Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

54 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Yes but sadly for you administration under Boyle costs you 3000 points for financial irregularities.

Spending money you don’t have on better players to gain an unfair sporting advantage over opponents is cheating.

I think you will find we were docked zero points

The SPL stopped us from being relegated

And while we were still in admin we signed 2 of Partick Thistle's best players and saw them relegated the next season

I'm honestly buckled at the latest installment in the Mo Ross saga. Doubt the truth will ever come out but contriving to say something so beyond the pale that it gets you emptied as assistant manager after a month must take some going like.

Enjoyed this as well :lol:

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm honestly buckled at the latest installment in the Mo Ross saga. Doubt the truth will ever come out but contriving to say something so beyond the pale that it gets you emptied as assistant manager after a month must take some going like.

Enjoyed this as well :lol:

To get  completely binned after such a short space of time must mean it's pretty grim. Cannae imagine there would have been this uproar if he'd just told someone to f**k off.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twitter reckons Gallagher has signed a 3yr deal with Aberdeen.

I mean, good for him but is the source for that not a fantasist ITK account who had Aberdeen signing GMS in January?

Said it before but we got an excellent season from Gallagher, a mediocre one and a dismal captaincy. He's carried himself poorly, especially in comparison to Allan Campbell who'd have had a legitimate reason to feel unsettled given we kb'd 'substantial' cash on the table from an EFL Championship side for him in January yet we've not heard a peep of dissent from him.

Meanwhile, our club captain had been chucking his toys out the pram all over the place, having spats with fans online, briefing the press about his contract and shooting his shot for a dream move to Celtic. Fair enough if that's how he chose to play his hand but don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out Declan.

That said, credit where it's due. Since he picked his toys back up we've kept four clean sheets in six games (3 on the bounce in the league). Well done him.

Edited by capt_oats

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, good for him but is the source for that not a fantasist ITK account who had Aberdeen signing GMS in January?

Said it before but we got an excellent season from Gallagher, a mediocre one and a dismal captaincy. He's carried himself poorly, especially in comparison to Allan Campbell who'd have had a legitimate reason to feel unsettled given we kb'd 'substantial' cash on the table from an EFL Championship side for him in January yet we've not heard a peep of dissent from him.

Meanwhile, our club captain had been chucking his toys out the pram all over the place, having spats with fans online, briefing the press about his contract and shooting his shot for a dream move to Celtic. Fair enough if that's how he chose to play his hand but don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out Declan.

That said, credit where it's due. Since he picked his toys back up we've kept four clean sheets in six games (3 on the bounce in the league). Well done him.

I'm happy enough that we look to be signing him as we're very short at the back depth wise for a start but the 'gun to the head' stuff in January still makes me cringe.

It's obviously not his dream or ambition to play for Aberdeen so one good season and we could be hearing the same.

I will be delighted to see the back of him, beyond caring about even getting a penny for him.

The worst Motherwell captain I can ever remember and I include Paul Quinn, who's appointment as captain seemed to coincide with him taking up boxing on Saturday nights.

As far as I am concerned, Motherwell have done more for Declan Gallagher than Declan Gallagher has done for Motherwell. The arguments he had on facebook must clearly have struck a nerve and the gun to the head patter for me shows a realisation that his own form was threatening his big move and his place at the Euros.

Players with conviction in their own ability do their talking on the pitch, not on social media or in the press. 

The guys career has basically been on an uninterrupted, upward trajectory since he left the jail. From playing in League 1 to helping Scotland to the Euro’s in 3 years has been some going. 

However in some respects, his careers probably peaked. He’s now the wrong side of 30has missed the boat for his ‘big’ move down South(or Celtic) and lost his place in the Scotland team now as well. 

If he’s getting a wage hike and 3 year deal at his age it’s a no brainier and I don’t blame him. If he can stay fit and find anything like last seasons form, it’s a decent pick up for Aberdeen as well. 

He was outstanding for us last season but I think the fact most folk aren’t even arsed anymore about him leaving speaks volumes for the season he’s had on and off the pitch. 

54 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm happy enough that we look to be signing him as we're very short at the back depth wise for a start but the 'gun to the head' stuff in January still makes me cringe.

It's obviously not his dream or ambition to play for Aberdeen so one good season and we could be hearing the same.

Aye, for all I'm being snarky about him over the piece he's been a good signing for us and his over performing last season probably balances out his under performing this season (that's easier to say now we're safe). In terms of our recent centre backs though it's doubtful he's close to a Kipré in terms of ability or anywhere near as consistent as Tam Aldred and he's definitely nowhere near as beloved as either.

The worry I'd have were I an Aberdeen fan is the idea of the club paying a premium for a "Scotland International" to make a statement and getting the version we've had this season where at times he seems to have been committing to the Celtic bit and channelling his inner Shane Duffy.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Given, as others have alluded to, he doesn't seem to have the thickest skin when it comes to criticisms from fans it'll be interesting to see how he reacts at a club where expectations are going to be higher and chances are he'll be seen as a 'marquee' signing.

I mean, good luck to him, he's absolutely done us a turn and I don't think any other than the more deluded Motherwell fans expected him to be at the club next season one way or another but as the past couple of posts from @crazylegsjoe_mfc and @Casagolda say the fact that his departure is being met by a collective shrug says a lot about the season he's had.

Edited by capt_oats

Are the rumours of campbell and Gallagher arriving at Aberdeen to be trusted? 

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Campbell and Gallagher?

Gallagher the more rumoured to end up at Aberdeen, feel like a lot of his rep is based on a handful of appearances for Scotland. A lot of well fans don’t seem that bothered to lose him?  

Campbell I think is made up as Aberdeen already have a ridiculous amount of CM’s unless Ferguson is to go it would be the logical move. 

Edited by BrendanGalloway

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The worry I'd have were I an Aberdeen fan is the idea of the club paying a premium for a "Scotland International" to make a statement and getting the version we've had this season where at times he seems to have been committing to the Celtic bit and channelling his inner Shane Duffy.

Talking about making a statement by signing internationals, I remember listening to Sportsound on the way back from a game just after Craig Brown took over and he revealed in his post-match interview that we were close to signing someone who would be going to the World Cup in the summer.

It turned out to be Michael McGlinchey on loan, who was behind a guy who worked in a bank in the pecking order for New Zealand.

7 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Gallagher the more rumoured to end up at Aberdeen, feel like a lot of his rep is based on a handful of appearances for Scotland. A lot of well fans don’t seem that bothered to lose him?  

Campbell I think is made up as Aberdeen already have a ridiculous amount of CM’s unless Ferguson is to go it would be the logical move. 

Not sure how much but Aberdeen, or Hibs for that matter would have to shell out a few quid (not sure how much exactly) if they were to get Campbell, sure I seen somewhere the figure had put Hibs off pursuing anything.

Hopefully someone has the evidence to back this claim up.

i'm gonna guess it would take about 600k, give or take, based on very little knowledge of how these compensation fees are built up other than time at club x ££££

25 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Gallagher the more rumoured to end up at Aberdeen, few like a lot of his rep is based on a handful of appearances for Scotland. A lot of well fans don’t seem that bothered to lose him?  

I'd never say never but everything has been pointing to Campbell going to England (certainly the noises from our management). Millwall had cash on the table in January but we knocked it back and asked him to see out the season (which credit to him he has without any fuss). I don't think they're the only Championship club who have shown an interest either although they may have been the only club to have a concrete 'substantial' offer in.

I'm pretty sure there was an interview Campbell gave where he said he viewed the next stage of career as being in England so if that's the case and he has Championship clubs making him offers then it'd be a pretty dumb move to sign for Aberdeen - he doesn't need to make that sidestep and he's already seen his team mates sign for (at the time) Championship clubs; Sheffield United (Heneghan), Preston (Moult), Wigan (Kipré), Hull (Scott), Leeds (McKinstry), Norwich (McAlear) and although not English based Celtic were a clear step up in pay for Turnbull.

That's before you even get to the development fee we'd be due if he signed for Aberdeen.

Gallagher? Sure, why not? 

He's out of contract, his stock has fallen since last summer, he lives in Dundee and if he's not getting his dream move to Celtic then Aberdeen seems like the least hassle for him and probably the best paying assuming he can't be arsed relocating.

Edited by capt_oats

With Gallagher, I think the root of it was that he expected his move last summer, not this. He had improved as a player and was coming off a fantastic season and I don't blame him for wanting to cash in on that at his age- maybe a better agent would have been able to get something done?

In any case, I can't think of many players who have gone off a cliff in the way that he did at the start of the season compared to last - I guess the long covid layoff could also be a mitigating factor as well but when Robinson made increasingly explicit comments about "players not giving their all" or however he phrased it, I always got the feeling it was aimed at the bold Dec first and foremost (with a sprinkling of Polworth added in).

I'm not a massive subscriber to the "Captain myth" - but we have undoubtedly been lucky with the senior pro's we've had at the club when you think of Craigan, Lasley & Hammell that set the tone - and that has been massively missing this year and is something we need to get back to for next season as Gallagher has simply not performed that role. When your club captain does the crass "come and get me" pish in the red tops - it's the worst possible look and it's why I'm completely un-fussed about losing someone who is capable of being an excellent player at our level.

Getting a decent contract at Aberdeen would be a great move for him - so I'm sure he's not giving the tiniest of fucks that he's leaving under a bit of a cloud.

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, for all I'm being snarky about him over the piece he's been a good signing for us and his over performing last season probably balances out his under performing this season (that's easier to say now we're safe). In terms of our recent centre backs though it's doubtful he's close to a Kipré in terms of ability or anywhere near as consistent as Tam Aldred and he's definitely nowhere near as beloved as either.

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Given, as others have alluded to, he doesn't seem to have the thickest skin when it comes to criticisms from fans it'll be interesting to see how he reacts at a club where expectations are going to be higher and chances are he'll be seen as a 'marquee' signing.

I mean, good luck to him, he's absolutely done us a turn and I don't think any other than the more deluded Motherwell fans expected him to be at the club next season one way or another but as the past couple of posts from @crazylegsjoe_mfc and @Casagolda say the fact that his departure is being met by a collective shrug says a lot about the season he's had.

I think he's definitely overrated. A couple of fantastic performances for Scotland have seen his stock rise. Taylor and Hoban are probably off and I'm not a big fan of Considine playing CB in a 4 man defence so this is where we're at.