Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I've said it before but if I was a middling SPFL football player I would absolutely be touting my services for a gig overseas somewhere. Get a decent wage while having a stay somewhere nice in Europe? Yes please. 

America seems the most obvious example.

Get paid shedloads, potentially move to an incredible city, and compete against jobbers most weeks.

What's not to like?

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Absolutely. 

Unless you're doing it as a shitehawk Chris Cadden move so f**k that guy. 

Unresolved questions of our time

1. how exactly was the Cadden compensation situation resolved, seems to involve Hibs

2. Why can Alexander get red and yellow cards in successive weeks and suffer no punishment?

3. Eddie Nolan 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

America seems the most obvious example.

Get paid shedloads, potentially move to an incredible city, and compete against jobbers most weeks.

What's not to like?

Always the chance you'll get shot while you're just minding your own business, of course.

5 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Always the chance you'll get shot while you're just minding your own business, of course.

Did you not watch the episode of 24 hours in police custody few weeks back?

Polish lad got shot coming out his local shop. Luton is a warzone. 

9 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

They publish the figures of MLS salaries and I'm sure someone posted them somewhere and it showed that Cadden was on a very modest wage in the MLS, similar to what he'd have been on here.

That was me...it was very weird.

He was on $56,250 which converted at the moment is roughly £40k.

807318473_ScreenShot2021-04-20at10_29_01.png.8b0b9e0db10180ed3f8524f50c5d102c.png

Link

For comparison Andy Rose was on $192,500 (£137k) - Link.

Spoiler

693153409_ScreenShot2021-04-20at10_33_48.png.76147d4835dd344ebd1d324fc8398f07.png

Edited by capt_oats

Yeah, it is very weird. 

You could argue that the whole uproar surrounding his move wasn't really worth two starts in the MLS on less money than he'd have been on at Fir Park. 

He'll probably see it is a very drawn out and complicated means to an end now he's ended up at Hibs without them needing to pay a fee, right enough.

42 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Yeah, it is very weird. 

You could argue that the whole uproar surrounding his move wasn't really worth two starts in the MLS on less money than he'd have been on at Fir Park. 

He'll probably see it is a very drawn out and complicated means to an end now he's ended up at Hibs without them needing to pay a fee, right enough.

Aye, I don't know how MLS salary caps treat bonuses or signing on fees - so who knows maybe over the piece it was worth his while.

Then again maybe he just really wanted to make sure we didn't get our development money if he thought we were pricing Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or the like out the market by seeking the full value.

Alternatively, to give him his due, if Oxford were the only other side in for him there's a fair chance he saw MLS as a more appealing move than League 1 in England despite them apparently being willing to pay our development money.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
3 hours ago, 18May1991 said:
Luton is an absolute hole. 
That is all. 

Do you think there's a similar Luton forum saying Motherwell is a hole?

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Thread started by Mrs Polworth. 

I was born in Luton and it definitely is a bit of a hole (though, as always, there are some nice bits, out by the golf course for instance).  
Luckily for me my parents moved us to Harpenden shortly after, just six miles away, and Harpenden is proper old-school stockbroker-belt stuff.  There have been a good few famous rugby (Andy and Owen Farell) and football players (Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young, Lee Dixon, ) knocking around there.  (And historically John Motson, Stanley Kubrick and Eric Morecombe were residents)

I'm sure Mrs Polworth would find that very acceptable ;)

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I've said it before but if I was a middling SPFL football player I would absolutely be touting my services for a gig overseas somewhere. Get a decent wage while having a stay somewhere nice in Europe? Yes please. 

Cyprus is the goal. I love Cyprus and I was looking at the Pafos team on wiki on year and they had a few English jobbers and I thought "that is the life". 

image.png.073c2e6aae58166dbb111a1a4adb8fa1.png

look actually. Few English jobbers (I've heard of Puncheon) and Simo Valakari's son. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

1. how exactly was the Cadden compensation situation resolved, seems to involve Hibs

2. Why can Alexander get red and yellow cards in successive weeks and suffer no punishment?

3. Eddie Nolan 

1. I believe it was mentioned as a small sell on somewhere. I dunno though.

2.  #TB4 (was that the right abbreviation ?)

3. Dunno

2 hours ago, ropy said:

3. Eddie Nolan 

1. We'll see it in the end of year accounts when they come out.

2. We are the establishment.

3. Doesn't exist.

54 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

1. I believe it was mentioned as a small sell on somewhere. I dunno though.

Weirdly it was clarified in a Well Society mail-shot:

619533663_ScreenShot2021-04-20at12_23_43.png.477cd4313e5900f49f4a83c83b504f7e.png

Did Hibs pay a fee for Cadden or did Columbus just cut him loose? There seemed to be chat that the deal was held up because of the ongoing dispute we had with them.

Hmmm...

252740085_ScreenShot2021-04-20at12_35_47.png.f15c054e6bc2bd210d9bf9e06b60faa4.png

I mean, it doesn't matter a f**k as no one is paying money for Chris Cadden eh?

Edited by capt_oats

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Weirdly it was clarified in a Well Society mail-shot:

619533663_ScreenShot2021-04-20at12_23_43.png.477cd4313e5900f49f4a83c83b504f7e.png

Did Hibs pay a fee for Cadden or did Columbus just cut him loose? There seemed to be chat that the deal was held up because of the ongoing dispute we had with them.

Hmmm...

252740085_ScreenShot2021-04-20at12_35_47.png.f15c054e6bc2bd210d9bf9e06b60faa4.png

I mean, it doesn't matter a f**k as no one is paying money for Chris Cadden eh?

On going economic rights, does that mean we get a cut of the Columbus cut?  

3 hours ago, ropy said:

3. Eddie Nolan 

On 2

Did anyone actually see the refs dishing out any cards or pointing him to the stand because I honestly cant remember.

Maybe he just took himself out of the technical area on the advice of the Ref. I cant think of any other reason he hasn't been up in front of the beaks unless someonein the SFA  has thrown out the Refs report with that days Sun or Record.

58 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Motion to relocate the Curry tasting session to Harpenden?

Sadly the curry house where I had my first ever curry (CTM I'm sure, but which I found to be amazing none the less) is now a Mediterranean Bar & Grill.  
I don't know what the other ones in town are like (I moved away decades ago), they might all be shite :)

We owe it to Mrs Polworth to find out!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Goes without saying that I think Campbell is a smashing player but he's not that good that it justfies how ridiculously reliant we are on him for our midfield to function, and basically have been since he came into the team other than the times he was playing alongside Turnbull.

I'm not sure what the plan is with O'Hara, Crawford, Maguire and Donnelly but I think a central midfielder will probably be our most important signing in summer.