Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Why did we give Lawless a 2 year deal?

It sounds like it was done before Robbo left.... And precisely why the board were right to refuse to back him further. His eye for a player could be rotten.

33 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Dunno about you lot but I'm delighted there's now no chance these p***ks can be celebrated as heroes.

Get this fucking season over with now.

See, to me...don't get me wrong, it'd have been nice to win the Cup but with the best will in the world it's kind of hard to imagine this group of players actually doing it. So it's difficult to get bent out of shape about it.

I mean it'll be annoying if St Johnstone body Rangers out tomorrow and the field is left pretty open with winnable opposition but right now going out (on pens) at the QF stage to Hibs having come back from 2-0 down feels like a fairly respectable way to go out the tournament.

We've not been humiliated by a Highland League side, we've not been 1-0 up against St Johnstone then gifted them 2 goals for them to win.

This season is done. Feet up, Soleros out.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

One challenge remains 

Very much this. Lets get 3 wins and finish 7th.

Strange feeling after that tonight. Almost rather we went out with a whimper than get our hopes up. Now I am more annoyed we lost on Pens 😡

I was fuming at our tactics and approach up to the 1st Hibs goal.  Hibs are a decent side but you would think we were playing Man City. It was clear we were trying to shitfest our way to a result. 

What do you know at 2-0 down we can actually play. We have not lost to Hibs in 90 minutes x 3 at Easter Rd.  Have a go. 

All told I would be gutted if we won the cup and we were not able to be there or celebrate en masse in Motherwell. Nice problem to have but it would feel somewhat sterile.  Not really a problem any more......

I'm still not fully getting the "not fussed we're out" chat. I didn't punch a hole in my TV after Porteous scored or anything but I'm still fairly gutted. I'd rather win a cup in literally any other season aye, but it's hardly a sure thing we will manage it again in the next 50 years or so.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm still not fully getting the "not fussed we're out" chat. I didn't punch a hole in my TV after Porteous scored or anything but I'm still fairly gutted. I'd rather win a cup in literally any other season aye, but it's hardly a sure thing we will manage it again in the next 50 years or so.

It is the old argument. Would you rather lose a game 6-0 or 1-0 in the 94th minute to a dodgy penalty or offside goal. 

Had we lost 2 or 3-0 we would still be hacked off but taking it to penalties after being 2-0 down with 10 mins to go. Just makes it more painful and for me at least a wee while longer to get over. 

Disappointed we missed 2 pens rather than the keeper saving any. But fair play to Hibs. They took all of them very well, especially the two right in the corner. 

wtf have you lot done to Lawless?! We'll take him back gladly [emoji3] He was our designated penalty taker for a bit and I'm not sure he missed one at all
More like what did you lot do to him? He was rotten for us got punted and he was rotten at thistle.

21 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye, I mean, I'll happily put my hands up and admit that being "not fussed we're out" is an oddball position from me but from my POV this season has been such a fucking grind that I'm honestly not fucked one way or another. There's a degree of disappointment obviously but I'm not anywhere near as annoyed at going out to Hibs at the QF stage this season, with this team as I was at a side that finished 3rd losing on pens to an absolute gang like St Mirren having been 4-1 down at half time.

I think, for me, the Cup this season has felt like a box ticking exercise that we were obliged to fulfil. In a season where relegation was legitimately on the table for a while as long as we didn't embarrass ourselves I was happy to let it ride and see what happened.

Edited by capt_oats