Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

There were a few seriously meaty challenges (although I'd maybe stop shy of the red cards) , and I'm all over that shit. Most definitely up for a return to chucking hammers next season. 

Well, I'm not. Hated all the "thunderdome" pish, can see that down the local playing fields anytime.

I'm not against us just being a shitfesting team in order to win games. And you could describe last night's performance as pragmatic because gifting 12 points to Accies over the season would be a fucking riddy.

Overall it'll be nice to see what we end up with next season. I suspect it'll be based around what we know in that we'll be slinging on 4 extra defenders in games we're leading.

I think any one of us would have bitten your hand off for a record of W7 D3 L5 and to be arithmetically free from relegation with three games to spare after we got pumped by Accies at New Year.

Obviously, there will be massive question marks over his signings, but I do wonder if he'd have signed so many players if he'd believed he could get what he has out of the players he has inherited. I'm not saying they are world beaters or even players I'd want in the starting XI next season, but he's got a lot more out of a good 7 or 8 players than Robinson did. The only exception I would probably say is Polworth, but I think we can all agree he deserved to get binned.

There's been different ways he has improved players too - a position tweak has got so much more out of Cole, changing the way the back four setup has got a lot more out of Lamie and Mugabi and it seems whatever off-field problems McGinley was facing earlier in the season seem to be more behind him.

Last night was an atrocious game of football, but one I'd give credit to him for winning when he had so little attacking threat and creativity available to him. It seems like the kind of game under McCall we'd have Sutton and McHugh up front and Francis Angol and Kerr on the wings and fail to register a chance.

As for the bringing on a defender for a striker change, had Robinson brought on Mugabi or McGinley at Tannadice, he might not have been out a job a few days later.

25 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Well, I'm not. Hated all the "thunderdome" pish, can see that down the local playing fields anytime.

You could argue that what we've seen this term could easily be bettered down the Globe too. 

After this season's hapless gang of heartless jobbers, I'm looking for a solid foundation of heart and resilience. We're never going to be the leagues most swashbuckling, free-flowing side so grit and determination is always going to be a huge part if we're to have any form of success. 

Nothing at all wrong with some hard and fair challenges, adds an edge to the game and gets the crowd involved. Things have gone too far the other way with the diving for soft penalties and looking to get opponents booked for the slightest contact. It's time for Alexander to take fitba back!! 

I'm not advocating the return of the Vinny Jones or Terry Hurlock types from the 80's or 90's, but if we can have a team of fighting grafters with maybe an Ainsworth or Ojamaa, supplying a Higdon or Moult, well, let the hard tackles fly. 

45 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Obviously, there will be massive question marks over his signings, but I do wonder if he'd have signed so many players if he'd believed he could get what he has out of the players he has inherited. I'm not saying they are world beaters or even players I'd want in the starting XI next season, but he's got a lot more out of a good 7 or 8 players than Robinson did. The only exception I would probably say is Polworth, but I think we can all agree he deserved to get binned.

My (slightly happy clapping) take on the January signings is very much that the window was a means to an end - ultimately as long as we stay up (which we have) it doesn't really matter if Eddie Nolan ever kicks a ball for us or not.

Squandering money? Perhaps but equally the loss we'd have been looking at had we went down would have had more of an impact than signing a bunch of jobbers on 6 month deals to see us through to the end of the season in the hope one or two might come good. I'd imagine that Div Turnbull has paid for a fair bit of this season but going back to the AGM I'm pretty sure the summary was that this year's books would be fine.

To me, the January window this year was an extreme lucky dip given the Covid situation, Robinson having already pretty much maxed the squad out then bailing and Alexander arriving a week after it opened. His line when he arrived was that he thought we had a decent enough squad and it kind of feels like his position was that he wasn't likely to be able to bring in players who were better than he had in the first XI.

What this summer looks like is a different question of course. I see we've been linked with Shayne Lavery now.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

having read comments from their fans chucking on a defender to try to see out a lead seems to be a go-to move for him.

That's certainly what he's been doing since he came here. It's ripping my knittin' to be honest with you but he's got a near 50% win ratio. 

Who am I to argue?

This Shayne Lavery lad... he looks a bit... a bit of a Ginger.

And I'm not Ginger-ist, honest!  Some of of my best friends are Ginger!*
I'm racking my brains to think of Gingers in our current or historic teams tbh, but obv lockdown may have melted my brain cells.   (Of course there is Liam Donnelly's beard, but his hair ... not so much?).  Do we have a pro or anti Ginger policy in place?

* May be a slight untruth.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Edited to reduce stupidity

18 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

This Shayne Lavery lad... he looks a bit... a bit of a Ginger.

And I'm not Ginger-ist, honest!  Some of of my best friends are Ginger!*
I'm racking my brains to think of Gingers in our current or historic teams tbh, but obv lockdown may have melted my brain cells.   (Of course there is Declan Donnelly's beard, but his hair ... not so much?).  Do we have a pro or anti Ginger policy in place?

* May be a slight untruth.

s-l400.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

49 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Shea Gordon, Stephen Pearson, Jake Taylor, Craig Samson off the top of my head.

I'll leave you to make up your own mind.

I'll take play off games Stephen Pearson but not washed up after another stint in India Pearson. 

Danny Johnson can f**k off as well, though.