Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Guest superward
24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Sherwin is just a succession of poor decisions on a football pitch. Screamer at Tynecastle aside he's got f**k all else going for him apart from being rapid.

The hope I guess would be we take his raw natural pace and coach the technical and decision making aspects into his game over a couple of years to improve him. That was one of Robinson's big things really.

The improvement hasn't really happened so it's goodbye and farewell Sherwin for me. He's only 23 so he may improve but we can't carry that in a squad really. Same goes for Hastie  

Edited by superward

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

Interested to hear what people's threshold is for "celebrating" 1991. I love Motherwell nostalgia more than most but at the 20 year mark it moved from celebrating a defining moment to a bit of an embarrassment that we haven't won anything since. By 30 years, it's actively annoying me.

We've been in lots of finals and true we've not had the luck to be against anyone other than OF teams in good form but I'm openly jealous of teams like us winning cups now. I'd be happy if we shut up about 91 until we win something else...

100% agree.

20 was (more than) plenty. unless they plan a big squad reunion and a night in the civic or something with them I think it's a pain in the arse now too. I think the youngsters are fed up with it anaw if memory serves me right.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:
Interested to hear what people's threshold is for "celebrating" 1991. I love Motherwell nostalgia more than most but at the 20 year mark it moved from celebrating a defining moment to a bit of an embarrassment that we haven't won anything since. By 30 years, it's actively annoying me.

We've been in lots of finals and true we've not had the luck to be against anyone other than OF teams in good form but I'm openly jealous of teams like us winning cups now. I'd be happy if we shut up about 91 until we win something else...

I absolutely get what you're saying, but...

* That was seriously one of the happiest weekends of my life
* The team was made up of a lot of top-quality Well players who'd still be legends even without the cup win
* The match itself was awesome - when I cast my vote on the BBC site yesterday it was running as 2nd best final of all time, and that's some going for a game that was 30 years ago

So I think it deserves the love, and I refuse to be embarrassed in revelling in it (in private.   I'm not intending to go full-English '66 with it)

When we lost the penalty shoot out to Hibs I also got the "don't want to win anything with this bunch of chancers" chat.   But I do feel it was a missed opportunity to get the 30 year monkey off our backs.   Sure, we'd never have been guaranteed to beat any of the other teams still in the competition, but once the OF is out the way, there's at least a chance.  I'd have taken a fluky couple of wins so we could have lifted the cup.  Sure, I'd find it difficult to love the team who did it,  and I'd never really think of them as heroes, but it would take the edge off all the finals and Euro games where we had bad lack or just failed to turn up with much better teams than we have now.
There'd surely be some banter value in fluking a cup win with a gang of absolute wage thieves :D

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

I was only born in 1990, so I wasn't there (still kind of annoyed I wasn't taken in a baby carrier by my dad) and I don't remember it, so I don't have the same nostalgic "I was there" feeling to it.

I'm of the opinion that we go on about it too much. I thought the white away top with the names of the players watermarked on it was a contender for the biggest riddy of a football top I've ever seen.

Quite often when I watch it I just feel like I've missed out big time being 31 and not having seen my team lift a trophy when anyone my age who supports Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Livingston, Ross County and Inverness (from the top of my head) have.

The club seems to mark every five years it passes. I hope in five years time, we have either a) won another trophy to speak about or b) realise that no one really celebrates the 35th anniversary of anything. We don't seem to go on about 1952 half as much so it's clear it's just the one that we have won more recently.

That said, I can still appreciate the team, the achievement etc and I do feel that I got a raw deal starting to come to the games in the 1996/97 season, having missed the cup win and the team that finished 2nd and 3rd the mid 90s (I think we finished in the top half once in my first seven seasons).

P.S. we don't seem to have heard much of him recently, but the fact we haven't won anything since 1991 seems to give Colin O'Neill something of a platform to air his mile-out views. If ever there was a case for the phrase "you shouldn't meet your heroes".

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

2 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I absolutely get what you're saying, but...

* That was seriously one of the happiest weekends of my life
* The team was made up of a lot of top-quality Well players who'd still be legends even without the cup win
* The match itself was awesome - when I cast my vote on the BBC site yesterday it was running as 2nd best final of all time, and that's some going for a game that was 30 years ago

So I think it deserves the love, and I refuse to be embarrassed in revelling in it (in private.   I'm not intending to go full-English '66 with it)

When we lost the penalty shoot out to Hibs I also got the "don't want to win anything with this bunch of chancers" chat.   But I do feel it was a missed opportunity to get the 30 year monkey off our backs.   Sure, we'd never have been guaranteed to beat any of the other teams still in the competition, but once the OF is out the way, there's at least a chance.  I'd have taken a fluky couple of wins so we could have lifted the cup.  Sure, I'd find it difficult to love the team who did it,  and I'd never really think of them as heroes, but it would take the edge off all the finals and Euro games where we had bad lack or just failed to turn up with much better teams than we have now.
There'd surely be some banter value in fluking a cup win with a gang of absolute wage thieves :D

I was there for every minute of that cup run - it was the best day of my life when we won it and I'll never forget it. But there are generations that haven't seen us win something and the stories about 91 have really all been told.

I would doubt any future cup win will measure up for those that were lucky enough to be there - but it would be fucking amazing for everyone else and would fill a gaping hole in what has been a really successful few decades in the league...

I mentioned it the other day but I was born a few months after the 91 cup win. Its staring to become a bit of a thing that I'm nearly 30 and have never seen my team win anything. Its made more annoying by the fact I've got mates who support St Johnstone, Killie and Dundee United and they've all seen their teams win at least 1 trophy in that time.

It's been bad luck to an extent in that every final we've got to since 91 we've either come up against either Rangers or Celtic. I've always thought of them as a free hit but I don't think we can say we've turned up in any of the finals against them. In saying that, if you lose against Rangers or Celtic in a final you tend to get over it pretty quickly. If we lost against one of the other provincial clubs, for example, I think I'd be properly devastated.

I want even born when we won the Scottish Cup. In the time that I have been born and watching games until now, we have had 4 finals and we have lost all 4 to the old firm. Its so depressing that all the cups similar in size to us have won the cup yet we always fail at the last hurdle.

By the "35th Aniversary" I would not really care at all. By then Hqmilton could probably win a cup and we would still be trophy-less. The less focusing on past victories and more focusing on new victories the better.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'm largely in the same place.

I was there (I'm losing my edge) and I've no problem with acknowledging it as an achievement but actively celebrating it is something that I've been over for a while and there's only really so often you can go back to that particular well. I've genuinely no idea as I was only about 5 but were we having events and celebrations for the '52 side in 82?

Looking at the mural in the Hunter Stand one of the massive positives of that (for me) is that it's celebrating an era of the club and tbh that's the sort of thing we should be aiming to do much more of IMO regardless of whether they won a trophy or not.

I mean, I've as much love for the post 91 team as I do the one that won the cup and feel that there's a group of genuinely great Motherwell players who have kind of been overshadowed by the 91 side.

Edited by capt_oats

I have a Dundee United supporting mate, it lives on for me.

I bought the one month Premier TV subscription for the Hibs match and let him borrow it for the United semi, but I changed the password to Kirk-1991.

Aye, the 25yr celebration of it was fine. It is a landmark anniversary that is recognised for all sorts of reasons and the club probably made a few quid with the merchandising range they brought out, like the replica tops etc. 

30 is into embarrassing territory for celebrating though, and I'd guess the uptake for the fiver a pop Q&A would have been fairly low, so although every penny counts, I don't think the academy or whoever the proceeds were destined for would have benefitted a great deal. 

Please, ffs Motherwell, just fkn win something again before I peg it. 

Guest superward

I was there as a wee boy so I so remember bits and it holds something nostalgic for me.

I don't think it's embarrassing, and a wee nod for the 30th on the socials is fine with me. 

But, aye, I think the stories have all been told to death now. So, not sure we need any other events etc specifically branded around the '91 cup win.

I missed the cup win by a month what with that whole not being born yet thing I had going on. 

A small nod on the 30th anniversary is just about passable but I'd rather we just left it the f**k alone now. I'd agree with @crazylegsjoe_mfc in that the white away top a few years back was a colossal minter. 

Given that we run the entire club I am declaring that this will be the last we hear of it. 

Anyway. ANNOUNCE GTF LIST.

Serious Q - apart from Hibs how many teams have beaten the Old firm in a final in the last 30 years ?

All I can recall is the likes of Hearts beating Gretna, St Johnstone beating Dundee United, Killie beating Falkirk. 

St Johnstone deserve immense credit this season and if they manage to win two cups in one season. Wow - but they will have beaten Hibs and Livingston in the finals. They did beat Rangers at Ibrox but we beat Rangers at Hampden a couple of years back only to meet high flying Celtic. 

Kudos to the other clubs, but the reality is we have not enjoyed the benefit or luck that comes with both the old firm being knocked out by the final or semi final stage. One day we might or one day we might even rise to the occasion but it is nigh impossible to beat the Old Firm in a final especially as in the case of Motherwell they have 66% of fans in the stadium. 

As for the nostalgia. I was there. I can take it or leave it. Does not bother my either way other than to ask where have the past 30 years gone..

Season 2 Drinking GIF by Graves

IN the one that really matters i.e The Scottish Cup.

Since 1991 Rangers have lost 3 times in the final to DDee Utd, Hearts and Hibs. Celtic have not lost in a final to a non old firm side certainly not since 1991. 

We have been to the Scottish Cup final 8 times won it twice. Killie 8 appearances won it 3 times. United 10 times finalists and have same two wins as we have. Only Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, United, Queens Park (pre 1900) and of course Rangers and Celtic have been to more finals with more wins. So no great surprises.