Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

As much as he has been a terrible captain, I did agree with the decision last summer to make him captain, mainly due to the absence of leaders elsewhere in the squad at that time. Was a captain being decided now, hypothetically I would definitely go for O'Donnell, Kelly or Watt before him.

However, given I've agreed with the three appointments post-Las and they've all not worked out for one reason or another (McHugh due to the burden, Hartley not being in the team and Gallagher having a big mouth), maybe it is best the next one is an appointment who I don't agree with.

Ideally I'd like us to sign a 30 year old centre half in the summer, who has played 400 league games, who is a consumate pro but at the same time not afraid to put the boot in where required and make him captain, but I may be asking for slightly too much there.

Ironically with Hartley out the team Tait has probably been our best post-Las captain...(any excuse to post this photo tbh).

image.jpg?crop=982:524,smart&width=990

Has Campbell ever officially captained the side? I feel like he took the armband at half time in the 5-1 loss against St Johnstone after McHugh was subbed off but can't remember him ever having the captaincy to start.

Fwiw, I've agreed with the captain appointments post-Las as well McHugh, Hartley and Gallagher all seemed like really obvious choices for the role.

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, good for him but is the source for that not a fantasist ITK account who had Aberdeen signing GMS in January?

Yeah, him. He pretty much nailed the on/off Stevie May saga to us, and stuff he reported back then (Aberdeen wanting a loan, May saying he'd only leave permanently, May agreeing to less money to force through the move) has since been confirmed elsewhere.

Think he's relatively legit (or was), even if half the time he's just stealing Scott Burns articles.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

BBC now reporting that Maurice Ross made a racially insensitive comment to one of the players at Notts County.

My £10 on him being the next Clyde manager gets better with every passing week, tbh.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, him. He pretty much nailed the on/off Stevie May saga to us, and stuff he reported back then (Aberdeen wanting a loan, May saying he'd only leave permanently, May agreeing to less money to force through the move) has since been confirmed elsewhere.

Think he's relatively legit (or was), even if half the time he's just stealing Scott Burns articles.

I'll take Scott Burns' word for it and Scott Burns' word only. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to say, full agreement that those curry awards are a fucking sham and presumably paying a fee gets you nominated if Taza is on it. Long live the balaka. 

Speaking of...

image.thumb.png.9cd00a9446c9045b52611135d5227339.png
image.png.7e8a1fbbd46d9a61f25e6f6df5415a06.png
image.thumb.png.66712478e289e1054efff3f043eb6f9c.png

2 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

We should definitely be seeking the opinion of everyone with a £50 stake in the club whenever we pay a fairly standard fee to be considered for an industry award.

I get that but I am more getting at the club and media team bumming themselves up these things when they pay to enter.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I get that but I am more getting at the club and media team bumming themselves up these things when they pay to enter.

Consider it as a fairly cheap 'performance related staff bonus' and it makes sense. 

If the team does a good job you send them on a jolly, it's what all sorts of businesses do all the time, because scrimping on a few quid is the easiest way to kill morale and lose the productivity (and possibly the staff!)

Now it appears to be a given that Dec is joining Aberdeen. Simple Q - does he feature in our last 2 league games ?

He is our best defender and I am sure I read one of the rumours that by removing extension contract we would get any money due from his appearance at the Euros. Not corroborated anywhere I might add but by not playing him would it endanger his chances ? I don’t think so. I think he would make the squad at this stage regardless. 

I have had his back in most of my posts, but I would leave him out and play players that will be here next season. I doubt GA will do that. But I would. 

Edit to add - best central defender. 

Edited by welldaft

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Has Campbell ever officially captained the side? 

Whether he has or not - he should be given the Armband on the last day of the season - because I'm a sentimental old b*****d.

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Now it appears to be a given that Dec is joining Aberdeen. Simple Q - does he feature in our last 2 league games ?

He is our best defender and I am sure I read one of the rumours that by removing extension contract we would get any money due from his appearance at the Euros. Not corroborated anywhere I might add but by not playing him would it endanger his chances ? I don’t think so. I think he would make the squad at this stage regardless. 

I have had his back in most of my posts, but I would leave him out and play players that will be here next season. I doubt GA will do that. But I would. 

For all I've been snarky about him the past while, I'd just play him. It is what it is and since he's picked his toys back up he's been fine.

We've a settled enough back 4 and unless we absolutely have to I don't really see much point changing it - we already know what Bevis can and can't do, Magloire is unlikely to be here next season and I don't think we'd be doing Devine any favours chucking him into the team for the LOLZ.

Absolutely back @Swello's suggestion of giving Campbell the armband for the last game of the season though.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I was previously advocating leaving him out once we were safe, but Saturday's victory propping us up into 7th makes me think that we play our best team for the last two games and try and finish as high as we can. 

I'd play him. We've got our "finishing above St Mirren for the last 3 decades" trophy to retain.