Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I assume the slowness of getting "the list" out is that the media team are making a top notch video announcement akin to the Euro squad announcements.

Based on the famous scene where the Von Trapp family disappear one by one off the stage in The Sound of Music.

That would be funny.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Take your pick as far as rumours go:

Stoke - there were rumours about them wanting him last summer and they've resurfaced https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/stoke-city-interested-motherwells-allan-24097317
Millwall - had a cash bid knocked back in January. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/millwall-blackpool-battling-motherwells-allan-24119302
Blackpool - see the link above. I'd imagine it'd depend on whether they get promoted to the Championship via the Play-Off though.
Luton - apparently had their head of recruitment up at the weekend https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-allan-campbell-banner-tribute-24119588

I'd imagine there are others.

London aside, that's a fucking grim set of locales. I know that Lanarkshire isn't the most picturesque place on earth but when you see it laid out like that it's understandable why a lot of guys who are just below Old Firm/EPL levels are choosing to go to Australia and America or continental Europe rather than taking their chances in some post industrial Championship shitehole.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

London aside, that's a fucking grim set of locales. I know that Lanarkshire isn't the most picturesque place on earth but when you see it laid out like that it's understandable why a lot of guys who are just below Old Firm/EPL levels are choosing to go to Australia and America or continental Europe rather than taking their chances in some post industrial Championship shitehole.

Hi Mrs Polworth!

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's such a gammon-y collection of clubs as well.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I assume the slowness of getting "the list" out is that the media team are making a top notch video announcement akin to the Euro squad announcements.

200.gif

Guest superward
On 18/05/2021 at 14:35, welldaft said:

IN the one that really matters i.e The Scottish Cup.

Since 1991 Rangers have lost 3 times in the final to DDee Utd, Hearts and Hibs. Celtic have not lost in a final to a non old firm side certainly not since 1991. 

We have been to the Scottish Cup final 8 times won it twice. Killie 8 appearances won it 3 times. United 10 times finalists and have same two wins as we have. Only Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, United, Queens Park (pre 1900) and of course Rangers and Celtic have been to more finals with more wins. So no great surprises. 

Good post. Similar to my views. I've always felt we are the 'level' of club who should only be winning it very 30 or 40 years. As much as that's hard to take.  Not that that makes it any less annoying seeing other clubs like ours making it to finals etc.

Edited by superward

Guest superward

Aston Villa sniffing about Turnbull for 7m. 

Did we actually get a sell on into the deal second time around? 

Cant remember the wording of the sale announcement 

The quote from the original deal doesn't mention a fee nor a sell on, it says :

While the fee can not be disclosed due to a confidentiality clause in the transfer agreement, it vastly exceeds the amount the club received for its previous record sale of Phil O’Donnell, also to Celtic, of £1.75m.

Regardless of whether there's a sell on built into the deal or not (I think there would be based on every other deal we've done recently having them eg: Johnson) we'll be due a % of whatever fee he goes for anyway as part of a solidarity payment.

32765684_ScreenShot2021-05-19at17_36_06.thumb.png.a74d48ae9288075688344cfcf22dd623.png70039229_ScreenShot2021-05-19at17_36_49.thumb.png.69a69157cae64e07dd6e6024f5ce1786.png

Afaik this is the only time anyone from the club has mentioned it in public, although it is still pretty cryptic as he's definitely stopping short of saying "sell-on" but does seem to suggest we're in line for something at least.

Maybe it the silence was deafening rather than just concerning we'd have got a more definitive answer.

Screenshot_20210112-035447__01.thumb.jpg.68489038f552e605bd38d47d50c34f39.jpg.65847b6af5b4e597f1aac36fd949e9ff.jpg

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Guest superward
22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Regardless of whether there's a sell on built into the deal or not (I think there would be based on every other deal we've done recently having them eg: Johnson) we'll be due a % of whatever fee he goes for anyway as part of a solidarity payment.

32765684_ScreenShot2021-05-19at17_36_06.thumb.png.a74d48ae9288075688344cfcf22dd623.png70039229_ScreenShot2021-05-19at17_36_49.thumb.png.69a69157cae64e07dd6e6024f5ce1786.png

I wonder if this is the 'opportunity to earn' referred to and not a strict sell on. 

We were in between a rock and hard place in a way when we sold given he'd extended (thanks David) but it was clear the move was wanted by both parties and we didn't want to sit it out really and get less in January.

Seems odd we don't directly refer to a sell on in comms at the time. Although that could be per agreement with Celtic I guess 

Edited by superward

Knew this would happen. 

Dont blame the club as David could have injured himself and the £3m would go up in smoke. Plus the player signed another contract to protect the club so we did the right thing so to speak for his benefit. Probably made a promise when he signed the contract. 

But I would ask (if the rumours are true) why he becomes worth £7m now when we supposedly got just over £3m for him. £2.7m if you believe the Sun. I know..... Puzzles me and other Well fans why other clubs did not offer to buy him when Celtic did. Aston Villa could have offered us £5m and saved themselves some money. 

What makes it even more laughable is that the Celtic fans are laughing this out the water demanding at least double that or same fee as they paid for Tierney ! Probably some of the same fans that said he was not worth more than the £3m we were looking for.
Donald Trump Whatever GIF

Edited by welldaft