Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I've enjoyed the Euro trip nostalgia to pass a free weekend. We have never really done anything memorable in Europe on the park - never beaten a higher seeded team or got very far in any competition - but we have managed to play in the CWC, UEFA/EL and the CL - and we've all made some decent memories along the way.

I've been to Dortmund, Nancy, Odense, Reykjavik, Bucharest, Valencia and Athens and never regretted a minute of it - some of my best times as a 'Well fan and before this season, I'd been to all the home games in Europe since Katowice. I couldn't get away from work for Llanelli and that looked a good laugh (watching it in Welsh on S4C was as good as it got for me). I didn't make Reykjavik the 2nd time round and the one I regret missing the most was Aalesunds in Norway but there was no way for me to fit another trip in around everything else and in between Breidablik and Odense. 

By the time we got to Krasnador, I'd weirdly lost interest in European games a bit and I didn't even bother checking out the travel possibilities for that one and having a few years off wasn't the worst thing. I would have definitely made it to NI this year and if it was do-able without costing the same as a family holiday, Israel too.  

I've enjoyed the Euro trip nostalgia to pass a free weekend.

Certainly better than worrying about poor performances and relegation worries!

Kind of thankful we haven’t qualified for a group stage, the wife wouldn’t be happy!!

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Good reading everyone's euro trips.
We went to Athens for a week. basically a holiday with a gemme in there.

It was actually a discussion on Tom Hateley’s set pieces.

Odense, Athens and Reykjavik (the second time) were the ones I made.

The Stjarnan game itself was infuriating. That was the night I was finally finish with Iain Vigurs. I remember shouting all the lazy b*****ds of the day at him as he was going off the pitch and I'm not normally like that. He spent extra time standing with his hands on his hips. To this day seeing him play against us still gets my blood pressure up 🥵

However, the next day, chilling in the blue lagoon with a pint, you'd have soon forgotten you had even travelled for a Motherwell game, it was as good a Friday morning as I've ever had. The six of us all just thought we were warm because the water was though and we all came out with the worst sunburn any of us ever had. I felt Karma biting me back for laughing at my mum's suggestion of taking sun cream to Iceland. 

We just arrived on the day of the game fortunately, which meant we got the shitshow of a game over on the first day and managed to enjoy three cracking days in Iceland after it.

33 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Odense, Athens and Reykjavik (the second time) were the ones I made.

The Stjarnan game itself was infuriating. That was the night I was finally finish with Iain Vigurs. I remember shouting all the lazy b*****ds of the day at him as he was going off the pitch and I'm not normally like that. He spent extra time standing with his hands on his hips. To this day seeing him play against us still gets my blood pressure up 🥵

It was the 1st game that did for us. We went 2-0 up and were comfortable until Las decided to go for a Euro penalty record all on his own 😤 I vividly recall saying to my pal at 2-0 - oh well at least we will get a draw. How prophetic and annoying. Our game management was akin to Scotland playing rugby.

I missed out on Dortmund which is still a profound regret. Not being from Motherwell I literally knew no Well fans until Big Pie set up the East of Scotland Well supporters branch almost 25 years ago. Still going today...although average age of members is well into into the 60’s 😎

I have managed to get to Finland, France, Iceland (Breidlablik), Wales, Denmark, Romania and Greece. I would have liked to have gone to Norway and Spain but when working it was and is tough to organise with a few days notice having just been away. All told I have actually seen us win away 3 times in Europe. 

Annoying we had to miss out this year. Would have seriously considered going to Israel. 

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

It was the 1st game that did for us. We went 2-0 up and were comfortable until Las decided to go for a Euro penalty record all on his own 😤 I vividly recall saying to my pal at 2-0 - oh well at least we will get a draw. How prophetic and annoying. Our game management was akin to Scotland playing rugby.

Yeah, I remember we got a corner in the dying minutes and McManus and Ramsden going up and thinking surely we should just see this out. A couple of minutes later it's 2-2.

Josh Law scoring twice that night then he never scored again. Mind you, I did think he turned into a better right-back than a lot gave him credit for.

I remember thinking Stjarnan were absolutely rotten and we had sunk to their level, so the week later when they play Lech Poznan and Lech Poznan were just under evens to beat them in Iceland, I thought it was printing money..... it wasn't. Sure they ended up playing Inter Milan in the round after it.

Aalesund were absolutely rotten from what I remember. Usually you expect a decent game from a Scandinavian side but we beat them fairly easily.

Didn't their keeper from those games sign for Man United not long after?

16 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We probably will make a group stage eventually if this Conference thing becomes a semi permanent fixture. Don't want to count our chickens before they hatch etc but we're usually good for a few top 3 finishes a decade.

Aye, this is the dream ATM.

Given that we'll be sitting at either 2 or 3 teams in it from the league... forever, and the possibility of a guaranteed group stage spot being in place... get us on the plane. 300 folk going to fucking... Luxembourg, to take on the 4th best team from their league. 

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Aalesund were absolutely rotten from what I remember. Usually you expect a decent game from a Scandinavian side but we beat them fairly easily.

Didn't their keeper from those games sign for Man United not long after?

aye he did. They also had that striker that was about 7ft. He was in the papers etc making out he was great, cuunt was a carthorse

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I like the Women's new kit

image.thumb.png.1ec6e053d47146f5e11a1a8be7ee9ffd.png

It's a nice enough top - but it's really unlike our normal stuff - put a hand over the 'Well badge and it would be a Dundee top. Is there a reason for it?

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

aye he did. They also had that striker that was about 7ft. He was in the papers etc making out he was great, cuunt was a carthorse

Craigan launched into him every time the ball was in the air, I was always waiting for the whistle 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It's a nice enough top - but it's really unlike our normal stuff - put a hand over the 'Well badge and it would be a Dundee top. Is there a reason for it?

I was thinking the same thing. Dundee kits are also made by Ma9croon so I was 99% sure this was just a template used for Dundees kit in the past. Turns out they have never had a middle stripped shirt in recent years.

I could see this as dundees kit next season ( with their badge and sponsor being applied obviously) but I'm not sure why the women's team needed a new away kit? Is there something in the contract that requires this? I would assume using this seasons kits would have been a better and cheaper option since they already exist and are with the club.

Edit: just tool the time to read the actual news piece and its q charity shirt that was designed by the players in conjunction with YAMS. Might buy it just for that reason.

Edited by Phillips455