Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That is something special, he really has a hard on for Tommy Wright. I loved this bit in particular

‘And he was the manager Motherwell’s club captain Declan Gallagher wanted to play for when he decided to leave Livingston a couple of years ago.’

Was he really? Why didn’t he sign then?

As was said at the time, Nicolson was pretty much best mates with Tommy Wright for a decade.

Quite why Motherwell fans have got so riled up at whats just a puff piece to big up his friend is weird. Just do what Saints fans are doing, and sit back and enjoy him relegating Kilmarnock.

I don’t think it’s that outrageous to think a manager with 7 years experience managing in Scotland and 9 years coaching here was a more natural shout than a guy who’s never played, coached or managed here. It’s worked out for Motherwell which is obviously the most important thing but I was surprised at the choice made at the time. 

6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

That is something special, he really has a hard on for Tommy Wright. I loved this bit in particular

‘And he was the manager Motherwell’s club captain Declan Gallagher wanted to play for when he decided to leave Livingston a couple of years ago.’

Was he really? Why didn’t he sign then?

Wright clearly told him that his time at St Johnstone was drawing to a close so Gallagher pitched up at Fir Park under the assumption that once Robinson was gone he'd finally get a chance to work with Wright. We ruined this dream linkup by appointing Alexander, hence the "gun to the head" outburst.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think it’s that outrageous to think a manager with 7 years experience managing in Scotland and 9 years coaching here was a more natural shout than a guy who’s never played, coached or managed here. It’s worked out for Motherwell which is obviously the most important thing but I was surprised at the choice made at the time. 

I don’t think anyone would have had any real complaints had Wright been given the job. What’s hilarious is the individuals who made out that we were basically turning down Pep Guardiola by not giving it to him. 

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We have never appointed a manager with top flight experience in Scotland, so he had no chance.

McGhee mkII was a reappointment and before him Bobby Watson was a while ago.

15 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbf to Eric Nicholson, there is a kernel of truth in the paragraph about Wright's fashion choices. Have you seen the nick of him? Motherwell Football Club simply demand far higher standards in that department than riffraff like Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.0_Motherwell-FC.thumb.jpg.9a5ba70c573718c53d0abe3fdb140689.jpg

Aaron Chapman though. 

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite why Motherwell fans have got so riled up at whats just a puff piece to big up his friend is weird

I don't see anyone riled - just laughing when puff pieces get re-read in the cold light of day.

45 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We've survived 35+ years in the league - considerably longer than any other club our size -  and have almost never appointed someone who has managed in the league before - it would be a bigger surprise if we had have gone for Wright.

It’s been a long time since Motherwell did the obvious managerial appointment, think malpas was the last one we all saw coming, so I do think it is a stretch to call it natural shout we were going to appoint Wright.

The fact is that article is an embarrassment and the writer really needs to get Wrights knob out his mouth.

54 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Except if you knew anything yoy'd know your way of thinking is completely wrong.  You know it's not the Motherwell thing to hire Scottish retreds.  

People said the same when we went with Robbo and County went with Coyle.  

It's like you know, the Motherwell Board actually know what they're doing or something.  🤷‍♂️