Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Big fan of the good lads at the SPFL including Shaughnessy getting bent out of shape by Long as an official highlight from Saturday. :lol:

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Begs the question, does Long get offered a new deal? Not necessarily does he accept it but do we offer him something given he's seen a bit more involvement under Alexander and popped up with a goal and couple of assists (but also missed a sitter at the weekend)?

Edited by capt_oats

There was chat on our thread we're after a keeper from this division who is "free to leave" their club this Summer.

Stretching chains a bit, but half wonder if you lot are close to Kelly with the idea Carson moves on for a fresh start elsewhere. He's got more chance of taking Clarks place than Kelly's place aswell. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There was chat on our thread we're after a keeper from this division who is "free to leave" their club this Summer.

Stretching chains a bit, but half wonder if you lot are close to Kelly with the idea Carson moves on for a fresh start elsewhere. He's got more chance of taking Clarks place than Kelly's place aswell. 

Fox is free to leave

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Big fan of the good lads at the SPFL including Shaughnessy getting bent out of shape by Long as an official highlight from Saturday. :lol:

giphy.gif

Hide contents

Begs the question, does Long get offered a new deal? Not necessarily does he accept it but do we offer him something given he's seen a bit more involvement under Alexander and popped up with a goal and couple of assists (but also missed a sitter at the weekend)?

Long is a weird one, if you take his almost 2 seasons at the club as evidence then it's pretty hard to make a convincing argument for retaining him. But... I just have something in the back of my mind suggesting there could be an absolutely cracking Motherwell player in there if somebody coaxes it out of him. 

I'm assuming Cole's away tbh, which sort of swings me towards keeping Long to avoid having to go into the new season with Watt+ an entirely new set of untested striking options.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Long is a weird one, if you take his almost 2 seasons at the club as evidence then it's pretty hard to make a convincing argument for retaining him. But... I just have something in the back of my mind suggesting there could be an absolutely cracking Motherwell player in there if somebody coaxes it out of him. 

I'm assuming Cole's away tbh, which sort of swings me towards keeping Long to avoid having to go into the new season with Watt+ an entirely new set of untested striking options.

I'm almost as torn as Christopher Long's face on whether to keep him.

I said earlier in the season that I would punt him regardless due to his huffs earlier in the season, but I'm a fickle football fan like the rest of us. I would only give him a new contract if our intent is to play him as a #9, because he's definitely not a winger. It just depends whether Cole stays or not I guess. 

He might be too expensive to be Cole's backup and too temperamental to be our first choice going into next season.

However, in the past few years, there's been so many below par players who I've been fine with leaving, only for us to replace them with a worse alternative. There's part of me that thinks better the devil you know.

30 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye, I mean I'm not advocating that we sign him up but my general feeling is that given the rebuild as it stands we're probably not against giving players that Alexander's been using an extra year. It'd still leave a fair number needed in terms of incoming but it'd free us up to focus on recruiting in areas where we're definitely going to be missing bodies.

Crawford's a good example in that he's started something like 13 of Alexander's 15 games in charge so it was absolutely no surprise to see him get an extra year. Why bother releasing a player who's been doing fine for the manager when there's no guarantee that the replacement on that budget will be better.

As @crazylegsjoe_mfc says there's definitely a bit of better the devil you know at play just now.

You can probably look at the squad and guess who the manager likes enough to keep around and who he's less sold on. You'd guess that Seedorf is away, Polworth obviously, Hastie's loan won't be extended, same with Smith and Magloire who both have another year with their parent clubs anyway. Chapman it's probably a case of thanks for your time...

In that respect I think Long falls into a bit of a grey area in that our preferred front 3 was Watt Cole Roberts with Long off the bench but we've been able to start him the last couple of games with Watt having been out.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Begs the question, does Long get offered a new deal?

Ooooft. That is a dilemma

55 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’d certainly rather have Long than another Jordan White.

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I just have something in the back of my mind suggesting there could be an absolutely cracking Motherwell player in there if somebody coaxes it out of him. 

I really agree with the posts above but I canny go Long. I'd love to hate him when he is brilliant for us. He just misses a lot of chances.

He never wanted to be here in the first place (this season). 

He also seems as though he needs mental help at times.

I'd like to see him made into a player cos I think there is one there. It seems he's unwilling to accept his place on the ladder at the moment.

Hey Chris! I've brought you a cake! 😃

Ucht, f**k sake...how am I meant to get that home? I came on the bus, now I've got to get on there with a fucking cake?

Hey Chris! Here's a fiver! 😃

Well what the f**k am I meant to do with that? Everywhere's card now cos of Corona, and I can't exactly pay it into the bank cos the branches are all shut! Even if they weren't, putting a tenners worth of petrol in the car just so I can drive to the bank to pay in a fiver? Aye, cheers for that. f**k sake.

Hey Chris! Here's a million pound in a bag! 😃

That's heavy as f**k! Can you not just transfer it...How the f**k am I meant to carry that anywhere? f**k sake.

Edited by Al B

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I am waiting for Eddie Nolan’s new deal.

I'm waiting for Eddie Nolan to do a wrestling-style entrance as a sub against Accies and go on to kick the living f**k out of them. Might happen. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ross Stewart ;) 

On the Chris Long chat, it's a conundrum alright. There absolutely, definitely is a player in there somewhere. He's rapid, has decent feet and can absolutely skelp a ball. I can't work out whether he needs a boot up the arse or an arm round the shoulder to get it out of him on a regular basis though. 

Would I give him another year? Debatable. 

14 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

On the Chris Long chat, it's a conundrum alright. There absolutely, definitely is a player in there somewhere. He's rapid, has decent feet and can absolutely skelp a ball. I can't work out whether he needs a boot up the arse or an arm round the shoulder to get it out of him on a regular basis though. 

Would I give him another year? Debatable. 

Aye, I think what I was getting at yesterday was the idea that back in January the assumption from most would have been that he'd be getting launched without any real discussion - in his own words he'd been "crap" all season and from the outside looking in he didn't seem like he wanted to be here. He was very much one of those who was on the "at Motherwell because he couldn't get a move elsewhere" list that Robinson cited before he resigned.

Since then he's kind of perked up a bit and has contributed a bit of late with Watt having been out so I'm wondering if that's enough for both parties to have a conversation about next season rather than just trebuchet him back in the general direction of Merseyside.

I mean, who knows maybe he's in the same place and is just happy enough to see out the last few weeks of his deal before saying "See ya". That's fine too but it'd be interesting to see if he's in the "offered contract" list come the eagerly anticipated 'Squad Update" even if that's simply a token offer.

Also, I could be wrong but that rumour about us pre-contracting Scott Robinson felt to me like a more budget friendly replacement for Long.

Edited by capt_oats