Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Post split fixtures...

10/04 Well v St Mirren
21/04 Accies v Well
01/05 Well v Kilmarnock
12/05 Dundee Utd v Well
16/05 Well v Ross County

It is a bit staccato, presumably we are romping the cup in the gaps.

Genuinely can't believe your club Twitter account is still pumping out those tragic "we go again" type videos at all, never mind after absolute houndings.

Surely they read the comments and understand what a bad idea that is and how it distances fans from the club?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely can't believe your club Twitter account is still pumping out those tragic "we go again" type videos at all, never mind after absolute houndings.

Surely they read the comments and understand what a bad idea that is and how it distances fans from the club?

They didn't care when we asked them not to take the match updates away, They won't care now.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

They didn't care when we asked them not to take the match updates away, They won't care now.

Their priority isn't engaging with and providing quality content based on what the clubs *actual* supporters want and never will be. All about those likes and retweets and trying to get Manchester United to acknowledge our club's existence on twitter. They seem to be a bit detached from what the club should be about and there's no evidence of any clear joined up strategy.

The socials stuff has been done to death but I noticed that we didn't have a 'reaction' clip from the final whistle on Saturday and, unless I've missed it, we didn't RT/post the highlights package from Sky either.

Ultimately, the whole 'we go again' 💪 👊 type patter is the 'voice' they've chosen to go for so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that they're still running with it and in fairness it's in line with plenty other sports social media accounts. It's not a unique Motherwell Social Media thing. It's also not something that they're going to change up massively mid-season either.

Whether they give it a re-think once this bin fire of a season is done who knows. I'd be surprised if they changed their tone but given there was a fair degree of buy in from Robinson on the 'messaging' during his time at the club I'm curious to see if Alexander is as...receptive.

Either way, @Desp's post was on the money the last time this conversation was going on (only a month ago) and it's not any less accurate now:

On 16/02/2021 at 09:45, Desp said:

It almost feels these days as if the social media channels for MFC are a separate entity to the actual football team, as opposed to it being set-up to run alongside the team.

Basically, the folks who work in the social media side at Fir Park will have SLA's like the rest of us do in our workplaces.  They'll be targeted to get numbers every week/month/year, whether the actual football team wins 4-1 or loses 4-1.  It appears from the outside that the social media side doesn't actually give a f**k about the team anymore.  Do they even support MFC?  I know previously not all of them did, but I wonder if there's any of them left that do?

In pre-social media days after a shiter of a defeat like Saturday, I probably stewed on it for a day, switched off from football during the week and didn't give it much thought again until I was in the pub before the next game. There was thankfully no equivalent of "Raising the standard", "Putting things right", " Re-doubling our efforts" or any other Birthday Card Pish because I'm basically not at all interested in raking over depressing losses.

With social media now being a job/career, there is obviously a need to keep pumping stuff out and doing-the-numbers regardless, even when saying nothing is probably the best option in some cases (and to be fair, they've stopped shoving a camera in player's faces after big defeats, so someone gets that point). 

I agree with @Swello above. If Saints are going through a bad run or have just been hammered, I try and disengage from football as much as possible between matches. The last thing I need is a Wes Anderson montage of players looking a bit sad with inspirational quotes from the manager about putting things right. That just annoys me and I'm relieved our social media team hasn't ever gone full Motherwell.

I think for next season, they need to have a strategy for when we've been taken to the woodshed (the only enjoyable thing about Saturday was learning that phrase) that's different from when we win.

My suggestion for the week following a pumping is - once the manager interview is up - fire every last thought about the game into a bin (and then set fire to the bin) and then spend the following week tweeting endless goals from - not to be too cruel about it - good Motherwell teams. Basically Michael Higdon > We Go Again. I could probably have a branding document around this strategy done by the end of the day.

It's always annoyed me that there's never been a "Premiership Years" type show for Scottish Football. The BBC and Sky must have a shitload of archive football (particularly the BBC for the 80s and 90s stuff) that could be utilised properly instead of tweeting out random goal clips at random times. 

Imagine reliving the mid 90s Motherwell teams in a 2 hour show? 

tiere bis unters dach doctor GIF by SWR Kindernetz

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't miss the match updates at all, a brief description every 20 minutes or so is fine, Do we really need a tweet on the 7th minute saying Allan campbell pinched possession in the middle of the park and dragged his shot wide of the post?

55 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Their priority isn't engaging with and providing quality content based on what the clubs *actual* supporters want and never will be. All about those likes and retweets and trying to get Manchester United to acknowledge our club's existence on twitter. They seem to be a bit detached from what the club should be about and there's no evidence of any clear joined up strategy.

I also disagree with this, the club put out excellent behind the scenes type footage which fans of most clubs would love, don't get me wrong, the 'we go again' stuff on a monday needs wrapped but in general, the content is good, not everything is going to please everyone but we can't be too critical of our social media.

I don't have a problem with them going hunting for the next tweet with 10k likes, because that is literally the point of social media and Manchester united acknowledging the club on twitter can't be a bad thing surely? 

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

I don't miss the match updates at all, a brief description every 20 minutes or so is fine, Do we really need a tweet on the 7th minute saying Allan campbell pinched possession in the middle of the park and dragged his shot wide of the post?

To be honest it's not needed just now with everyone sittin in the hoose watching on club streams/dodgy links.
on the day I didn't go to Livi/Celtic/Rangers/Hibs through having other things to do or being dragged somewhere against my will, I did enjoy looking through the feed seeing we had a few missed shots or have been lucky at the back. As is being said though those tweets didn't get 100 like and retweets so it was canned.

I also couldn't care if Man U* notice our club in anyway other than bidding millions for one of our diddies.

*or any other team.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

To be honest it's not needed just now with everyone sittin in the hoose watching on club streams/dodgy links.
on the day I didn't go to Livi/Celtic/Rangers/Hibs through having other things to do or being dragged somewhere against my will, I did enjoy looking through the feed seeing we had a few missed shots or have been lucky at the back. As is being said though those tweets didn't get 100 like and retweets so it was canned.

I also couldn't care if Man U* notice our club in anyway other than bidding millions for one of our diddies.

*or any other team.

I think what has tipped me over the edge is seeing English premier league clubs tweeting 'GOAL' followed by 'VAR CHECK'  followed by 'NO GOAL' all in the space of two minutes clogging up my timeline, fortunately in Scotland we aren't blessed with that YET.

The man utd thing I agree with you on, I personally couldn't care but I can see why the club would and that it can't be a bad thing, such a global brand, I guess the aim there is one guy taking an interest in Motherwelll because Man utd interacted with them on twitter.

22 hours ago, Swello said:

I think for next season, they need to have a strategy for when we've been taken to the woodshed (the only enjoyable thing about Saturday was learning that phrase) that's different from when we win.

My suggestion for the week following a pumping is - once the manager interview is up - fire every last thought about the game into a bin (and then set fire to the bin) and then spend the following week tweeting endless goals from - not to be too cruel about it - good Motherwell teams. Basically Michael Higdon > We Go Again. I could probably have a branding document around this strategy done by the end of the day.

I think this is kind of it. I totally get what they're doing and why they're done it. The 'strategy' so to speak is to give an 'authentic' representation of the season.

It's about the 'highs and lows' and other cliches. Essentially the logic is that if you're only leaning into the good stuff then you're not being true to yourself. That's.....fine? As an idea it makes total sense when it's stuck up on an ideas board or if you're on a sports marketing podcast explaining what you're trying to do and talking about it as a 'Big Idea' and it's something that totally works in a season like our 3rd* place finish but this season it's been a slog and ultimately if you're sticking to the same schedule and socials plan on a match day and following the same format then the impact just kind of dilutes.

I think where it becomes problematic is for example, the feeling that you're not talking to Allan Campbell or whoever on the final whistle because he's got something to say, you're doing it because you're ticking a box on the content plan because that's what you do. What seemed 'fresh' 18 months ago feels less so now purely as a result of having done it every fucking week win or lose over two seasons and subsequently in an empty stadium.

It's a fine (and difficult) balance to do stuff that will engage your own fanbase but also appeal to enough users to grow your #numbers so I'm wary of sounding like I'm taking shots at the media team. Also, the fact that I've literally been sat in a Social Media/Digital Strategy meeting for my own work for the last hour and a half means I empathise with what they're trying to do.

I'm broadly in the same camp as @Neil86 in so much as I think the ideas and the #content the socials channels put out is v.good and tbh it's better than it should be quality-wise given the size of the team.

Like most it's the foot-in-mouth tone that's been grinding my gears recently...I mean, pumped 4-1 by a side at the bottom of the league, without a win in 10 and we're popping up with 'A clear lesson to learn'? No fucking shit lads.

Did no one take pause to think 'how does this actually come across' before hitting the 'tweet' button? Same with the Ricki Lamie = a brick wall post on IG...I mean really? No one thought 'Hmmm, the bold Ricki's had a few decent games recently but maybe we'll just dial that one back a bit."?

Also, Hey! Turns out this is my 8000th post. Time well spent I think we'll all agree.

Edited by capt_oats

38 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

For whom? It's certainly not the point for those of us they're meant to be keeping informed.

I am at a loss, what do you feel you aren't being kept informed about? 

if you don't think Social media is about likes, retweets, hits, views then you have been living on the moon for the past ten years.