Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 hours ago, ropy said:

To clarify, I bought a telescopic hedge trimmer (I do have high hedges) I paid an extra £20 to get the one with the chainsaw option.

An update, I used the new freedoms to travel to South Lanarkshire to visit my father in law.  He has trees/He had trees.  Great fun.

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Can't really compare to Donnelly unless you have a stat for halfing opponents at the slightest chance of a break away.

Liam Donnelly would've had that Morton kick-off stopped before they'd rolled the ball.

In all seriousness, I think we have missed Donnelly massively this season. He’s a better ball winner and passer than O’Hara and far more robust than Crawford.

I actually think the biggest match in midfield role for O’Hara is Campbell’s position, but he’s obviously not as good as him. He’s not a holding midfielder anyway, that’s for sure.

14 hours ago, Well Well said:

I would have no problems with Gallagher leaving either. Good first season but he has reverted and last night was, as he has been in many games this season a shadow of his former self. Don't know if he is buying into his own hype being in the Scotland squad but he never gets out of first gear anymore. 

He did the same thing with us when he knew he was off. Downed tools and you could visibly see he was putting less effort into it. For all the good Dec does, he's fucking temperamental. 

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He did the same thing with us when he knew he was off. Downed tools and you could visibly see he was putting less effort into it. For all the good Dec does, he's fucking temperamental. 

It's been mentioned a few times but our form actually improved when he dropped out of the side with his "injury". Granted there were a couple of car crash results in there but there were car crash results with him in the team. The problem he has is he's already been bounced out the Scotland starting XI so if he actually wants to be part of the Euros squad then he can't down tools too much.

On 13/04/2021 at 12:08, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't have anything against Robinson as a player and am sure he'd be a decent enough fit for us, but at this point I'm just bored to death with recreating the 2017 Livi team. Please just sign someone else.

Saw this and thought of you...

853921953_ScreenShot2021-04-18at10_29_11.png.a34a7ce257798e01a51074fa41d33818.png

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, Josh Mullin would be a great Motherwell signing :D It's bound to happen now too

Ha! I took that tweet as being a bit about how we basically just sign Livi players now rather than it actually being serious.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ha! I took that tweet as being a bit about how we basically just sign Livi players now rather than it actually being serious.

He's out of contract and has a personal option to extend his deal by 2 years which it doesn't look like he'll take. A player that Hopkin said has 'the best delivery in Scotland'. Scored a cracker against Hibs and scored plenty belters at Ross County. I'm getting my money on it :D 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

He's out of contract and has a personal option to extend his deal by 2 years which it doesn't look like he'll take. A player that Hopkin said has 'the best delivery in Scotland'. Scored a cracker against Hibs and scored plenty belters at Ross County. I'm getting my money on it :D 

Pray for @YassinMoutaouakil if it happens.

Tbh, with Hastie going back to Ibrox and Seedorf's contract up I'd imagine we'll be in the market for a wide player. Also, I can see us still trying to recruit more in Scotland given that Kelly aside, it's been tough for the players we've brought up from England.

I could be miles out of course but I wouldn't be surprised to see us singing players domestically or bringing folk back up the road who either have family based up here or have played in this neck of the woods before.

We're going to be absolutely shit hot next season with the best right back and best delivery in Scotland.

I can't be fucked working it but we must have about a dozen combos of players who've played together more often at other teams than at Motherwell. SOD+ Lawless for Thistle, Cole+Long at Fleetwood, the entire West Lothian contingent etc. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're going to be absolutely shit hot next season with the best right back and best delivery in Scotland.

I can't be fucked working it but we must have about a dozen combos of players who've played together more often at other teams than at Motherwell. SOD+ Lawless for Thistle, Cole+Long at Fleetwood, the entire West Lothian contingent etc. 

Carroll played with SOD & Lawless at Thistle as well I think (although not necessarily more often than with us).

Scottish cup fixtures confirmed. 

Hibernian vs Motherwell - Saturday 24th April - 5pm kick off (Premier Sports).

I have seen a lot of Well fans have no idea how Premier Sports works so I have copied and pasted the explanation here. I'm still surprised They picked our game over the Aberdeen vs Dundee United fixture.

For those who haven't used Premier Sports previously, here is a short run down:

There is a Channel on Sky Boxes for Premier. In order to use it you have to sign up for q 6 month subscription at £10.99 per month.

Alternatively, there is a Streaming version (like the PPV sites) here: https://www.premierplayer.tv/. You can create an account and choose from the following options:

• Sign up for a rolling monthly contract at £12.99 per month which you can cancel at any time.

I would suggest the second option as this would be similar of the PPV rates but it is a shame that it is not on the BBC. This is a month pass so it should cover the Semi Finals (Mainly for the Hibs fans as I doubt we will get through). Make sure to cancel the subscription as otherwise they can charge you again for next month!

Here is the full fixture list for the Quarter finals.

Scottish Cup Quarter-Final Fixtures

Saturday 24 April

Hibernian v. Motherwell, kick-off 5pm (Live on Premier Sports)

Sunday, 25 April

Aberdeen v. Dundee United, kick-off 2.30pm (Live on BBC Scotland)
Rangers v. St Johnstone, kick-off 6.30pm (Live on Premier Sports)

Monday 26 April

Kilmarnock v. St. Mirren, kick-off 7.45pm (Live on BBC Scotland)

Writing this before Accies beat us (again) but I found myself drawn into actually reading some of the wild takes and DOOM on Steelmen last night rather than skimming and having a wee laugh as I usually do when I dip in there but genuinely surprised myself when I clocked our results/form over the past while; 

We've only lost 1 of our last 7 (in all competitions) and 1 of our last 5 in the league - it doesn't feel like it eh?

Turns out we're 5th in the form table over the past 6, 10 and 12 matches...who knew?!

387794391_ScreenShot2021-04-19at10_23_06.png.298a0670125e41f4021264d0d715796e.png

Clearly that doesn't necessarily mean we're playing well but it makes some of the oddball stuff in the 'Graham Alexander' thread look a bit missing the point.

That's exactly the reason that I'm totally fine with Alexander so far.

He's managed the squad he inherited very well. I don't think any of us dreams of watching our current midfield three, or bringing on a centre-half for a striker every time we have a one goal lead, but he's done well with the hand that was dealt to him.

It's just been frustrating that in most games, when we've got beaten, it's been a pumping. However, I would take the two wins then a pumping cycle, rather than the lots of possession for a single-goal defeat under Robinson. It's not like these players have all of a sudden became brilliant either, if they were capable of being lacklustre every single week earlier on in the season, you still have to compensate for them having the occasional off day amidst the improvement.

It goes without saying that his forays into the transfer market haven't been great (of his signings I'd probably say only Roberts has pass-marks so far), but it was obviously an exceptional window. We will see what the summer brings on that front. We've obviously wasted wages on Smith, Foley and Nolan. Magloire has probably done as much bad as good and I remain utterly unconvinced by Lawless.