Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just watched that video the club put out. 

Greetin!  Cannot wait to get back. An unbelievable gesture from the club, and brilliant initiatives to donate to for those who can and want to. 

9 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

I was curious of what the club would do after the pledges made last year.

An unbelievable gesture and I’m sure most fans will still happily donate what they can despite it being free of charge.

Since its just a donation link as well, any one can donate any amount to help provide season tickets. Maybe some lotto winner could pop in a few grand towards a a few family season tickets.

It's both a fantastic offer and a clever one (which is a good thing).

The biggest challenge for clubs will be "lost" supporters that are out of the habit - giving them a free season ticket is a smart investment in getting your core support actually back in the ground and getting the habit back.

Free season ticket >fucking massively> Laptop Fitba

I’ve fucking hated parts of this season, but after watching that video and then reading the offer of free tickets and donation options all is forgiven! I was just about greetin’. Cannot wait to get back to Fir Park.

Fantastic move from the club.

My favourite part is the automatic hand out of season tickets. No one feeling bad about claiming a free one this season after paying last and not being able to afford it again this year etc. 

Well played Motherwell. 

13 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’ve fucking hated parts of this season, but after watching that video and then reading the offer of free tickets and donation options all is forgiven! I was just about greetin’. Cannot wait to get back to Fir Park.

That Hype Video = Instant Stauner

Superb stuff from the club. No way anyone could have forseen how the last year or so would pan out, and had my doubts about their financial ability to honour the pledges they made when ST's were sold. Hats off to them though, and they've obviously taken on board the fans suggestions re. donations/assistance for those who have been affected and whose circumstances may have changed during the pandemic. 

Great reading of the room for which Mr Burrows et al deserve massive credit. It's things like this that, for me, proves fan ownership is a great thing. I doubt many other chairmen etc with a purely financial outlook would come up with anything similar. The 'We exist to improve people's lives' type taglines can be a bit cringey, but the work the club and the community trust do is simply first class. This initiative is a huge example of that. 

They can certainly count me in for ticket cost donation. Can't wait to get back now. 

13 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

well done motherwell...lets hope other clubs take note on how to treat their fans.

I can't see many teams being able to offer anything as impressive as this offer.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out financially, as dull as that is. Must be a massive chunk of income lost this Summer, so presumably the shortfall is being made up somewhere (still due a payment for Turnbull maybe?).

Saints will absolutely not follow suit, but at least they never promised anything and it clear. Think United offered free games in 21/22 for every match missed? Interesting to see how they approach it.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

I can't see many teams being able to offer anything as impressive as this offer.

agreed...but clubs should be offering something to fans who bought tickets this season with little or no hope of ever getting into the ground....sure we all watched on the internet but by god some of the pictures were bordering on unwatchable.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out financially, as dull as that is. Must be a massive chunk of income lost this Summer, so presumably the shortfall is being made up somewhere (still due a payment for Turnbull maybe?).
Saints will absolutely not follow suit, but at least they never promised anything and it clear. Think United offered free games in 21/22 for every match missed? Interesting to see how they approach it.

I’d imagine we still have a chunk of the Turnbull money left over along with the £500k we’ll get as Campbells development fee this summer, and some compensation cash from Gallagher’s involvement in the Euro’s squad (I think someone mentioned it was about £80k assuming we get papped out in the group stage).

If we were struggling for cash I doubt we’d have spent this season installing a new PA system and new seating along with other stadium improvements.

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

Fantastic move from the club.

My favourite part is the automatic hand out of season tickets. No one feeling bad about claiming a free one this season after paying last and not being able to afford it again this year etc. 

Well played Motherwell. 

Incredible gesture from motherwell to be honest.. Fair play 👏👏👏

Also have a greenie for that wonderful username.. Best band on planet earth. 

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

17 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’d imagine we still have a chunk of the Turnbull money left over along with the £500k we’ll get as Campbells development fee this summer, and some compensation cash from Gallagher’s involvement in the Euro’s squad (I think someone mentioned it was about £80k assuming we get papped out in the group stage).

If we were struggling for cash I doubt we’d have spent this season installing a new PA system and new seating along with other stadium improvements.

You can work it out (roughly).

To be equally dull, when we were talking about ST refunds last season this is what our chairman Jim McMahon said:

“Should every season ticket holder claim a refund, the cost to the club will be north of £130,000."

Link

The basis of that was "The amount refunded will be 4/19ths of the total price you paid for your season ticket"

£130,000/4*19 = £617,500. That should give a rough idea of the shortfall assuming approx. the same number of season tickets were sold (which I believe was the case).

Our profit posted for season ended May 20 was £346k. Going from our AGM this year our books are in a good place following the Turnbull sale and our business interruption insurance (both these are mentioned in last year's accounts Section 30. Events after the reporting date).

We were also applying for the Scottish Government loan that was offered. I'd assume that's been granted as well.

As @dezz says it's doubtful we'd have been doing stadium upgrades if this was going to be probematic financially. To echo @Swello it's probably worth it in terms of goodwill from the fanbase and it goes some way to overcoming the issues caused by fans having fallen out of the habit of going to games on a Saturday. When you consider the financial risk of a drop in ST sales and the work you'd put in to try and get those punters back, this makes sense.

Also, as cliché as it is....even the good PR we're getting out of this has a value. You can't buy PR like this.

Edited by capt_oats