Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Interesting...

Alexander hopes there may be a way to sign the former Rangers trainee in the summer.

He said: “We’ve spoken to Liam and QPR about it after he said he would be interested in coming back next year.

“It has been on the backburner as we have tried to get permanent players signed up. But if his future lies out of QPR then we would certainly be interested."

Link

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

When is Carson tied down until?

I fucking loved Carson but he's made of chocolate.

Summer '22 - which is why I thought it was interesting if we're open to Kelly coming back since I don't see him planning to get parked on the bench if he was to come back, be it another loan or whatever.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Summer '22 - which is why I thought it was interesting if we're open to Kelly coming back since I don't see him planning to get parked on the bench if he was to come back, be it another loan or whatever.

The way Carson’s knee buckled under him when no one was near him must be a great cause for concern.

The club brought him back far to soon 

Getting Liam Kelly on a permanent deal would be a tremendous bit of business. Also plenty of sell-on potential as he's young for a 'keeper. 

Looking at the squad as a whole, I was very much on board with the get them all launched idea, but I think with us still being under these circumstances, we'll see a few players, who would normally be punted, get given an extra year (like Crawford & Mugabi). We've heard from McGinley about how difficult it's been moving to Scotland and basically being stuck in a flat for a year. All going well, we're moving away from that life but you just never know what's going to happen over the next 6-9 months. That'll have an effect on players and their decision on whether to move. 

I'm keen to see what kind of player Alexander will bring in over the summer. We know we'll lose two of our big hitters in the summer in Gallagher and Campbell. There's also question marks over whether we can keep Cole. We'll need at least one quality centre half, central midfielder and central striker in. I'll forgive the manager for the shambles of the Nolan/Foley/Smith signings due to him being in the door 5 minutes and window closing, but he'll be judged heavily on this summer's recruitment. 

Either that or he can win the cup this year and nobody will give a f**k who we sign as we'll all be pished. 

I really feel for Carson. In an alternate universe he could be Celtic and Northern Ireland number 1 right now, earning 10x what he currently is, but his luck over the last 2-3 years has just been horrendous.

He’s now 33, not that old for a GK I guess, but has hardly played in 2 years and is clearly exploring options for after his playing career with his GK School he has launched, so if the opportunity came about to sign Kelly up again (even on loan) we’d be daft not to look at it.

Goes without saying it’s going to be a huge summer for the club in terms of recruitment. Getting Devante Cole signed up should be top of the agenda for me. I can’t be arsed with him signing for Gillingham/Crewe/Some other League 1 shite to play 6 games and then re-sign with us in the January.

Would be a tremendous piece of business if we could get Kelly in permanently , however his performances for us won't have gone unnoticed and I could easily see another English club with far more resources than us offering QPR cash for him . He is undoubtedly good enough for the level down there. 

I'm too am  a big fan of our Trev' , but his body is just permanently broken . A real shame as he is a top keeper ,and seems like a thoroughly decent guy who could have achieved so much more in his career but for some hellish bad luck and being constantly injured. Fingers crossed a decent rest over the summer can see him back fit and playing.

On the rest of the squad , I think we all know/agree the biggest areas of concern for the rebuild and I am both keen and excited to see what type of players Alexander will bring in and which direction and playing style he will take us in .

In  terms of what's left of the season , I know we're basically safe ,but would like to scud Accies in the next game to make it mathematically so , and also to assist them on their journey back to the seaside leagues . It's the neighbourly thing to do .

In the cup I believe we are more than capable of doing a number on Hibs again at Easter Road to book a semi final place , however it would be so very Motherwell to make a cnut of it against Morton next weekend and end up our on our arses before getting the chance .

I agree about Carson. He'll look at deadline day in January 2018 as a proper sliding doors moment now. You'd imagine that even had he gone to Celtic and ended up with the same unfortunate predicament with DVT and knee problems, but at least he'd have a contract that would have gone further to setting him up financially. He performed well when he was in the team this season, but the fact he's now on his third season in a row playing less than 20 games is hard to ignore. I'm so glad we singed Kelly as going through the season with Chapman as number one could have seen things turn out very differently.

Regarding signing him permanently or loaning him again - how much do we reckon he's on a week? I would have imagined around £5k at least. I can imagine we would afford to pay something like a third of that. I just sadly can't see a scenario where we keep him. 

He has two years left on his deal at QPR. I can't see them being happy with a small percentage of his wages being covered on a loan, I can't see them paying his contract up, I can't see us paying a fee and I can't see him being happy to take such a cut in wages to join us permanently.

I hope I'm wrong, but if he has no future at QPR, I reckon his loan here will have just put him in the shop window for a club who are either able to cover more of his wages with a loan, or a club who are able to afford him permanently.

Listening to Jock yesterday, when he was audible, he had constant false promises from the sound engineer but the highlight was  when Lamie went down near the end.  He said, there were 30 seconds to go when Lamie went down, he stayed down for 75  seconds so we have to play the 30 plus those 75.  He was shocked when the ref just blew for the end.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Listening to Jock yesterday, when he was audible, he had constant false promises from the sound engineer but the highlight was  when Lamie went down near the end.  He said, there were 30 seconds to go when Lamie went down, he stayed down for 75  seconds so we have to play the 30 plus those 75.  He was shocked when the ref just blew for the end.

Obviously don't like Jock Brown because of his 'Tic connections historically, but can't help but like him for his '91 semi replay commentary. "A quite deliberate chip from Kirk........"

Edited by AllyMax

More Kelly chat. I mean, I'm not sure how much this is just standard loanee patter but there definitely seem to have been discussions about sorting something.

The TL;DR version seems to be Kelly's up for it if Motherwell is an option but it really depends on QPR as he's their player.

As a side note, if we're looking at Kelly as an option I'd guess that would mean Fox and Chapman won't be offered anything. No surprise really if that is the case but it'd leave us with Kelly Carson and Morrison as contracted 'keepers if he was to come back.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As a side note, if we're looking at Kelly as an option I'd guess that would mean Fox and Chapman won't be offered anything. No surprise really if that is the case but it'd leave us with Kelly Carson and Morrison as contracted 'keepers if he was to come back.

On that note I'd love to see us have Kelly as number 1 with Carson as backup while he does his coaching stuff. Morrison can go on loan unless we have another crisis.

I loved big Trev in goals but the way his knees have packed in this season is very concerning. And I don't think any of us want to be scrambling around in October trying to find a keeper again. 

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

On that note I'd love to see us have Kelly as number 1 with Carson as backup while he does his coaching stuff. Morrison can go on loan unless we have another crisis.

I loved big Trev in goals but the way his knees have packed in this season is very concerning. And I don't think any of us want to be scrambling around in October trying to find a keeper again. 

Aye, I think the situation we were in with a fit Carson/Gillespie was probably unsustainable because, let's face it, Carson had an eye on international caps and him being parked on our bench wasn't going to make that happen while reading between the lines Gillespie had been brought up on the promise of first team football as we were expecting some bids to come in for Trev.

Carson's situation has kind of changed off the back of the DVT and his knee knack. Even if he gets back to full fitness (I hope he does) it still feels like an ask to expect a full season out him and I'd have thought that this season specifically will have brought into focus the problem you have if you have a massive drop off in levels from your #1 to back-up 'keeper.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable going into a season with Kelly Carson as our options than (for example) Carson Fox.

Edited by capt_oats

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd feel a lot more comfortable going into a season with Kelly Carson as our options than (for example) Carson Fox.

Agree with all of this post.

Also, Kelly Carson and Carson Fox sound like an American newsreader duo.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I think the situation we were in with a fit Carson/Gillespie was probably unsustainable because, let's face it, Carson had an eye on international caps and him being parked on our bench wasn't going to make that happen while reading between the lines Gillespie had been brought up on the promise of first team football as we were expecting some bids to come in for Trev.

Carson's situation has kind of changed off the back of the DVT and his knee knack. Even if he gets back to full fitness (I hope he does) it still feels like an ask to expect a full season out him and I'd have thought that this season specifically will have brought into focus the problem you have if you have a massive drop off in levels from your #1 to back-up 'keeper.

I think one of the other issues is that we have no idea what we could expect of Fox. I think he managed 45 minutes of a friendly before he was broken.

Either way I'm all in on Liam Kelly. Had a great laugh at him losing his absolute shit at the defending against St Johnstone.