Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

No rumour mill about it, natural wasteage only of which I’d doubt many will have heard of.

In the absence of reserve football again next season, development has to change. I’m just not sure the manager views the player pathway the club do.

Was working off last weeks’ list...

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m sure this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but when is the release list likely to be announced.

Going by previous normal seasons it's been the Monday or Tuesday after the end of the season.

2019 - May 21st (final game 18th May - Livi (h) 3-2)
2018 - May 21st (final game 19th May - Scottish Cup final - Celtic (n) 2-0)
2017 - May 22nd (final game 20th May - ICT (a) 3-2)
2016 - May 16th (final game 15th May - Celtic (a) 7-0)
2015 - June 2nd (final game 31st May - Premiership Play-off Final 2nd leg: Rangers (h) 3-0)

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward
40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Going by previous normal seasons it's been the Monday or Tuesday after the end of the season.

2019 - May 21st (final game 18th May - Livi (h) 3-2)
2018 - May 21st (final game 19th May - Scottish Cup final (n) 2-0)
2017 - May 22nd (final game 20th May - ICT (a) 3-2)
2016 - May 16th (final game 15th May - Celtic (a) 7-0)
2015 - June 2nd (final game 31st May - Premiership Play-off Final 2nd leg: Rangers (h) 3-0)

Thanks for reminding me about 2016. That said, I'm oddly happier about losing to Ross County 2-1 now.

Edited by superward

14 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I genuinely forgot about Sherwin when making my worst player of the season list.

There's been various stages in the second half of the season I've forgotten about players existence. Sometimes him, sometimes Harry Smith, sometimes Eddie Nolan. Must be a record season for players whose impact was insignificant.

Interested to hear what people's threshold is for "celebrating" 1991. I love Motherwell nostalgia more than most but at the 20 year mark it moved from celebrating a defining moment to a bit of an embarrassment that we haven't won anything since. By 30 years, it's actively annoying me.

We've been in lots of finals and true we've not had the luck to be against anyone other than OF teams in good form but I'm openly jealous of teams like us winning cups now. I'd be happy if we shut up about 91 until we win something else...

Guest superward
24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Sherwin is just a succession of poor decisions on a football pitch. Screamer at Tynecastle aside he's got f**k all else going for him apart from being rapid.

The hope I guess would be we take his raw natural pace and coach the technical and decision making aspects into his game over a couple of years to improve him. That was one of Robinson's big things really.

The improvement hasn't really happened so it's goodbye and farewell Sherwin for me. He's only 23 so he may improve but we can't carry that in a squad really. Same goes for Hastie  

Edited by superward

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

Interested to hear what people's threshold is for "celebrating" 1991. I love Motherwell nostalgia more than most but at the 20 year mark it moved from celebrating a defining moment to a bit of an embarrassment that we haven't won anything since. By 30 years, it's actively annoying me.

We've been in lots of finals and true we've not had the luck to be against anyone other than OF teams in good form but I'm openly jealous of teams like us winning cups now. I'd be happy if we shut up about 91 until we win something else...

100% agree.

20 was (more than) plenty. unless they plan a big squad reunion and a night in the civic or something with them I think it's a pain in the arse now too. I think the youngsters are fed up with it anaw if memory serves me right.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

I absolutely get what you're saying, but...

* That was seriously one of the happiest weekends of my life
* The team was made up of a lot of top-quality Well players who'd still be legends even without the cup win
* The match itself was awesome - when I cast my vote on the BBC site yesterday it was running as 2nd best final of all time, and that's some going for a game that was 30 years ago

So I think it deserves the love, and I refuse to be embarrassed in revelling in it (in private.   I'm not intending to go full-English '66 with it)

When we lost the penalty shoot out to Hibs I also got the "don't want to win anything with this bunch of chancers" chat.   But I do feel it was a missed opportunity to get the 30 year monkey off our backs.   Sure, we'd never have been guaranteed to beat any of the other teams still in the competition, but once the OF is out the way, there's at least a chance.  I'd have taken a fluky couple of wins so we could have lifted the cup.  Sure, I'd find it difficult to love the team who did it,  and I'd never really think of them as heroes, but it would take the edge off all the finals and Euro games where we had bad lack or just failed to turn up with much better teams than we have now.
There'd surely be some banter value in fluking a cup win with a gang of absolute wage thieves :D