Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Tbf he's a unit and is able to control the ball, so at worst he'll be a Chris Kane type figure.

Motherwell can't really lose with this deal.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf he's a unit and is able to control the ball, so at worst he'll be a Chris Kane type figure.

Motherwell can't really lose with this deal.

To be fair to @Ludo*1 I raised an eyebrow when I saw it was a 3 year deal - that seems the sort of commitment we don't usually dish out.

Having said that, it feels like he's a straight swap for Chris Long but (presumably) taking up less of the budget for that squad role. Given we still have an offer on the table to Devante Cole (and the sort of numbers we're talking about recruiting) we're not bringing Shields in and asking him to be our starting striker.

So essentially we're looking at him needing to match or outperform Long's output.

It was mentioned a few pages back but given the relative interest in him and the fact that he was one of the form players in the Championship last season this really isn't the sort of signing we normally make. Which is a nice start to the window, if nothing else.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

To be fair to @Ludo*1 I raised an eyebrow when I saw it was a 3 year deal - that seems the sort of commitment we don't usually dish out.

Having said that, it feels like he's a straight swap for Chris Long but (presumably) taking up less of the budget for that squad role. Given we still have an offer on the table to Devante Cole (and the sort of numbers we're talking about recruiting) we're not bringing Shields in and asking him to be our starting striker.

So essentially we're looking at him needing to match or outperform Long's output.

It was mentioned a few pages back but given the relative interest in him and the fact that he was one of the form players in the Championship last season this really isn't the sort of signing we normally make. Which is a nice start to the window, if nothing else.

He looks guaranteed to be a decent option at least, so you've either got a decent striking option on low wages for 3yrs, or you've got the next Dykes on a long deal.

Deals makes sense for everyone IMO, especially if you extend Coles deal too.

Some amount of faith to be putting into a player that's had half a good season.
He looked quality against us earlier in the season though.

He’ll look class against a tired defence after 70 minutes of Cole/Moult running rings around them.

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

5 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

He’ll look class against a tired defence after 70 minutes of Cole/Moult running rings around them.

I'd certainly have been happy with the business it's just the 3 year deal that threw me!

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Happy for the boy. Should be a decent move. It's a step up but not a ridiculous leap in quality so he should manage the step up.

He was deployed to run the channels with us and can run all day. He also knows how to finish and hold the ball up well. I'm not sure how he'll be used at Motherwell but he was predominantly a lone striker for us and did it well. I think with a partner he could do better with his goal return. Our CM was pretty shite last season and we had no one to feed him so he did really well to score as many as he did and a few of his goals were done off his own back.

I'll be keeping an eye on how he does and really hope it's a cracking signing for both parties.

Has he had any issues with his knees?

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd certainly have been happy with the business it's just the 3 year deal that threw me!

Thats only because a lot of clubs have been reigning in 3 year deals in the last few years.

Hibs have tried to sign up good prospects on longer contracts where poss - if only to ensure we dont get rogered if they move on (Doig / Nisbet both on long term deals). 

Just noticed we signed Daniel Mackay on a 4 year as well.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, we've often given Academy players long term deals James Scott was 3.5 years, Allan Campbell was 4 years. Dom Thomas and Luke Watt were both 3.5 years as well :lol:.

I can't think of the last player we actually signed on a 3 year deal though. Recently for new signings it's generally been one year or two year deals (with an option in Declan's case).

Edit: Actually, we signed Richard Tait on a 3 year deal back in 2016. Turns out Moult was a 3 year deal in 2015 also. So there you go.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward

Fair play to the club with a 3 year deal. 

Most fans have called for longer deals when we've been dishing out 1 and 2 years all over the place.  

Yeah - 22 league games. Little more than half a normal season's worth.
He was highly rated at Alloa the season before but played wide a lot as far as I remember. He played wide a few times with us as well tbh and was still one of our better performers. He's quite clearly capable of making the step up.
Has he had any issues with his knees?
Not that I know of. He was injured for a spell during the season after being booted off the park by Alloa but it was a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was highly rated at Alloa the season before but played wide a lot as far as I remember. He played wide a few times with us as well tbh and was still one of our better performers. He's quite clearly capable of making the step up. Not that I know of. He was injured for a spell during the season after being booted off the park by Alloa but it was a speedy recovery.

I rate Shields, but your lot aren't great with your predictions of players making the grade in the top flight. See Mark Durnan and Kevin Holt.

On 26/05/2021 at 21:58, ropy said:

Gallagher tried hard to be gracious, possibly a little too hard, but I am willing to let it go.

’We move on’

He really should have been presented with some sort of award for the amount of times he used the word 'obviously' in that interview.