Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Much as O'Donnell singing was rumoured, it's still very good news. He's not perfect but we'd really struggle to bring in someone as good without spending a lot more. Also helps to have some continuity of senior players.

There that.

And also, does this not mean we get phreeeee money when he's away at the Euros?

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There that.

And also, does this not mean we get phreeeee money when he's away at the Euros?

giphy.gif

Maybe he gets to keep that as part of his contract unless we've broke the bank on wage structure.

40 minutes ago, santheman said:

Maybe he gets to keep that as part of his contract unless we've broke the bank on wage structure.

I would imagine that would be part of the deal, to the benefit of both sides

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would imagine that would be part of the deal, to the benefit of both sides

We will probably never know. But I expect he will get to keep this money or a fair % in order to get him to sign. Would break down to an extra £500-£1000 per week (over 2 year contract) if the UEFA participation figures are to be believed. 

When all is said and done it would benefit both parties. Assuming he would be out of contract before the Euros so the club would not have been due any of this money in any case. This way we can use it to bolster his wages to a clearly acceptable level. 

Mind you if Steve Clarke watched him on Saturday he may not make the squad !!

Edited by welldaft

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I like that, stats that happened. No expected shite stats.

And as always, I'll tell you it's unfair to use "assists", rather than "xA/Shot assists", because judging how creative a player is based on how good their strike partner is, is unfair.

David Wotherspoon, for example, barely gets any assists because Chris Kane can't score anywhere other than from 3 yards out.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feel bad picking this apart cause it was obviously some effort from the guy putting it together, but he's overcredited Higdon in 2012/13. He's got him down for 26 non-penalty goals, he did score 26 but at least two (Celtic home and Inverness) were penalties, there may be more that I can't think of too.

Wolecki Black having a dig because Motherwell didn’t set up a full time team for the women.  I have no idea what the cost of this would have been but had no expectations that it would happen any time soon.

One for the future?

41 minutes ago, ropy said:

Wolecki Black having a dig because Motherwell didn’t set up a full time team for the women.  I have no idea what the cost of this would have been but had no expectations that it would happen any time soon.

One for the future?

Not having read his comments but taking your summary as accurate I'd file that in the same Really?! box as Robinson talking about his disappointment at the club not being able to get a new training complex off the ground...in the middle of a pandemic.

"I was desperate for a new training ground. I was desperate for infrastructure to improve, but there isn't a magic wand, without money that's very difficult to do.

"The chairman Jim McMahon and [chief executive] Alan Burrows are men I couldn't say anything but good things about.

"Allan and Jim were behind the idea but it didn't quite materialise and I felt I couldn't take the club to the next level."

In other news I see Alexander's been talking up Hastie and also doubling down on SOD being the best RB in Scotland. Good lad.

Click the link for the Hastie chat.

Meanwhile Alexander admits Stephen O’Donnell’s new Motherwell deal has come as an unexpected boost - because even he expected him to be on his way in the summer.

O’Donnell yesterday put pen to paper on his new two-year contract. Now the Fir Park boss hopes the Scotland international can help him persuade others to do likewise.

He said: “It is a big boost for me as the manager as it tells me we can attract really good players and internationals.

“He has seen what we are trying to do in the future here and he wants to be part of that.

“I think he is the best right back in Scotland and he has done well for his country.

“In January I thought that it was only a matter of time before he left the club.

“We wanted it to be in the summer. But the more I got to know him and he got to know us, we spoke about things.

“We got a positive response so we went with it and it is pleasing he is staying on. There are other good players we want to keep so we will move on to them next.

“All players want to be successful don’t they? They go where they think they can win.

“That’s why we are pleased Stephen has seen that. He had suitors in January and he would have had them again in the summer.

“He feels he can achieve his ambitions with club and country while being a Motherwell player and that tells its own story.

“If that attracts good players here then it makes it easier to talk to them about our ambitions and it’s a club players can achieve their ambitions too.”

Link

"There are other good players we want to keep so we will move on to them next."

Make it happen Burrows:

cc1c6616-e690-4508-8486-f4395fec94b7.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

If the club is anything like how most places work that need to build/improve things I would imagine they've got a list of stuff that they want to achieve. Then you start to sort it into priority of what's essential and what's desirable but can be further down the road. I would be shocked if having a full time womens team isn't on that list but, ultimately, is less of a priority than sorting out the east stand which has been in dire need of some work for years now. Essentially what @capt_oats said about building a training facility in the middle of a fucking pandemic only with a full time womens team. 

Also we're definitely signing Hastie eh? 

With Roberts presumably knackered and no sign of Watt coming back, I imagine Hastie must be in with a good chance of a start on Friday and potentially a wee run in the team thereafter. 

I think what Alexander’s basically saying is, if he wants a future at this level he better fucking take it. 

Thought it was interesting that Alexander did a wild thing the other day by playing Hastie on the right, and honestly I can barely remember him playing there.

I still think there's something there with him, tbh, and I hope he shows it.

Lashing money into a full-time women's team is mental as well. I'm fully supportive of the women's game and the SWPL, but I'm deeply sceptical of Rangers/Celtic piling money into the game as well. If they fall on harder times at some point, I'd bet my house on the first thing being hooked being the women's team. Then what?

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Lashing money into a full-time women's team is mental as well. I'm fully supportive of the women's game and the SWPL, but I'm deeply sceptical of Rangers/Celtic piling money into the game as well. If they fall on harder times at some point, I'd bet my house on the first thing being hooked being the women's team. Then what?

Very much so. If we're going to make the women's team full time as a box checking exercise I'd honestly rather we didn't do it at all. Like fair enough if we've seen the back of this pandemic and have got the first team facilities in order but if it's going to be on a shoestring budget right now then what's the point?

33 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

With Roberts presumably knackered and no sign of Watt coming back, I imagine Hastie must be in with a good chance of a start on Friday and potentially a wee run in the team thereafter. 

I think what Alexander’s basically saying is, if he wants a future at this level he better fucking take it. 

I was thinking that Lawless would step forward, or wider as part of the front 3 with more solidity in the middle.

But next game is Morton, another perfect game for Hastie to run at folk.  I quite like the idea of getting a couple of years from him while Rangers pay for his new car.