Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Facebook is a genuine Rise of The Idiots platform but unfortunately it's a 'reap what you sow' situation for the bold Declan.

Pre-January I think most would have looked at him and had absolutely no issue with him capitalising on his new-found and quite unexpected Scotland international status to trade up and find a new club in the summer. We picked him up on a free, got a cracking first season out him, turned him into an international footballer and generally looked like one of our best signings in years. Less so this season but thems the breaks.

Even allowing for the contract clause, had that been renegotiated quietly in the background I don't think anyone (barring the extreme ITK-ers) would have been any the wiser.

Instead his 'source close to the player' was out briefing the press about the extension, guns being held to his head and him potentially missing out on his dream move to Celtic. 

Fair enough if that's how he wanted to play his hand but it leaves him open to galaxy brain takes from the support when he disappears with a unspecified "injury" on the day of the game that would have seen the clause kick in (according to whoever he had briefing the press) and for the club captain it's a pretty bad look at the best of times let alone in a relegation situation.

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, you could be critical of aspects of his game (especially after yesterday) but he's not slow.

Also: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11676/11703275/meet-tyler-magloire-blackburn-rovers-defender-faster-than-kylian-mbappe

Yeah I rather stopped paying full attention to the match part way through the second half (fairweather fan that I am), but there was definitely a moment when the Killie player had a 5 yard head start and he easily caught up with the guy.  So yeah, he's deffo got some pace.

But maybe he's got no stamina and can only do a few of those impressive bursts per game before he's burnt out.
Or maybe he's just shite at football and is slow to react.  It can look pretty dreadful to be rocking on your heels as somebody strolls past cos your heads not in the game.

Talking of social media, I see Watto is shilling some PS5's for a scalper 'friend'.   They're not outrageously priced but maybe that's a function of supply-and-demand with a bit more supply coming through now and the price has dropped.   Anyway, being associated with something like that doesn't seem too savvy to me.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:
9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:
what actually happened with Gallagher. I never saw it.

Someone went off on one on the official Facebook in a reply about why Gallagher isn't playing saying its cause he's refusing to play enough games to trigger his extension and he replied to him saying what's he on about he's played 26 games with him coming off the bench and saying that it's unreal that he gets the blame for things when he's not even playing.

I am not on Facebook for many reasons. Twitter and LinkedIn are harmful enough for ones health and mental wellbeing. 

Although only a summary of the exchange above. I find it interesting that Gallacher in some ways has confirmed there was an appearance trigger if he mentions the mythical 26 games. Many have claimed the contract has now been renegotiated and if so I guess the number of games would be immaterial but still surprising that Gallacher does not flat out say number of games played is totally redundant / irrelevant to his future at Motherwell...

Gallagher has 5 games to play for us (plus cup) before the gun is fully removed from his head and he can go somewhere better. I'm at the point where I've ceased to care about what he does. He was superb last year and deserves a tilt at the 2nd or 3rd tier of English football.

Like most, I'm at the point where I want to see us over the line in the league and I can start to care about next season & getting back to games and just forget this abomination ever happened.

Honestly why would you have social media as a professional football player. You're just opening up to the goon platoon throwing wild accusations at you. 

Gallagher's agent is clearly on overtime with the amount of kites he's flying at this point, and I can't really grudge him a punt at a higher level. It's a short career so might as well get cash in the bank while your stock is high. 

We've all said it before but 5 games (+ the cup) to go. Hopefully we shithouse our way to safety and then f**k this whole season into a wheelie bin. Clear out of the dreck in the summer and pray it's not so shite next year. 

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Move us to the top 6.

Worst Celtic team for years? - can’t lay a glove on them. 

Rangers strolling unbeaten to title? - scored more than any other team against them. 

Football eh? 

Reading the "Who you would you keep/punt" threads on S.O. Maybe just me but I'm 100% up for just punting literally everyone (f.a.o pedants...I know we can't actually do that) and starting again from scratch.

That's not to say there aren't a couple of players that I like in terms of ability and character, but unfortunately they just happen to be at the club during a time where Motherwell F.C. as a squad just has a massively dislikeable quality to it. They are the polar opposite of the Higdon/Ojamaa/Law/Humphrey era...even chucking in lower ability guys like Carswell etc, they were just a squad of players that had an amazing charisma to it, and you really wanted to be part of that connection. I'd also throw Robinson's Moult/Herbalife/McHugh/Kipre era, there was a real "all-in-this-together" vibe about the place around that time and you just had this feeling of wanting to be a part of it.

The "rumourmongering" about a split/bad atmosphere/whatever you want to call it amongst the squad doesn't surprise me one bit, as it just has that feeling that any workplace has when there's a group that includes people that can't stand each other, but are forced to work together. There's just an uncomfortable "I don't want to be a part of this" feeling, and that is spilling over into the fanbase as well.

Those squads mentioned above, I'd have absolutely signed up for a night out with any of them, you just got the impression that it would have been a brilliant laugh with guys that really got on. This squad? Erm.....I've got to put my bookshelf into alphabetical order that night, sorry.

So aye, hypothetically, bin everyone. Let's hit the end of May with a playing squad of zero. Starting again from absolute scratch has the makings of being a right laugh, so that gets my vote.

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I love Tom Aldred. Career move goals as well. 

Hounded out by the fans at Bury (Club died. Get it right up them.), a hero at Motherwell and now he's living the absolute dream in Australia. 

And he is the perfect illustration of the reason that it should be written into the constitution of the club that a set proportion of any squad should be made up of Big Daft Bastarts

This season - no BDB's = no fun

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Reading the "Who you would you keep/punt" threads on S.O. Maybe just me but I'm 100% up for just punting literally everyone (f.a.o pedants...I know we can't actually do that) and starting again from scratch.

That's not to say there aren't a couple of players that I like in terms of ability and character, but unfortunately they just happen to be at the club during a time where Motherwell F.C. as a squad just has a massively dislikeable quality to it. They are the polar opposite of the Higdon/Ojamaa/Law/Humphrey era...even chucking in lower ability guys like Carswell etc, they were just a squad of players that had an amazing charisma to it, and you really wanted to be part of that connection. I'd also throw Robinson's Moult/Herbalife/McHugh/Kipre era, there was a real "all-in-this-together" vibe about the place around that time and you just had this feeling of wanting to be a part of it.

The "rumourmongering" about a split/bad atmosphere/whatever you want to call it amongst the squad doesn't surprise me one bit, as it just has that feeling that any workplace has when there's a group that includes people that can't stand each other, but are forced to work together. There's just an uncomfortable "I don't want to be a part of this" feeling, and that is spilling over into the fanbase as well.

Those squads mentioned above, I'd have absolutely signed up for a night out with any of them, you just got the impression that it would have been a brilliant laugh with guys that really got on. This squad? Erm.....I've got to put my bookshelf into alphabetical order that night, sorry.

So aye, hypothetically, bin everyone. Let's hit the end of May with a playing squad of zero. Starting again from absolute scratch has the makings of being a right laugh, so that gets my vote.

280c723e-ce81-4635-9e65-7102d00b3237_tex

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I see Salford have sacked Alexander's replacement already

He'd not long ago won a cup too, albeit a shitty-sounding one. Didn't hang on o it for long, though.

Salford's victory in the 2019/20 Papa John's Trophy final came just a day before this season's final was played, meaning they were officially champions for only one day.