Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Does anyone know how the payment works for players who play i the Euros? There's a general assumption that we've used the payment to us to help persuade O'Donnell to stay but what happens with out of contract players?

Does the payment go to the previous club or a new club if he's signed for one even if he's not kicked a ball for them? I'm talking in general principles but obviously this is likely to apply to Gallagher.

Does the player need to play or does just being in the squad mean a payment is made? We've obviously not been in this situation for a long time (if ever) - does Coyne playing for Ireland in the World Cup count?

Lots of questions here but I've no idea how it all works!

This was what I found back when Alan Mannus made it to the Euros 4 years ago.

Screenshot_20210416-074239_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0226069a0257b754424ac01a515c3317.jpg

I think, from memory as I didn't research it that much, when they announce the squad they hand in their form with players listed alongside their current club. This is how they decide what club gets the money.

So aye, you'll be getting money of Gallagher is called up. We received just over £100k when NI made the knockout rounds.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Scotland would be in the Euros no further than the 29th of June. (my guess at best)

When do we usually have players contracts run out?

when does Gallagher's jigged deal run out?

Deals usually end at the end of May or some time in June (depends on the player/contract they originally signed). At the moment all the squad seem to have May expiries according to the official site (either May 21/22/23).

So as it stands, publicly Gallagher's deal expires at the end of May (that hasn't changed on the website since January). I suppose it's a question of whether if there's been a re-jig of his contract to add an extra month or so is ever made public or not.

267083213_ScreenShot2021-04-16at08_27_30.thumb.png.d2c4a13563f4e75547cf0b8ee5799766.png

Edited by capt_oats

15 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Does anyone know how the payment works for players who play i the Euros? There's a general assumption that we've used the payment to us to help persuade O'Donnell to stay but what happens with out of contract players?

Does the payment go to the previous club or a new club if he's signed for one even if he's not kicked a ball for them? I'm talking in general principles but obviously this is likely to apply to Gallagher.

Does the player need to play or does just being in the squad mean a payment is made? We've obviously not been in this situation for a long time (if ever) - does Coyne playing for Ireland in the World Cup count?

Lots of questions here but I've no idea how it all works!

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This was what I found back when Alan Mannus made it to the Euros 4 years ago.

Screenshot_20210416-074239_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0226069a0257b754424ac01a515c3317.jpg

I think, from memory as I didn't research it that much, when they announce the squad they hand in their form with players listed alongside their current club. This is how they decide what club gets the money.

So aye, you'll be getting money of Gallagher is called up. We received just over £100k when NI made the knockout rounds.

This was actually sort of covered earlier in the whole "Declan Gallagher: Gun To His Head" saga.

The Record is hardly a solid or reliable source here and it's possible that the assumption was that the "automatic extension" would have kicked in but nevertheless it's something the club would have/are aware of if it's been fed to the papers:

"Declan Gallagher looks set to remain at Motherwell until the end of the season unless a significant bid is received in January.

The Fir Park side are set to land a lucrative windfall if the defender represents Scotland in the Euros this summer and it is likely to require a considerable six-figure bid for Motherwell to entertain offers in this month's transfer window.

Clubs receive payment from UEFA for their players’ participation in international tournaments and it’s believed that figure is in the region of £8,000 per day.

UEFA has an agreement with the European Club Association that results in a minimum €130m being split between clubs releasing players for this summer's Euros."

Link

"in the region of £8000 per day" would actually mount up if both Gallagher and SOD are away.

The question I suppose is whether Gallagher will be eligible as a Motherwell player if his contract expires May 31st (per official site) and Scotland's first game is 14th June (and eligibility only starts 14 days before the first game - per RG's post).

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

This was actually sort of covered earlier in the whole "Declan Gallagher: Gun To His Head" saga.

The Record is hardly a solid or reliable source here and it's possible that the assumption was that the "automatic extension" would have kicked in but nevertheless it's something the club would have/are aware of if it's been fed to the papers:

"in the region of £8000 per day" would actually mount up if both Gallagher and SOD are away.

The question I suppose is whether Gallagher will be eligible as a Motherwell player if his contract expires May 31st (per official site) and Scotland's first game is 14th June (and eligibility only starts 14 days before the first game - per RG's post).

The fact that everyone involved with the saga still seem to be best pals with each other suggests to me that some kind of deal has been hammered out to everyone's mutual benefit.

18 minutes ago, DeadStar said:
Harry Cochrane from Hearts being released, only 19, one for the incoming Summer BONANZA?

Curtis Main’s best moment in a Motherwell shirt was when he just about threw Cochrane over the East Stand roof. Wonder if @capt_oats has a gif in his extensive library?

Seems like Hearts have offered him a contract but he’s chosen to go elsewhere so the training compensation will put him out our price range. I don’t even know if he’s that good tbh.

Edited by dezz

40 minutes ago, ropy said:

Has he ever played for Livingston?

I wonder if the Livi players huddle together in the Almondvale dressing room, swapping stories about Fir Park that they've heard from Gallagher and Kelly etc, wistfully looking at flat rentals in North Lanarkshire and telling each other soon...

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wonder if the Livi players huddle together in the Almondvale dressing room, swapping stories about Fir Park that they've heard from Gallagher and Kelly etc, wistfully looking at flat rentals in North Lanarkshire and telling each other soon...

From today they can cross the county lines and seek out locations for their signing photo shoot. Has anyone done the Aquatec?

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Curtis Main’s best moment in a Motherwell shirt was when he just about threw Cochrane over the East Stand roof. Wonder if @capt_oats has a gif in his extensive library?

Seems like Hearts have offered him a contract but he’s chosen to go elsewhere so the training compensation will put him out our price range. I don’t even know if he’s that good tbh.

There was one around somewhere but I don't think it was me. I have a feeling that the bold Harry may have tweeted something out about it himself at the time.

As it goes I'm curious to see what sort of players we're targeting this summer since as I've mentioned I'm still not 100% that this window will be any easier for getting players up from England than it was last year.

Also, as has been alluded to on Steelmen, it feels like there's an argument for a change of direction and approach with recruitment. Not necessarily binning staff or anything more simply that Robinson's whole 'sign someone with one specific trait and we'll try and coach the other stuff' has been done to death and with no Reserves fitba at the moment I don't think we really have the means to develop those type of players in the same way (on top of the extreme wastage we see by running that sort of policy anyway).

Incidentally, speaking of Robinson, I burst out laughing when I remembered the pre-summer chat after we reduced the budget:

"The boys will be the back-up to the 15-16 first-team players that we will be able to run with."

Link

418563493_ScreenShot2021-04-16at15_07_37.png.99159c30a67c42d1297c59d3bec14bfe.png

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Forgot this wasn't Football Manager and we need to pay training compensation. 

Bin the idea. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There was one around somewhere but I don't think it was me. I have a feeling that the bold Harry may have tweeted something out about it himself at the time.

As it goes I'm curious to see what sort of players we're targeting this summer since as I've mentioned I'm still not 100% that this window will be any easier for getting players up from England than it was last year.

Also, as has been alluded to on Steelmen, it feels like there's an argument for a change of direction and approach with recruitment. Not necessarily binning staff or anything more simply that Robinson's whole 'sign someone with one specific trait and we'll try and coach the other stuff' has been done to death and with no Reserves fitba at the moment I don't think we really have the means to develop those type of players in the same way (on top of the extreme wastage we see by running that sort of policy anyway).

Incidentally, speaking of Robinson, I burst out laughing when I remembered the pre-summer chat after we reduced the budget:

418563493_ScreenShot2021-04-16at15_07_37.png.99159c30a67c42d1297c59d3bec14bfe.png

giphy.gif

Come on, we can beat Aberdeen Dunne, Devine and Nolan cameo last week of the season.

2 hours ago, DeadStar said:

Forgot this wasn't Football Manager and we need to pay training compensation. 

Bin the idea. 

Only if Hearts offered him an improved deal to stay and he's rejected it. They could increase his deal by £2 a week and it still counts and they're due it. If they didn't offer him a deal he's free to go wherever for nothing. 

FM has training compensation in it now as well I'm sure :D