Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Do people not understand what ginger hair means? 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I was beginning to wonder about the definition of ginger myself. 

I was thinking I was goin mad

I see that's Jordan Roberts confirmed as being out for the remainder of the season. I thought it was overly optimistic when it was mentioned he was a late fitness test for the game on Wednesday. Shame his season has been cut short as he's been one of the (surprising) bright spots this season. 

Watt still missing for the cup' game too so looks like we'll be going to absolutely shitfest it tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how we've gone from having a load of guys who can 'play anywhere across the front 3' to having 2 fit strikers in the whole squad.

What are folks opinions on us trying to sign Roberts permanently? He obviously done a good job when he came in to the team, but I'm still not sure if that's a very limited sample size we've got to go out and sign him permanently.

As much as I don't think Lawless has merited being included in the starting eleven at the moment, that does worry me for his impact next season, if he can't get in the team in its current state.

I imagine the 5-3-2 will be what we are looking at again tomorrow.

If we assess everything that's out and there and available, and Jordan Roberts is the best name on that list, then I'm happy to sign him. 

I don't want us to be dishing out a 2-year deal simply because he impressed for a few games while on loan in an utterly shit team. 

What are folks opinions on us trying to sign Roberts permanently? He obviously done a good job when he came in to the team, but I'm still not sure if that's a very limited sample size we've got to go out and sign him permanently.
As much as I don't think Lawless has merited being included in the starting eleven at the moment, that does worry me for his impact next season, if he can't get in the team in its current state.
I'd take Roberts but maybe not as a starter. I think he'd be a definite upgrade on Seedorf as a squad player.

44 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If Hearts want money then no.  Hearts should actually see it as a new signing if they use him properly.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I see that's Jordan Roberts confirmed as being out for the remainder of the season. I thought it was overly optimistic when it was mentioned he was a late fitness test for the game on Wednesday. Shame his season has been cut short as he's been one of the (surprising) bright spots this season. 

Watt still missing for the cup' game too so looks like we'll be going to absolutely shitfest it tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how we've gone from having a load of guys who can 'play anywhere across the front 3' to having 2 fit strikers in the whole squad.

Tbh, this is why getting the safety side of things done and dusted feels as important and Motherwell Twitter greetin' about performances is kind of wildly missing the point to me. We're an injury to Kelly away from finishing the season with Chapman in goals.

I mean, a Cup Semi final would be nice but maybe I've just been worn down by Scottish Fitba' this year but it's absolutely not season-defining. If we go through great, if we don't then meh. Getting this season in the bin now is absolutely fine with me.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm kind of in the same place about Roberts.

It feels like all the January signings (Lawless aside) were short term fixes in what was a very limited market and it's been a small sample size with Roberts.

Committing to him off the back of a handful of good/decent games is a bit narrow in scope and @Desp nails it in the post above. Don't get me wrong he's been fine since he's come in and it's shite that he's injured but he's got another year to go on his deal with Hearts so unless he's getting cut loose by them I'd be hesitant for us to be chucking some cash at them for him.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't think I've ever watched Lawless and thought he was a good player. 

The idea of him being in the starting 11 next season doesn't bode well. Maybe I'm just missing someone though.

I wouldn't be rushing to sign Roberts either at the moment. 

To be fair Roberts has done well in his brief time with us. As been mentioned the bar was not set particularly high in that regard. 

It actually may work in our favour. Lets assume he played in every game till end of season. May only be 4. May be 6 games. But if he continued to play well and score / create goals Hearts May have thought we have a good un here. Now they will hopefully forget and let him join us for nada. On the basis that he will be a known quantity and less of a risk perhaps. 

He's the type of player that I would probably categorise into "good option" rather than "first pick". He can certainly be effective but I don't think he's the type of player who will have me at the edge of my seat and perhaps delusionaly that's what I'd quite like in our next winger.

With Lawless contracted for next season, if we were to sign him as another left-footed winger, then for me that would indicate that one of them would be first choice, which I wouldn't be too keen on. However, based on the sample size of both of them this season, I would rather have Roberts as the deputy to a new signing, rather than Lawless.