Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I remember folk being pretty much carried onto the buses at Fir Park. Not a good sign!

Who would have thought that setting off at 9pm on a Sunday night wouldn't have ended well :)

Reminds me of the bus down to Llanelli that left Daniels. Minibus of some sorts and nae toilet.

Someone brought one of those water at work urn hings and that was passed around at the back of the bus and tipped out every so often.

The midnight departure from Daniels and then the driver deciding to go the route right down through Wales made for some experience.

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

When we were in Europe I was a broke student so couldn't go.

Now we were in Europe and a fucking pandemic tanked any hope of going. 

I'm similar in that I was too young to ever go myself back then and my *** dad wouldn't take me abroad (though I almost talked him into Llanelli). 

Nancy was an almighty carry on. Boys coming up politely asking "We are the red sharks, do you want to fight?",  and then pointing us to a pub when we politely declined and requested lager instead was a very odd experience. 

7 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Reminds me of the bus down to Llanelli that left Daniels. Minibus of some sorts and nae toilet.

Someone brought one of those water at work urn hings and that was passed around at the back of the bus and tipped out every so often.

The midnight departure from Daniels and then the driver deciding to go the route right down through Wales made for some experience.

Our bus left the joker at a similar time...my abiding memory is two guys being that wasted prior to the bus leaving, that one got left in the pub and the other pished himself and sat all the way to Wales with pishy jeans on.

The European adventures to Nancy, Odense, Llanelli and Bucharest were outstanding...and never straightforward 

The amount of money they must have raked in from Well fans at their ground buying booze and shite merchandise that day must have been what saw them through another few years before they Rangersed everywhere.

On another note, Parc Y Scarlets was a great ground and one I'd very much be in favour of us having one built like in future.

Nancy was a fucking amazing trip. Felt like every Motherwell fan you'd ever met in your life was there with you. Thankfully we took a straightforward way there and flew to Paris before getting the train onto Nancy. 

The Thursday in the square will live me until the day I pop my clogs. What an amazing day! Up early doors, each one of us buying crates of lager from the supermarket before they ran out and just having a great time in the square all day before the big march to the ground. I remember being starving at one point in the afternoon so took a wee jaunt out of the square. Found a wee deli thing so popped in and asked, in French btw (standard grade French in full use like a pro!), for a ham & cheese baguette and the woman proceeded to hand me over a baguette which was about 6ft long. It was fucking magic after 2 days on the lager and was only about €2. 

Special mention to @Mitch as well for being the daft c**t to launched himself off the big fountain and ended up walking to the game looking like Terry Butcher with his bandage on his heid and blood-soaked 'Well top. Some absolutely meltit guys in that ground. There must be a good chunk of folk who have no recollection of the game itself. 

Another food related tale the following day was a few of us heading into a wee cafe and ordering burgers and chips all round. Only for them to be served without rolls. Just a burger and some fries. Wee Marty (known to many on here, I'm sure) raises his hands in disgust and in his best French accent (it wasn't great) shouts out, "Where is ze bun!? Where is ze bun!?"

Ah, like was said above. You could write a book on that trip. Levante was an underrated trip as well. 

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Yes - that's the one I was on :)

Was on the bus with Big Pie and Matt Johnston. We got to the Hyper market in Calais, first stop off the ferry. Someone commented that they had found the French equivalent of MadDog 20-20 and the shelves were emptied. About an hour further into the journey and with everyone getting steaming on "le 20-20", I was passed a bottle and afer a swig and quick check of the label announced that it was in actual fact "Orange Cordial" - ZERO percent alcohol. You never saw guys sober up so quick in your life 😄.

A similar thing happened at the stadium in Nancy - where it took ages for some to realise the "beer" they were selling was actually "alcohol free" 😞

52 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Was on the bus with Big Pie and Matt Johnston. We got to the Hyper market in Calais, first stop off the ferry. Someone commented that they had found the French equivalent of MadDog 20-20 and the shelves were emptied. About an hour further into the journey and with everyone getting steaming on "le 20-20", I was passed a bottle and afer a swig and quick check of the label announced that it was in actual fact "Orange Cordial" - ZERO percent alcohol. You never saw guys sober up so quick in your life 😄.

A similar thing happened at the stadium in Nancy - where it took ages for some to realise the "beer" they were selling was actually "alcohol free" 😞

That's a memory trigger - I remember the French Ki-ora that had "Sans Alcohol" in big writing on it :)

It's a year to the day since our Friday night game against Aberdeen was postponed around lunchtime. I was due to head out straight from work to meet some mates in the pub with the plan to also return there after the guy to meet some other non-Motherwell fans. It seems fairly wild now considering what happened in the following months that we just met up in the pub as planned (which was packed).

Glad we managed it actually as ended up being the last hurrah.

Scott Robinson has been left out of the Livi team today amid suggestions that he won't play again for us. A Livi fan on their thread suggests he has signed a PCA for us as part of our ongoing attempts to take their whole team. He also says they won't miss him (but they always say that when a player is leaving).

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Scott Robinson has been left out of the Livi team today amid suggestions that he won't play again for us. A Livi fan on their thread suggests he has signed a PCA for us as part of our ongoing attempts to take their whole team. He also says they won't miss him (but they always say that when a player is leaving).

To be fair, it was me that said we wont miss him. I didn't say he was away. He's been a sub/rotation player for about 3 or 4 years. He's also a CM that we've been playing as a striker but he doesn't fit our system. We have a lot of better options at CM, and we're light up front but it looks like we'll recruit there in the summer. 

I really don't think he's good enough to be a starter for us, before his goalscoring stretch this season he really didn't do much (apart from always scoring against Celtic) to justify being in the team. I'd be happy to see him stay at us in a rotation/sub level but nowhere near a starter for us. 

Apart from us clearly committing to a bit in signing Livi's team I don't really know much about Robinson other he started out at Hearts and he's chipped in with a few goals for Livi this season. If as @ATLIS says he's a midfielder he's not an obvious replacement for either Polworth or Campbell and I'd guess he's not a holding mid given he seems to be a midget so I'd guess we might quite fancy him as a "forward" of sorts.

Taking a quick look at his goals on YouTube it kind of feels like in the role he's been playing this season for Livi he'd be a more budget-friendly version of Long as an option off the bench if he ends up here.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Apart from us clearly committing to a bit in signing Livi's team I don't really know much about Robinson other he started out at Hearts and he's chipped in with a few goals for Livi this season. If as @ATLIS says he's a midfielder he's not an obvious replacement for either Polworth or Campbell and I'd guess he's not a holding mid given he seems to be a midget so I'd guess we might quite fancy him as a "forward" of sorts.

Taking a quick look at his goals on YouTube it kind of feels like in the role he's been playing this season for Livi he'd be a more budget-friendly version of Long as an option off the bench if he ends up here.

We're playing him as a target man despite being about 5'6. He's decent in the air and tenacious in chasing down defenders. I'd definitely say he isn't a striker though, natural positions has always been CM/CAM. 

I really do think the record/form he hit with us this season will never be replicated again by him. On a scale of Gallagher to Lamie, he's somewhere in the middle but closer to Lamie. A 3 on the Lamie-Gallagher index.