Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Clearly that doesn't necessarily mean we're playing well but it makes some of the oddball stuff in the 'Graham Alexander' thread look a bit missing the point.

I tend to steer clear, has an element there taken against him (already)?

I think Alexander has done a top notch job given some of the players he's had to contend with, and while he's occasionally made some odd choices in team selection and subs, generally speaking I think he's made the best of what he's got.  He also comes across as honest and committed during the interviews.

There a gazillion people I'd punt from the club before I got to him.

Also... those stats make the quarter final look like a real toss-up between the teams.    At least all the players should be able to muster some motivation for a cup game against a 'big' club

I've been pretty alright giving Alexander a pass on this season. He inherited an absolute power of shite in this squad so frankly avoiding relegation is all I was wanting from him. 

It's definitely telling that the team is mostly the same as Robinson yet we've had such an upturn in form. There's definitely a massive amount of it is down to players not being arsed/wanting away ASAP. 

Overall I think it's been a good appointment. He's riled the Govan hordes on a fishing trip, been a bit unhinged and got us to safety. Now if he can put together his own squad of arseholes to shithouse the entire season next year I'll be quite happy. 

Alexander had one job this season. Keep us up. He's pretty much done that (hopefully confirmed after Wednesday). Other than that, any judgement should be on hold until next season when he can put on his own stamp on things and get the vast majority of these charlatans to f**k. 

I understand some are concerned at seeing him giving the likes of Mugabi & Crawford an extra year. I get that, but as I've said previously we might see one or two being kept for another year due the circumstances in the world just now. As long as these guys are there to supplement the squad, I don't have any massive issues despite not rating either player mentioned. 

However, it we get into August and we have a central defensive partnership of Mugabi & Lamie, along with a midfield three of O'Hara, Crawford and Donnelly, serious questions of the managers' judgement will need to be asked. 

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I tend to steer clear, has an element there taken against him (already)?

I think Alexander has done a top notch job given some of the players he's had to contend with, and while he's occasionally made some odd choices in team selection and subs, generally speaking I think he's made the best of what he's got.  He also comes across as honest and committed during the interviews.

There a gazillion people I'd punt from the club before I got to him.

Also... those stats make the quarter final look like a real toss-up between the teams.    At least all the players should be able to muster some motivation for a cup game against a 'big' club

It definitely feels like there's an element of frustration/suspicion for some but really there are just quite a few weird takes eg: one boy comparing him to Baraclough (although the same guy seems to think we played a midfield 4 last season and can't understand why we've ditched it - and someone called him out on the Baraclough thing anyway). Others are getting really bent out of shape because Robbie Crawford and Bevis have been given new one year deals.

LIke, for me there are legitimate questions in terms of how he sees things going forward, what the Academy policy is etc but that's broad stuff that really isn't a priority when he's been parachuted into a relegation scenario (in the middle of a pandemic) and judging his signings in January (as some are over there) when he was literally just in the door...is just absolutely fucking wild.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't mind Mugabi getting another year. Is he a ball playing centre back? Absolutely not. Is he a serviceable centre back when asked to just heider things away to f**k? Aye.

Crawford is probably fine for back up but I do not want to see him be our go to holding midfielder. He's alright at tackling folk but he's total dugmeat in possession.

Wonder if people are finding it hard to Warm to Alexander due to not being at the games, that must be a thing, lot said for winning a big game and applauding the manager at the end. 

fwiw, I think he has done well, also a fan of the play well, play next week approach. 

one thing I can't wait to see the back of is a midfield three consisting of Campbell, Maguire and Crawford. A midfield with three of the exact same players.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Writing this before Accies beat us (again) but I found myself drawn into actually reading some of the wild takes and DOOM on Steelmen last night rather than skimming and having a wee laugh as I usually do when I dip in there but genuinely surprised myself when I clocked our results/form over the past while; 

We've only lost 1 of our last 7 (in all competitions) and 1 of our last 5 in the league - it doesn't feel like it eh?

Turns out we're 5th in the form table over the past 6, 10 and 12 matches...who knew?!

387794391_ScreenShot2021-04-19at10_23_06.png.298a0670125e41f4021264d0d715796e.png

Clearly that doesn't necessarily mean we're playing well but it makes some of the oddball stuff in the 'Graham Alexander' thread look a bit missing the point.

Main takeaway from this is that we don't really have anything to fear from Hibs.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Writing this before Accies beat us (again) but I found myself drawn into actually reading some of the wild takes and DOOM on Steelmen last night rather than skimming and having a wee laugh as I usually do when I dip in there but genuinely surprised myself when I clocked our results/form over the past while; 

We've only lost 1 of our last 7 (in all competitions) and 1 of our last 5 in the league - it doesn't feel like it eh?

Turns out we're 5th in the form table over the past 6, 10 and 12 matches...who knew?!

387794391_ScreenShot2021-04-19at10_23_06.png.298a0670125e41f4021264d0d715796e.png

I mentioned this a couple weeks back, but if Well had done anything against Hamilton instead of being complete ass in those three matches it would have gone into the final match with a shot at top 6. Strange how two matches can basically change the look of the entire season.

2 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I mentioned this a couple weeks back, but if Well had done anything against Hamilton instead of being complete ass in those three matches it would have gone into the final match with a shot at top 6. Strange how two matches can basically change the look of the entire season.

We are literally responsible for a third of all of Accies points this season. Every time we play them we are absolutely and utterly shite. 

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

We are literally responsible for a third of all of Accies points this season. Every time we play them we are absolutely and utterly shite. 

I think the Chapman match could be something that's remembered for years. That was just horrific goalkeeping that is still mind-boggling could actually happen in a professional match.

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We have nothing to lose, use it as a trial match, get all the young ones on and anyone else that needs ‘minutes’.  What is the worst that can happen, concede 4?

Just now, AmericanFan said:

I think the Chapman match could be something that's remembered for years. That was just horrific goalkeeping that is still mind-boggling could actually happen in a professional match.

Fair play to him because Gunnar Neilsen's now moved to the third worst keeper I've ever seen at Motherwell. 

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

My post above does not stretch to a return for Chapman

The Accies games sum up our season and this team as a whole. With no disrespect to Accies, most teams in the league are expected to beat them. Its fine for pundits, fans etc. to think like that but becomes a serious problem when players adopt the same attitude.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in games where nothing has been expected of us we've generally given a good account of ourselves. In games against Accies, the 4-1 v Killie and the cup game against Morton we've obviously just expected to turn up and turned in some shocking performances as a result.

25 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Wednesday night will be when we finally take them to the woodshed.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Aye, that's why it feels a bit weird to see people getting bent out of shape over on the other forum at the moment and talking about this as "THE WORST MOTHERWELL SIDE I CAN REMEMBER IN 30 YEARS!!!".

One of the most dislikable...sure. I'd 100% agree on one of the most underperforming but the worst in 30 years...hmmmmm.

You've got folk giving it "wE sHouLd bE cOmpETinG fOr tOp 6!!!!" - going into Game 33 we were 4 points off St Mirren in 6th. We've given Accies 9 (NINE) points this season - even if we'd held out for the 1-0s at Tannadice and whatever St Mirren's ground is these days would have put us legitimately in the Top 6 conversation.

The fact is that as mediocre a season as we've had the difference between where folk seem to be claiming we should be (challenging for Top 6) and where we were is really down to a handful of points/games.

That's not to say we've had a good season (that would be a delusional claim) but it kind of highlights the sort of fine margins you're looking at - especially as we were 11th, joint bottom on points when Alexander got the job.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

The Accies games sum up our season and this team as a whole. With no disrespect to Accies, most teams in the league are expected to beat them. Its fine for pundits, fans etc. to think like that but becomes a serious problem when players adopt the same attitude.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in games where nothing has been expected of us we've generally given a good account of ourselves. In games against Accies, the 4-1 v Killie and the cup game against Morton we've obviously just expected to turn up and turned in some shocking performances as a result.

And this is why they're one of the most dislikable Motherwell teams of recent years.

It feels to me as if there was a hangover from finishing 3rd* last season where a group of players got far too ahead of themselves.

Edited by capt_oats