Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Agree with this.

The 1-0 Moult game there not long after Robinson took over was equally turgid but the entire away end was going mental and cheered the team off at full time.

Compare that to Wednesday night, where a lot of folk just seemed to be absolutely raging. Some of the criticism aimed at Alexander was wild, apparently he hasn’t turned our season around with enough style or panache for the liking of the footballing purists in our support. 

In normal times, fans would be singing his praises and chanting his name for the job he’s done since arriving. As it is, he seems to be the target of a lot of misplaced anger amongst our support. 

There's part of me that thinks Alexander would be more of a hero with the idiotic bunch of our support if he had helped us dramatically avoid relegation on the last game of the season, rather than picked up so many points to make the last three games a dull, non event.

Also, upon seeing that video of the game in 2017, I had a look and I was very surprised to see that McGhee had a better 16/17 (in both Win % and PPG) than Robinson did this season prior to departing. I guess part of that surprise would be down to the first things you remember about that season being the 7-2 to Aberdeen and 5-1 Dundee games and the fact that Robinson was an absolute master of a single goal defeat.

41 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, why not eh?

It never fails to amaze me how woefully shite the camera position is NDP - you get rain on the camera, or the sun shines directly into the lens. 

I've enjoyed the Inside Motherwell stuff this season, it's been the only element of our social media presence that hasn't made me heavily cringe.

However, why don't they use Jock's actual commentary from the games when doing the recap? Irons or Russell pretending to sound shocked recording a reaction to something that's already happened sounds quite so obviously fake. Especially when you know Irons is sitting next to Jock when it's actually happening.

15 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've enjoyed the Inside Motherwell stuff this season, it's been the only element of our social media presence that hasn't made me heavily cringe.

And on that note, just read this last night...!!!

Motherwell, Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund vie for top awards

21 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

And on that note, just read this last night...!!!

Motherwell, Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund vie for top awards

To be fair, I had forgotten about the signing unveiling photos. They were actually pretty good too. 

But on the wider point, us being up for awards does reinforce that our social media is targeted at people who don't support the club, rather than those who do. 

Yep - the Inside Motherwell stuff is great and a perfect use of social media - although it feels unusual these days in that it actually feels aimed at hardcore supporters (or at least is of interest to hard core supporters) because a lot of the geeky details you get from it as well as the length would make it less interesting to casual (with a small "c" :) ) supporters.  

The awards stuff is good for the media team ("relentlessly improving our CV's") - although the risk is that they might take it as vindication of their approach at the very time when there has been a bit of a backlash against it. 

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

although the risk is that they might take it as vindication of their approach at the very time when there has been a bit of a backlash against it. 

Yeah, Like someone like Lewis Hamilton getting an OBE

46 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

To be fair, I had forgotten about the signing unveiling photos. They were actually pretty good too. 

But on the wider point, us being up for awards does reinforce that our social media is targeted at people who don't support the club, rather than those who do. 

I think it's probably a bit unfair to say it's targeted at people who don't support the club but I definitely think that a lot of what we do with the socials is heavily influenced by wider trends and it's the sort of thing that's probably more likely recognised by those in the "industry" than a bunch of Motherwell da's in their 30s and 40s - that's the disconnect I guess.

Ultimately if you look around the socials from other clubs they've been adopting a pretty similar tone and posting tweets about player's birthdays etc definitely isn't exclusive to Motherwell - although special mention to Hibs whose Twitter seems to have gone completely off the rails since Kenny Millar left. The Homer 'Join Us' GIF/meme was pretty special in terms of misunderstanding the message and their TL has taken a turn towards a Murrant-y 'Twist and Pout' vibe. 

I completely acknowledge that I'm taking a liberty commenting about anyone posting GIFs but I'm not a football club with almost 100k followers and a #brand to maintain, I'm just an idiot who posts on an anonymous Scottish Football forum a couple of times a day.

I mean, fair play and credit to the media team for the nominations. It's a tough gig at the best of times and even more so in a season like this I'd imagine.

Can only echo the points about Inside Motherwell though, it's been consistently great through the season and has been a hugely worthwhile addition to the output from the club.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The Inside Motherwell stuff is great imo. Would happily see it being taken forward. 

Was lovely to see clips of that 2017/18 team again. Fucking loved them so much. Seeing Dean Cornelius in the crowd is a good laugh too. Would be lovely if he could come onto a game seeing that.

The bit with the Hauns at the end of the semi-final is probably the best thing that the media team have ever done IMO - it is absolutely superb and gives a view that broadcast TV simply wouldn't do (and so we'd never normally see it).

The mixture of young boys and jobbers that we had in that team were fucking delighted with all that - no attempt to be cool pro-footballers - their expressions are brilliant. The fact that Big Aldred and Herbalife dancing hasn't been made into a handy gif is a matter of the deepest regret :)

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

than a bunch of Motherwell da's in their 30s and 40s - that's the disconnect I guess.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I've fallen into the Motherwell da' age-bracket 😕  What a depressing start to a Thursday. Looking forward to my first wild take as a Motherwell Da' though. 

There were some properly great games that season.

I still can't believe we never quite got over the line after going 2-0 up against Rangers at Fir Park.

Picking up 1 point in 7 games in December properly cost us a high finish that season, although you could clearly attribute that drop in form to the fact that suddenly Carson, Hartley and Moult were missing from the hammer throwing XI that had started to become so successful.