McGhee’s last game.

Having said that, he wasn’t THAT bad the last few times I saw him at Walsall.

#BringHimHome

Edited by ZX1886

42 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

My only memories of Zak Jules in a Motherwell shirt are 1) him stopping the ball going out for a goal kick leading to an opposition player (can’t remember who we were playing) gaining possession and running into score and 2) him heading the ball over Samson in McGhee’s last game.

Having said that, he wasn’t THAT bad the last few times I saw him at Walsall.

#BringHimHome

Knowing the power this thread possesses I respectfully ask that you delete this before anyone notices.

18 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Surely we haven’t reached the point where we are ruling out a signing based on a 10 second Instagram story? 😂

I mean, we're actively making up transfers based on 10 second IG stories so it seems a logical next step.

By the by, it got me thinking earlier that if the plan going forward is to lean into the way Alexander was trying to get us to play when he was just in the door, specifically playing out from the back with centre backs dropping in to pick the ball up from the GK at bye kicks and what not, then what we definitely need is centre backs who are comfortable on the ball.

With the greatest of respect to big Bev and the Bathgate Maldini - they're not that.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm not saying it should be Mulgrew but if we're going to be making a marquee signing this summer I'd hope it's at centre back. I don't have anything against Lamie, Magloire or Mugabi but I'd prefer not to have more than one in our starting eleven at a time.

I’d give him a year, as long as he’s happy for a wage that’s within our budget.

I know he’s getting on a bit, but he’s vastly experienced, technically very good for a centre half, can fill in one or two other positions and he’s a good set piece taker.

I’m sure he’s now vegan and looks after himself better than he perhaps used to and said he wants to play until forty.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I’d give him a year, as long as he’s happy for a wage that’s within our budget.

I know he’s getting on a bit, but he’s vastly experienced, technically very good for a centre half, can fill in one or two other positions and he’s a good set piece taker.

I’m sure he’s now vegan and looks after himself better than he perhaps used to and said he wants to play until forty.

863431502_ScreenShot2021-05-30at09_46_12.thumb.png.b7211c292da7273a753f59acce65f4ca.png

Vegan since 2018. Our manager is also vegan, it's happening IMO.

In all seriousness, thinking back to Burrows comments about how tough the January window was to get players in and the possible Covid hangover of convincing English players to move up it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we found ourselves at least partly in the market for players who are specifically looking to come back up the road.

Alexander's not really said too much about what he's looking for beyond the “Always interested in good players, regardless of whether they have a good history with our club or not.", "Any good player that’s available is under consideration for us.", "we are interested in every good player that’s out there that can help us win games", "we want to bring in players with the right character" type soundbites but one thing that does feel different about him compared to Robinson is that he's said a couple of times that he's less inclined to judge players based on their age on account of the length of his own career.

"I played until I was 40 so I'm the last person to judge a player on his birth certificate, whether it's at one end of the scale or the other and it will be no different here."

Link

Edited by capt_oats