Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Not having read his comments but taking your summary as accurate I'd file that in the Really?! box 

Much against my better judgement I hunted down his actual comments in the DR article, and I think you're being generous in not filing it in the What A c**t compartment.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Much against my better judgement I hunted down his actual comments in the DR article, and I think you're being generous in not filing it in the What A c**t compartment.

To be fair he said his two spells ‘have not been a disaster’.

I thought we resurrected his career after illness and my speculation was that we gave him a second chance when his big move to Celtic didn’t work out.

Did he keep us in the top league? I thought his second time with us was simply this Covid hit season?

Off on a tangent but that is what annoyed me about Craigie Brown leaving us. We made him relevant again after years in the wilderness and he jumped ship for a few shackles more.

It probably all worked out well for everyone but at the time there was a sour taste.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

In other news I see Alexander's been talking up Hastie and also doubling down on SOD being the best RB in Scotland. Good lad.

Click the link for the Hastie chat.

I know there's every chance that he saw going to a midfield diamond and a front two was tactically the way to beat St. Mirren on Saturday, but talking up Hastie does slightly beg the question is to why he just didn't make a like for like sub when Roberts went off injured.

He's certainly not a player I'd like us to waste any more time on beyond the summer.

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was thinking that Lawless would step forward, or wider as part of the front 3 with more solidity in the middle.

But next game is Morton, another perfect game for Hastie to run at folk.  I quite like the idea of getting a couple of years from him while Rangers pay for his new car.

Aye, suppose it depends what Alexander wants to do. 

In terms of the pace/power that Roberts provides, Hastie is probably the most like for like replacement. However Cole and Long through the middle seemed to work alright last week so he might be tempted to give that another shot. 

In that set up, you could have Lawless at the top of the diamond. I think he could be a decent enough signing for us but was not impressed with him as part of the midfield 3 on Saturday, he’s not the quickest and the game just seemed to pass him by.

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

To be fair he said his two spells ‘have not been a disaster’.

I think that's what's known as "damning with faint praise".

The headline is "Gartcairn's ambition praised by Eddie Wolecki Black, who slams Motherwell" (aye, newspapers, I know) and other choice quotes include: "“It wasn’t a wrench to leave", "lack of ambition", and "“Here, my ideas are being taken on board and it’s a better relationship." 

That "relationship" chat in particular just sounds bitter.

I'm not getting on or starting any Jake Hastie hype-train but I'm very much in the "there's a pler there" camp.

He scored regularly for Craigan's u20s side and was a very good left sided forward. His purple patch for the first team had him coming off the right and I think that has largely been the problem in so much as that's just what people have assumed he is but the more he's played there the more he's been found out and his confidence dunted.

Even at Rotherham on loan he made a decent start (3 goals in his first 3 games) before fading away. He has the tools though.

I'd even give him some leeway for the start of this season as he hadn't kicked a ball since 1st January 20 but there's no chance we were in a position to keep on giving him opportunities in the hope he came good. Equally though, it felt like we'd decided the only role he had was as an inverted winger rather than work out if there was another way to get a tune out him.

Said it before but it feels to me like he probably needs to take the Shankland route of dropping down a level (where he knows he's good enough based on his time at Alloa and Airdrie) and getting a proper season with consistent appearances. I mean, if Dom Thomas can do a turn in the Championship there's absolutely no reason Hastie can't get his career back on track at that level.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm getting bad vibes off of Lawless. He ticked so many boxes coming in- knows the club, proven in the league, at the peak of his career, ex-Livi- that conversely it makes me think it just won't work out for whatever reason. I don't think he'll be a disaster or anything but we'll maybe get a year out of him before he goes back to Firhill to see out his career in League One.

Interested to see the ongoing chat on SO about there being a change in recruitment/strategy in the offing.

I think it's fair to say that off the back of this season something had/has to give especially with a couple of fresh sets of eyes coming in with Alexander and Lucketti.

IIRC Burrows did a couple of post-season debriefs a couple of years ago. It'd be interesting to hear from both him, Alexander and Hammell along similar lines once the dust has settled this time round.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And as always, I'll tell you it's unfair to use "assists", rather than "xA/Shot assists", because judging how creative a player is based on how good their strike partner is, is unfair.

David Wotherspoon, for example, barely gets any assists because Chris Kane can't score anywhere other than from 3 yards out.

pick the right pass then

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Wolecki Black is quite the snake eh

I am sure he was a cuunt the first time anaw. That may have been info that was kept quiet but I am sure there was something.

51 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I sometimes felt sorry for David Turnbull. No wonder he took to pinging them in from 30 yards when the alternative was a through ball to Curtis Main or Conor fucking Sammon.

0_Eastenders-TV-programme.jpg

On 09/04/2021 at 21:02, Ludo*1 said:

Are they just normal seats or some sort of safe standing hybrid thing? I've been staring at them for a good couple of minutes and can't work it out. Do they not have backs? Are they incomplete? Confusing me far more than it should be.

Another view

903BC5F6-AADD-4534-A6D8-00DCB4B28DDC.png

I thought the Hastie training thing was aimed at other players too. Hiya Polly pal.

I’d probably take Hastie on a free if he was going to be a low earner but that’s unlikely. I agree with the comment about dropping down a league or 2 to come back. I also think there is a player in there.