Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shields is an odd one. We were linked earlier this season so had a look, at he doesn't actually look that great. 

Played off the left for them a lot. He isn't that great in the air, isn't quick, isn't that great on the ball, scores goals but they're mostly from outside the box so aren't really sustainable.

I'd think he'll end up good enough to be a nuisance at this level but just a ~5 goal a season type tbh. 

All that with the caveat he could thrive in a more adventurous side than QOS.

Many times have you actually watc hed him play?

Please don't tell me you're basing this all off your stats website.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Many times have you actually watc hed him play?

Please don't tell me you're basing this all off your stats website.

I watched about 2hrs worth of him, mostly on the ball stuff.

He looks like he could develop nicely simply because his build/raw ability, but I think folk are being guided by the screamers he's scored this season + desperately trying to find the next Dykes.

Fully prepared for him to bag 20+ goals next season, but to me he's a lower half top flight striker just now, probably just someone to come in and out the side depending on set up.

This is all just my opinion BTW, I've been wrong plenty of times before.

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about him other than he was with Albion Rovers and got a move to Sunderland along with the fact he absolutely bodied Hearts and was a big part of turning QoTS' season around.

He doesn't seem to have a YouTube hype video which is annoying but based on the bits and pieces you can find from match highlights and what not you can see shades of Chrissy Long/peak Hastie in there.

Massive LOL at the Ayr #6 absolutely chucking it for that first goal btw.

Edited by capt_oats

Shields is an odd one. We were linked earlier this season so had a look, at he doesn't actually look that great. 
Played off the left for them a lot. He isn't that great in the air, isn't quick, isn't that great on the ball, scores goals but they're mostly from outside the box so aren't really sustainable.
I'd think he'll end up good enough to be a nuisance at this level but just a ~5 goal a season type tbh. 
All that with the caveat he could thrive in a more adventurous side than QOS.
He started the season on the left but hit form, and turned our season round, when he moved in to the centre.

He isn't greatly in the airport but he is pretty quick and stronger than he looks. He'll do well in a side that likes to play the ball over the top particularly into the channels.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He started the season on the left but hit form, and turned our season round, when he moved in to the centre.

He isn't greatly in the airport but he is pretty quick and stronger than he looks. He'll do well in a side that likes to play the ball over the top particularly into the channels.

Not an area many fare well in, particularly on the way back from your holidays after a last night blowout on cheap vodka and shots. Some of them are a living hell. Harsh to judge him on it imo, we've all been there. 

Definitely seems to have potential, and would be happy enough to see him at Fir Park. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Not an area many fare well in, particularly on the way back from your holidays after a last night blowout on cheap vodka and shots. Some of them are a living hell. Harsh to judge him on it imo, we've all been there. 

Definitely seems to have potential, and would be happy enough to see him at Fir Park. 

I dunno, I like my players to have their passport in a bag round their neck, liquids in a clear bottle and a nice easy ride through security

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Quite excited by the sounds of that. Can only remember seeing his goals at Tynecastle but it feels like the sort of smart signing we should make but never really seem to.

I see he made the PFA Scotland Championship Team of The Year.

He's maybe not Regan Hendry type hype but as punts from the Championship go it definitely feels a bit smarter than Jordan White (for example).

I'd imagine we'll have a better idea of where things stand when the GTFO list is released but when you look at the players who are either OOC or loans are expiring (Long, Cole, Roberts, Hastie, Seedorf, Smith) going by @Mr X's summary there's probably a space in the squad for a player like that.

PFA-Scotland-CHampionship-Team-of-the-Ye

Edited by capt_oats

We have had a week, I would like to think that if we wanted to offer e.g. Cole or Long a new contract that they have had that week to think things through, if they haven’t said yes then they are on the list and ‘we move on’.

We have had a week, I would like to think that if we wanted to offer e.g. Cole or Long a new contract that they have had that week to think things through, if they haven’t said yes then they are on the list and ‘we move on’.

We’ve made them fantastic offers.

I know this is something that's been known to folk with 'sources' at the club as per the statement last week he's been appointed and in the role for a while but I see it looks like that's our new HOR and replacement for Foyle sort of public knowledge (he's updated his LinkedIn).

Clocked it in a 'Motherwell' Twitter search last night and a boy had Tweeted about it.

Looks like it's Nick Daws (a Google search throws up his LinkedIn as the 4th hit returned and his title at Motherwell seems to be Head of Recruitment Operations) - worked with Alexander at Scunthorpe but most recently at AFC Wimbledon in Assistant Manager and Head of Recruitment roles (until February this year). Previously a coach with QPR, Barnsley and Rotherham with a playing career at Bury.

1545336404_ScreenShot2021-05-24at09_53_13.thumb.png.a175fcc5164604c3bce746df530a52d4.png

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know this is something that's been known to folk with 'sources' at the club as per the statement last week he's been appointed and in the role for a while but I see it looks like that's our new HOR and replacement for Foyle sort of public knowledge (he's updated his LinkedIn).

Clocked it in a 'Motherwell' Twitter search last night and a boy had Tweeted about it.

Looks like it's Nick Daws (a Google search throws up his LinkedIn as the 4th hit returned and his title at Motherwell seems to be Head of Recruitment Operations) - worked with Alexander at Scunthorpe but most recently at AFC Wimbledon in Assistant Manager and Head of Recruitment roles (until February this year). Previously a coach with QPR, Barnsley and Rotherham with a playing career at Bury.

1545336404_ScreenShot2021-05-24at09_53_13.thumb.png.a175fcc5164604c3bce746df530a52d4.png

Can you find out if his speciality is recruiting huge mental b*****d centre halfs and midfield psychos please? Asking for a friend.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Can you find out if his speciality is recruiting huge mental b*****d centre halfs and midfield psychos please? Asking for a friend.

I cannot however I did notice that AFC Wimbledon signed Beneghan last November.

1889522403_ScreenShot2021-05-24at10_40_47.thumb.png.7185e53724ecc8d60d6aa37b01f152a2.png

Apropos of nothing...
I was catching up with Scottish football news and saw the story about the Rangers loanee playing for Brechin getting himself sent off for homophobic language... what caught my eye is that our very own Kallum Higginbotham had managed to find his level at Kelty Hearts.    Blimey.  

I seem to remember Kallum not having many fans at the time of his 10 games before he sodded off to Partick, but he did manage to score one of my very favourite Motherwell goals.  Not only was it a cracking finish but most of the team got involved in the build up.  A great goal.  So I'm kinda surprised he's fallen so far down the ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKifmO9uaA

8 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Apropos of nothing...
I was catching up with Scottish football news and saw the story about the Rangers loanee playing for Brechin getting himself sent off for homophobic language... what caught my eye is that our very own Kallum Higginbotham had managed to find his level at Kelty Hearts.    Blimey.  

I seem to remember Kallum not having many fans at the time of his 10 games before he sodded off to Partick, but he did manage to score one of my very favourite Motherwell goals.  Not only was it a cracking finish but most of the team got involved in the build up.  A great goal.  So I'm kinda surprised he's fallen so far down the ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKifmO9uaA

He had been in the documentary Kashmir team