Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Serious Q to all Well fans. Would you give Donnelly another contract ? 

If he stayed fit then yes. But the odds are very much against that happening based on last few years.

A NO from me - somewhat sadly 🤷‍♂️

If he can show the management team what he has got between now and the summer I would leave it up to them.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

If he can show the management team what he has got between now and the summer I would leave it up to them.

But some players are just injury prone. 

Michael Owen, Jonathon Woodgate and  Jack Wilshere are good examples. 

No doubting Donnelly is good enough for Motherwell but playing a 1/3 of every season is not worth it imho.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

But some players are just injury prone. 

Michael Owen, Jonathon Woodgate and  Jack Wilshere are good examples. 

No doubting Donnelly is good enough for Motherwell but playing a 1/3 of every season is not worth it imho.

I would probably have signed the three of them too

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

Donnelly is contracted for next season, so he will get the chance to prove his fitness. I don't know what all of his injuries are, if it has been the same thing each time I'd be concerned. 

It's not been the same injury.

Suppose the position he plays and the way he plays (ie gettin hammered in) will always mean that he'll suffer injuries more than most.

Happy to have him on board for next season.

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Donnelly is contracted for next season, so he will get the chance to prove his fitness. I don't know what all of his injuries are, if it has been the same thing each time I'd be concerned. 

Should have checked his contractual status before posing my Q.

As I posted a fully fit Donnelly would be a great asset to the team. 

Here is hoping he can get fit and more importantly STAY fit for next season...

Robinson alluded to his injury when it happened as just being a freak accident, did he not slip in training and slice a ligament in his knee or something? 

happy to have him on board, definitely adds something to the midfield when he is on it, good bit of bite and pretty decent technically. 

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Robinson alluded to his injury when it happened as just being a freak accident, did he not slip in training and slice a ligament in his knee or something? 

happy to have him on board, definitely adds something to the midfield when he is on it, good bit of bite and pretty decent technically. 

Aye, he talked about it himself in the clip the club put up on the socials a while back (it's in the spoiler).

As others have said, it's not like he's someone who's missing games because of recurring or known issues. There's not really much he can do to prevent a sliced meniscus.

He missed 8 games from 38 last season, two of those because of suspension so it's probably pretty hash to be chucking an "injury prone" tag about at him (despite the number of games he has/hasn't played). I think it's generally pretty much accepted that his first season here he didn't feature much because he didn't settle into the league and wasn't prepared physically for Scottish fitba'. That (IMO) is a very different situation to being "injury prone".

Also, that first season I'm not sure we were sure of what he was. We tried him at full back, centre back and by the time Sexy Motherwell came around Campbell, Gorrin and Turnbull had the midfield 3 positions on lock.

As everyone's already pointed out he's contracted for next season anyway so it seems a bit of a moot point. He'll get the opportunity to show that he's fully recovered and that he's the same player. I don't think there's any doubt we've missed him this season.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He missed 8 games from 38 last season, two of those because of suspension so it's probably pretty hash to be chucking an "injury prone" tag about at him (despite the number of games he has/hasn't played). I think it's generally pretty much accepted that his first season here he didn't feature much because he didn't settle into the league and wasn't prepared physically for Scottish fitba'. That (IMO) is a very different situation to being "injury prone".

By all means take the one season he has played the most games. But that is not representative of his time at Motherwell.

He has played 41 games in all competitions over 3 seasons. Less than double figures in his first season. Only one game this season.

I have nothing against Donnelly. All I mentioned is he appears to be injury prone. That is backed up by his appearances or lack of over 3 seasons. 

I hope the guy comes good next season but would not b surprised if we see a similar pattern. Nothing malicious in my POV Simply based on evidence so far.  I hope he proves  me wrong and becomes a stalwart. 

Edited by welldaft

His first season's appearances were limited, because he wasn't being selected (and rightly so at the time). His second season he played 30 or-so games. His 3rd season his leg bent the wrong way in training and sliced through the cartilage in his knee after one game, and he's been out ever since. What in there suggests injury prone?

You're saying that you're opinion is based on the evidence so far, and is backed up by his appearances....but it isn't though? Injury prone is either having a recurring injury that just keeps returning, or having various bits of your body continually breaking down.

It's like when you hear of players who have had multiple periods out as a result of being on the receiving end of terrible tackles, being described as "injury prone". It's nonsense. If I came along and broke your leg once a year, that's not you being injury prone.

Edit: Like an absolute saddo I've actually gone and roughly counted this, because the whole "injury prone" thing is a bugbear of mine...(can you tell? 🤣). This season he has made one appearance as, granted, he has been out with injury...although I dont think you can count a freak training accident of your leg bending the wrong way as "injury prone". Aside from that he's been available and in the squad for 51 games in 2 seasons, add to that 2 games where he was fit but suspended, and the fact that he was massively out-of-favour for half of that time, and I think that's pretty solid if you ask me. Add in 12 goals from midfield/centre back, and he's got a decent case for being our most important and effective player.

Edited by Al B

I'd be happy to have Donnelly back next season. I will be honest in that I think people were getting carried away a bit when he had a good spell at the start of last season. However, there's no doubt he's a very decent player for our level and with Campbell almost certainly leaving in the summer Donnelly will likely be seen as our main midfielder (assuming he's fit).

2 hours ago, Al B said:

His first season's appearances were limited, because he wasn't being selected (and rightly so at the time). His second season he played 30 or-so games. His 3rd season his leg bent the wrong way in training and sliced through the cartilage in his knee after one game, and he's been out ever since. What in there suggests injury prone?

You're saying that you're opinion is based on the evidence so far, and is backed up by his appearances....but it isn't though? Injury prone is either having a recurring injury that just keeps returning, or having various bits of your body continually breaking down.

Let me make it clear once again. If fully fit I rate Donnelley very highly. Our results with him in the team are by in large better than when he is out of it. I hope he gets fit and goes on to be a pivotal player for Motherwell. 

But my comment he appears injury prone is not without foundation. Can it be helped ? Maybe not. He certainly has had little luck. But I make it 3 injuries now as detailed below. You may not agree but I am simply not making it up. 

9F966F3E-CC0E-4B2F-9884-59D9947CBAB2.jpeg