Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's obviously always a chance that this is just a purple patch Cole is going through BUT... if it isn't I think you could make an argument that on the last 6 month's form he's actually a better footballer than Moult.

I adore Moult and he has everything I'd want in a Motherwell centre forward but I'd say Devante is probably a better all round player in terms of technique and physicality. Moult has the edge when it comes to his rapport with the fans and a ridiculous knack for scoring in big games but I reckon their goal to game ratios will be fairly similar when playing as the focal point of our attack. 

Anyway, I'd be happy to start the season with either of them upfront, delighted with both, am expecting neither.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

There's obviously always a chance that this is just a purple patch Cole is going through BUT... if it isn't I think you could make an argument that on the last 6 month's form he's actually a better footballer than Moult.

I adore Moult and he has everything I'd want in a Motherwell centre forward but I'd say Devante is probably a better all round player in terms of technique and physicality. Moult has the edge when it comes to his rapport with the fans and a ridiculous knack for scoring in big games but I reckon their goal to game ratios will be fairly similar when playing as the focal point of our attack. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

:lol: Moult was a fantastic penalty box striker but, from my recollection at least, wasn't much use outside of the box unless he was lobbing someone.

He didn't actually score it but Cole's move at Easter Road a few weeks ago where he got the ball on the edge of the box, spun past two defenders and fashioned a shooting chance is something I can't really imagine Moult doing.

Almost inevitable that Aberdeen will move for Devante Cole. They need strikers so makes it almost inevitable. 

As much as we will move for the next best Livi player. Rinse and Repeat.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: Moult was a fantastic penalty box striker but, from my recollection at least, wasn't much use outside of the box unless he was lobbing someone.

He didn't actually score it but Cole's move at Easter Road a few weeks ago where he got the ball on the edge of the box, spun past two defenders and fashioned a shooting chance is something I can't really imagine Moult doing.

Ha! The thing is, I pretty much agree with you. It just feels so controversial to actually say it.

When you think back to Moult playing as a central striker on his own (in roughly the same role Decanter is being asked to), he just didn't look comfortable doing it. Which I guess is kind of why Moult worked so well with McDonald or Bad News Bowman as part of a pair.

Edited by capt_oats

Horses for courses innit. If we were wanting a poaching penalty box striker Moult gets in all day long. If we want someone who can fashion a chance on his own, Decanter is the man. 

Moult & Bad News Bowman's arguably my favourite strike partnership we've ever had. Bowman sent out to batter the living f**k out of any defender in elbowing distance while Moult steps over the broken bits of them to poke in the goals. 

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Almost inevitable that Aberdeen will move for Devante Cole. They need strikers so makes it almost inevitable. 

As much as we will move for the next best Livi player. Rinse and Repeat.

Reckon we might end up letting Forrest leave, so could be :D We've signed Cristian Montano for LW and Forrest has been dropped second half of the season

Nah I’m all aboard the bring back Moult bus. After having a year of meh, apathy, and a squad lacking an *identity* or *character* I suggest full on nostalgia. Moult and Cole can lead the line in a 352 thunderdome reincarnation. Break the bank and get Kipre and Aldred back and even see if Carl McHugh fancies a couple more concussions. The last few years of trying “forwards” as wingers has soured the 433 and the heady days of watching gboly skin folk for fun before rocketing shots into the stands. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do I hear Motherwell have an out of contract striker ready to make the step to overpaid and mediocre? Tell us more. 

Yup, that’s right. Although technically Jake Hastie is a Rangers player. Best ask them. 

2 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Yup, that’s right. Although technically Jake Hastie is a Rangers player. Best ask them. 

He’s already made that step then. 

Nah in all seriousness we should be looking at Cole as he’s impressed me recently, albeit I haven’t seen enough of him to know just how good he is. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s already made that step then. 

Nah in all seriousness we should be looking at Cole as he’s impressed me recently, albeit I haven’t seen enough of him to know just how good he is. 

The main point with Cole, as @YassinMoutaouakil alluded to is that there's a fair chance that this is just a purple patch of goalscoring form.

When you look at his career history he has one season where he hit double figures:

1254145467_ScreenShot2021-05-13at18_58_45.thumb.png.e9e5b1122bebbfc03b01d196ab6986e5.png

Even this season he'd only scored one goal before Alexander pitched up. Since then he's on a run of 11 in 20.

He has a lot to his game and it only became apparent how much we missed him last season once he went back to Wigan and our front 3 stopped working anywhere near as well as it had but his goalscoring since January seems like an outlier. Either that or he's finally playing under a manager who's getting the best out him but there's no guarantee that gets replicated elsewhere.

Edited by capt_oats

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's rubbish mate. 
All that stuff about him being PotY, just banter.  He's always injured and when he isn't he's running backwards into our defenders.

And he pisses on people's cornflakes, so I'm told. 

Absolute garbage.  Stay very, very clear of him

(please)

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The main point with Cole, as @YassinMoutaouakil alluded to is that there's a fair chance that this is just a purple patch of goalscoring form.

When you look at his career history he has one season where he hit double figures:

1254145467_ScreenShot2021-05-13at18_58_45.thumb.png.e9e5b1122bebbfc03b01d196ab6986e5.png

Even this season he'd only scored one goal before Alexander pitched up. Since then he's on a run of 11 in 20.

He has a lot to his game and it only became apparent how much we missed him last season once he went back to Wigan and our front 3 stopped working anywhere near as well as it had but his goalscoring since January seems like an outlier. Either that or he's finally playing under a manager who's getting the best out him but there's no guarantee that gets replicated elsewhere.

So you’re telling me it would basically be nick blackman all over again. 

Nah I’m all aboard the bring back Moult bus. After having a year of meh, apathy, and a squad lacking an *identity* or *character* I suggest full on nostalgia. Moult and Cole can lead the line in a 352 thunderdome reincarnation. Break the bank and get Kipre and Aldred back and even see if Carl McHugh fancies a couple more concussions. The last few years of trying “forwards” as wingers has soured the 433 and the heady days of watching gboly skin folk for fun before rocketing shots into the stands. 
What are Lionel Ainsworth and Nadir Ciftci up to these days?

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I bet Andy Rose could come in and be exactly as good as he was last time.

That piece of red meat should have been tossed into Steelmen rather than here :)

15 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I guess you could also say that if Moult had played a good number of games for the club as a left winger before we decided to play him a striker, we'd probably view his early days very differently too.