Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think Celtic had the opportunity to mess the club and Turnbull about last summer with a low offer and it's to their credit that they didn't and appear to have behaved in a very professional manner. It was noticeable that both clubs publicly thanked each other for the way they handled things- don't often see that.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think Celtic had the opportunity to mess the club and Turnbull about last summer with a low offer and it's to their credit that they didn't and appear to have behaved in a very professional manner. It was noticeable that both clubs publicly thanked each other for the way they handled things- don't often see that.

I mean, it's not like they didn't chance their arm in trying to revise the original deal at the time.

1623241774_ScreenShot2021-05-21at15_21_42.thumb.png.131ec1d207a955cdd074ce1a7ab579d9.png

Link - from accounts via Companies House.

But broadly aye - in agreement with @Jim McLean's Ghost and your posts.

Celtic definitely chanced their arm when his injury cropped up in the medical. And you can't really blame them for that. Fair play to the club for sticking it out and in the end up we got basically as much as we were ever likely to get for him as a Motherwell player. 

I suspect basically all of the negotiation was done first time round and just had the caveat of showing he had a pair of functioning knees before the cheque was signed. 

Our fans pull their hair out enough about us looking after players we already have who got dodgy knees whilst playing for us, let alone us signing one, so I don't think we're in a position to criticise Celtic for revising their offer. 

I am glad we didn't accept it however, as a once in a generation talent is worth the risk of his rehab working.

At the end of the day, the situation appears to have worked out well for the player and both clubs.

2 hours ago, dezz said:

Announced on the Club twitter now too, which also confirms a new appointment has already been made and has been working with GA on summer recruitment. 

I guess this is the change in strategy that @Onthefringes hinted at a few weeks back. I really want to know who OTF is ....a bigger mystery than who 'H' was!

H is for…..

D6351F06-B366-404C-9541-4C9F52950C1B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

They could have but I think they might have been put off by the knee condition.

Whatever we think of Celtic they were very professional about the whole thing. And I think their medical team were a great help to Turnbull when they uncovered the issue. And they came through with around £3m they offered even after he spent a year on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Far too sensible but I broadly agree. 

I just find it amusing that Celtic fans on Kerrydale St are insulted at a purported offer of over twice what they paid for a player less than a year ago. They want a minimum £10-£14m 😆

The Seville (transfer) calculator 🤔

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Far too sensible but I broadly agree. 

I just find it amusing that Celtic fans on Kerrydale St are insulted at a purported offer of over twice what they paid for a player less than a year ago. They want a minimum £10-£14m 😆

The Seville (transfer) calculator 🤔

I would say in this case that I'm 100% behind Celtic's efforts to inflate the value of DT at any point - if they hype him up to 15m - that would be great for our sell-on. No down side for us.

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

A64DDEE4-AD95-41C7-8B32-AAD02F714EEF.thumb.jpeg.038d4d8e07e1a58e82af8a090163fea2.jpeg

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF

Literally just watched the first couple of minutes and I saw Forrest (think it was him)  goal v Celtic and it was as much a carbon copy of the Vigurs goal last Sunday as you will see.

Lamie backing off but with no awareness that the attacker can actually shoot right into the net. He has come on a bit but that is simply awful defending x 2. As a minimum you must know where the goal is in relation to the player in front of you. 

Frustrated Kill Me GIF

Scott Burns getting in on the act now.

Motherwell are set to step up their bid to land Connor Shields this week.

Well boss Graham Alexander has already held positive talks with the out-of-contract Queen of the South striker.

And Record Sport understands the Fir Park outfit are in the driving seat to sign the 13 goal frontman.

Shields has also held talks with Dundee United boss Micky Mellon but Motherwell, as it stands, look favourites to land him.

More talks between Alexander and Shields are planned in the coming days.

The former Sunderland forward has really come to the fore with the Doonhamers this season.

Shields is an odd one. We were linked earlier this season so had a look, at he doesn't actually look that great. 

Played off the left for them a lot. He isn't that great in the air, isn't quick, isn't that great on the ball, scores goals but they're mostly from outside the box so aren't really sustainable.

I'd think he'll end up good enough to be a nuisance at this level but just a ~5 goal a season type tbh. 

All that with the caveat he could thrive in a more adventurous side than QOS.