Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, superward said:

Interesting wee nugget from Martin Foyle. Maybe a wee nod to the change of direction some have indicated on here. Bit more data led 

"On why he left, he continued: "Everything at the club then changed and they've gone in a different direction so I made the decision to leave. They wanted to be more data-led but at the end of the day, you've still got to find people who want to play for the club, rather than just coming for the money. "

You signed up with an analytics company at some point this season, sure it was mentioned on here, so presumably that's what he's on about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnalyticsFC

Shoutout to [mention=70831]dezz[/mention] for a very enjoyable Terrace Extra Patreon with Fowler.
Good work.

Cheers [mention=26104]capt_oats[/mention]

Hopefully that was the last time I’ll have to think or talk about this season ever again.

32 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

So are we trying to Moneyball it ?

Live scenes from Fir Park.

giphy.gif

In honesty the whole Moneyball concept is using data and analytics to find players who have been undervalued.

Clearly I've no idea what the discussion on strategy has been but I'd guess that @well fan for life's point about simply using data to inform recruitment decisions is probably closer to the mark than us using stats to try and find someone who'll score 20 goals a season but no one's noticed because he looks weird.

Edited by capt_oats

[Probably boring]
Kevin de Bruyne negotiated his last contract using data and I am all in favour of it as an approach. https://trainingground.guru/articles/how-analytics-fc-helped-de-bruyne-negotiate-new-man-city-deal 

Tbh I'd be disappointed if anyone actively rejected use of data in football. Ultimately if you can use data to narrow your pool of targets down to folk who can add value to your team in terms of raw numbers then that's only a good thing.

Obviously if they then turn out to be a w**k/want a fortune then you can get rid of them at that point.

[/probably boring]

47 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

So are we trying to Moneyball it ?

That's how we've managed to do so well, players like Lithgow, Hardie, Dykes and a few others were scouted using stat based information

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

[Probably boring]
Kevin de Bruyne negotiated his last contract using data and I am all in favour of it as an approach. https://trainingground.guru/articles/how-analytics-fc-helped-de-bruyne-negotiate-new-man-city-deal 

Tbh I'd be disappointed if anyone actively rejected use of data in football. Ultimately if you can use data to narrow your pool of targets down to folk who can add value to your team in terms of raw numbers then that's only a good thing.

Obviously if they then turn out to be a w**k/want a fortune then you can get rid of them at that point.

[/probably boring]

But none of your xG pish?

Mulgrew is 35 now and last played for Fleetwood Town. I think every team and every dressing room needs some experience in it to guide the younger plays. However, I'm not sure if Charlie fucking Mulgrew has the right kind of character to be that guy. 

Not for me. 

25 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Hmmm. Not sure what it is but Magloire gives me strong Zak Jules vibes.

'Said to be'... Said by who, Alexander himself?, Magloires' agent?, some chunt at the wind up? 

Lamie and Mugabi already have the 'distinctly average' berths covered, think we should be aiming for better.