Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Next season we should fully lean in to Alexander being a fucking nutcase. I want to see him throwing stuff about the place and kicking through doors on a Tuesday morning. 

There must be at least 30 minutes on why he can get any number of cards, any colour you want and the SFA say nothing.

I see that (hero) Liam Polworth is out of contract at the end of the season but that Motherwell have hardly met expectations this season, just wondering what the general consensus among Motherwell fans is about him now? Likely to be booted or kept on? 

19 minutes ago, Sean ICTFC said:

I see that (hero) Liam Polworth is out of contract at the end of the season but that Motherwell have hardly met expectations this season, just wondering what the general consensus among Motherwell fans is about him now? Likely to be booted or kept on? 

He'll be away.

I'm a Polworth fan, last season he was one of our best players. Would have been on the shortlist for POTY no doubt.

This season for reasons that aren't exactly clear he's seen a massive drop off. Whether he's had a shite time with lockdown or taken a huff I don't know but he's been nowhere near the player he was in his first season. To be fair he's not alone in that respect (*waves at Declan Gallagher*) but given our general lack of creative players we've felt it more than others.

He's not exactly endeared himself to Alexander either. He started his first two games then got sent off at Pittodrie for having a tantrum leaving us to play the 2nd half with 10 men when we were only 1-0 down and still in the game. His next appearance he gave away a needless penalty in a performance for the ages as St Johnstone scudded us 3-0 (going on 6 or 7). He's not been seen since - he's been on the bench but Alexander hasn't given him a minute.

So aye, it seems very unlikely he'll be here next season.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

if you don't think Social media is about likes, retweets, hits, views then you have been living on the moon for the past ten years.

Well, yes and no. If your primary measure is how much you can charge advertisers on a number-of-clicks basis, then you might as well just ape the most successful brand on the planet of late, Donald Trump, and start tweeting about injecting yourself with disinfectant. Eventually, though, those advertisers will realise that the quantity of clicks is not matched by the quality of those doing the clicking, and at the some time your core audience will have fucked off never to return.

There's not much football-related that's made me more uncomfortable than Mark O'Hara's post-final whistle clip from a few weeks ago.

I mean, it's essentially going up to someone thats had a horrendous day at work, shoving a camera in their face and saying "well you made a massive c**t of that, tell us your thoughts?", and then putting it on the internet.

I'd have been fucking raging at the media team if I was him. Wft were they thinking?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I think this is kind of it. I totally get what they're doing and why they're done it. The 'strategy' so to speak is to give an 'authentic' representation of the season.

It's about the 'highs and lows' and other cliches. Essentially the logic is that if you're only leaning into the good stuff then you're not being true to yourself. That's.....fine? As an idea it makes total sense when it's stuck up on an ideas board or if you're on a sports marketing podcast explaining what you're trying to do and talking about it as a 'Big Idea' and it's something that totally works in a season like our 3rd* place finish but this season it's been a slog and ultimately if you're sticking to the same schedule and socials plan on a match day and following the same format then it just kind of dissipates.

I think where it becomes problematic is for example, the feeling that you're not talking to Allan Campbell or whoever on the final whistle because he's got something to say, you're doing it because you're ticking a box on the content plan because that's what you do. What seemed 'fresh' 18 months ago feels less so now purely as a result of having done it every fucking week win or lose over two seasons and subsequently in an empty stadium.

It's a fine (and difficult) balance to do stuff that will engage your own fanbase but also appeal to enough users to grow your #numbers so I'm wary of sounding like I'm taking shots at the media team. Also, the fact that I've literally been sat in a Social Media/Digital Strategy meeting for my own work for the last hour and a half means I empathise with what they're trying to do.

I'm broadly in the same camp as @Neil86 in so much as I think the ideas and the #content the socials channels put out is v.good and tbh it's better than it should be quality-wise given the size of the team.

Like most it's the foot-in-mouth tone that's been grinding my gears recently...I mean, pumped 4-1 by a side at the bottom of the league, without a win in 10 and we're popping up with 'A clear lesson to learn'? No fucking shit lads.

Did no one take pause to think 'how does this actually come across' before hitting the 'tweet' button? Same with the Ricki Lamie = a brick wall post on IG...I mean really? No one thought 'Hmmm, the bold Ricki's had a few decent games recently but maybe we'll just dial that one back a bit."?

Also, Hey! Turns out this is my 8000th post. Time well spent I think we'll all agree.

Congratulations Cpt. Don't always agree with you but you never fail to make interesting comments.

Here's to the next 8,000👍

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

1-1 between Formartine and Annan just before half time. I’m gutted we can’t go to either of them.

Annan would certainly be easier for the team in terms of travel if nothing else. 
70 odd miles v 170 odd miles to the north of Aberdeen. So a 60-90 minute trip v 180-240. 
I guess Formartine would not be playing between now and next round were they to win through ? 

Annan would certainly be easier for the team in terms of travel if nothing else. 
70 odd miles v 170 odd miles to the north of Aberdeen. So a 60-90 minute trip v 180-240. 
I guess Formartine would not be playing between now and next round were they to win through ? 

My pal used to live in Ellon which is near where Formartine play. There’s a massive pub at the Brewdog factory and I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to see the game from a distance.

I’ve only been to Annan once but it’s class leaving the clubhouse two minutes before kickoff and not missing a thing.

I would prefer Annan simply due to tbe fact we will be away and they will provide a stream for the fixture. Formartine haven't provided a stream For this round so I doubt they will for the next.

Edited by Phillips455

4 hours ago, Sean ICTFC said:

He took the huff when he got benched for David Turnbull at the start of the season. Then never really got going. I always was suspect of his defensive side, he always looked busy or as if he knew what he was doing but was shite at it. He could get away with it when he was great on the baw. Not this year.

He tweeted this a month ago and I think someone in here suspected it was maybe due to a PCA

Hopefully they will provide a stream. They were the only team not to provide a stream this round [emoji20]

I think they will. I’d guess they’d make money off a stream with us which would be more difficult with the numbers with a game vs Annan. With all due respect.

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Wouldn't stun me if the BBC showed this tie.

It would me. Considering you have the likes of DDee U v Partick, Livi v Raith, Dundee v St Johnstone. Not to mention a Highland Derby with Ross C v Inverness. 

Would rather Annan got through for ease of travel but according to BBC both teams had 50% posession and each only had one shot on target (and apparently only one shot in total) all evening. That cannot be right, but if it is then we should win through to the next round. 

Lets not do a Hearts please 🙏

It would me. Considering you have the likes of DDee U v Partick, Livi v Raith, Dundee v St Johnstone. Not to mention a Highland Derby with Ross C v Inverness. 
Would rather Annan got through for ease of travel but according to BBC both teams had 50% posession and each only had one shot on target (and apparently only one shot in total) all evening. That cannot be right, but if it is then we should win through to the next round. 
Lets not do a Hearts please [emoji120]
BBC Scotland usually like to chuck on a non league team, and a home tie with a Premiership team would get them the ratings.

I can think of matches involving Auchinleck, Kelty and Linlithgow all being shown recently..